Mccall To Crystal Palace

siebsbarmyarmy

I always thought this would be McCall's last season with the club. He took over a team and helped them finish 'best of the rest' and then did it again with the team he rebuilt.

However, I thought he'd fancy one more crack at the Cups before he moved on. Of course, you never know when an opportunity is going to come up, but I still think he'd be a better gaffer than back room assistant.

Be careful what you wish for folks.

Spot on! I dont post often but cant believe what I am reading! Yeh, time for a change in direction, obviously finishing 3rd, 2nd and 2nd in three consecutive seasons under McCall is not good enough! Eh, this is Motherwell guys.. what the hell do we expect?! We have had some horrible cup results and the last 4 or 5 games have been hard work but bloody hell show the man some loyalty after what he has deliver over his time in charge. Some of you guys are in for a serious wake up call, Stuart McCall has massively over achieved as have Motherwell over his time in charge, end of! I suspect when we look back this will turn out to be one of the purple patches in our history (just a pity we have managed to lift a trophy).

• Like 3

Spot on! I dont post often but cant believe what I am reading! Yeh, time for a change in direction, obviously finishing 3rd, 2nd and 2nd in three consecutive seasons under McCall is not good enough! Eh, this is Motherwell guys.. what the hell do we expect?! We have had some horrible cup results and the last 4 or 5 games have been hard work but bloody hell show the man some loyalty after what he has deliver over his time in charge. Some of you guys are in for a serious wake up call, Stuart McCall has massively over achieved as have Motherwell over his time in charge, end of! I suspect when we look back this will turn out to be one of the purple patches in our history (just a pity we have managed to lift a trophy).

I love a good game of Cliché Bingo.

• Like 2

Who are these 'quality' candidates then that will be interested and affordable?

Guys of similar stature to McCall who applied last time. In recent history there have been around 40 candidates applied for the Motherwell position each time it became vacant - and the doesn't include the people who didn't apply that the club has reached out to.

Maybe Faddy has his coaching badges and is looking for a change of career :popcorn:

Could not agree more. To suggest that it is time for a change because one of the most successful managers in our history has become stale is madness. The longer we keep Stuart McCall the better because he has delivered unprecedented success on a budget most other managers would laugh at. A change of manager would be a disaster for us, especially when I consider the likely suspects who would no doubt fancy their chances.

• Like 1

Could not agree more. To suggest that it is time for a change because one of the most successful managers in our history has become stale is madness. The longer we keep Stuart McCall the better because he has delivered unprecedented success on a budget most other managers would laugh at. A change of manager would be a disaster for us, especially when I consider the likely suspects who would no doubt fancy their chances.

I'm with you on this. I'm at a loss as to what folk expect will happen if McCall goes and I think the level of criticism he has received over a relatively few poor performances -compared with Well teams under previous managers - is out of all proportion. Be careful what you wish for.

^ Good post, I think that it's time for us to develop from within both in terms of youth players and coaching staff too. We should be getting the likes of Keef and Hammy doing their coaching badges with solid job offers upon completion. It's a shame that Craggs didn't stay on as a coach, I see he's with the N.I.Youths now and he could have been good for us too.

I'm sure Las and Hammy have done/are doing their badges, im sure I read that somewhere........and as for Craggs, he left and never stayed in football because there was more money in what he is doing now.

I think we all need to remember that for alot of the players, one of the main reasons they are here is Stuart McCall - they might not take to someone else and that will only lead to disaster.

If the story is true, to me its a smart move by Palace - getting a well thought of manager who knows the Scottish game inside out, can take a few gems down south for peanuts are sell them on for a very healthy profit. Its a man Warnock obviously trusts and can get him to do alot of his day to day running.

Again, all hypothetical - I'd be sad to see him go, however, its a move that he totally deserves after what he has achieved with ourselves

I'm with you on this. I'm at a loss as to what folk expect will happen if McCall goes and I think the level of criticism he has received over a relatively few poor performances -compared with Well teams under previous managers - is out of all proportion. Be careful what you wish for.

The team is going to go through a serious rebuild next season with the backbone of our team aging, players leaving who are out of contract and not in our plans and perhaps others leaving as well.

If McCall is going to be our manager he has to commit to the club for the immediate future relatively soon. IMO, we can't go into the back end of this season with McCall's contract ending and uncertainty over who the manager will be.

The team is going to go through a serious rebuild next season with the backbone of our team aging, players leaving who are out of contract and not in our plans and perhaps others leaving as well.

If McCall is going to be our manager he has to commit to the club for the immediate future relatively soon. IMO, we can't go into the back end of this season with McCall's contract ending and uncertainty over who the manager will be.

I don't disagree with the point you make the need for SMcC to commit to a future with us. I'm fed up with folk decrying what he has achieved.

That's quite odd that Andy Smith's name should crop up. I spotted him outside Fir Park before the St Johnstone game the other week. Wondered as to his presence, if perhaps he now stayed locally, or was just taking in a game.

He is one of the senior coaches in our Academy and the most qualified. His is also highly-regarded by both the boys and the parents of the age-group he has directly coached, which is rare in pro-youth football.

Whether any of that merits him a more senior position at the club is for others more knowlegable than me to say, but it does explain his presence.

Our support gets Old Firmier with every passing year of success. We are now incapable of dealing with an injury crisis and poor run of form without going into meltdown, and about ten games after finishing second with a completely rebuilt team we are happy to see a 'stale' manager leave. Unreal!

Our support as always been quite reactionary (we all have our moments) but mcall done a great jib, he was my choice at the time, but if he wants the more money and a higher profile for less pressure then fair play to him and I wont worry about my team he has done a wonderful job and I think he is fed up with the restraints and he cant do much more at this club!

I would be happy with shields developed young players played nice football and always stood up for killie very unfairly sacked! Didn't do well at Morton but they were a mess we're not!

He is one of the senior coaches in our Academy and the most qualified. His is also highly-regarded by both the boys and the parents of the age-group he has directly coached, which is rare in pro-youth football.

Whether any of that merits him a more senior position at the club is for others more knowlegable than me to say, but it does explain his presence.

Ahh right. Cheers for the information WishyWell.

Any more shite than predicting an 8-0 defeat every other time we are due to play Celtic?

I wouldn't say so no.

My prediction may be, in fact is glass half empty, but it's not at all beyond the realms of possibility given our poor start to the season, our shaky defence, Celtic's ability to high score and our dreadful record at Parkhead. Yes I'm predicting the worst case scenario but its a possibility that I am making a guess at coming to fruition.

The claim that our support is becoming more like the 'Old Firm' is completely different and is utter shite in my book. Our support is no different to any other and all folk are doing in this thread is discussing the possibility of McCall moving on and how it wouldn't be necessarily a bad thing for us despite his past achievements. He's done a decent job and his league record is superb, no one can deny him that, but if you take a step back and look at his performance in a wider context then there have been many failings too.

• Like 1