Dundee Utd V Motherwell 24/01/2015

siebsbarmyarmy

Having seen everything again I have much the same feelings.

-Should have had a pen

-Ball didn't look like it crossed the line however it was handled badly by Thompson

-Pearson and Erwin were at the heart of everything we created and we looked far more of a threat going forward with those two in the team

-With the chances we had we should have left with a point at the very least.

Much more positive today, still a lot of work to be done but signs that all is not lost. Big week coming up now both on and off the park.

From the highlights

Looked a stonewall pen on Erwin, but I think his extra step before he went down made Thompson not give it.

Pearson's looked a bit softer but seen them given.

Goal didn't look over the line.

Have a look at our defending from the corner in particular the angle from behind the goal. At least three players not paying attention in fact Reid is looking at the ref when the ball us played in ffs! :wallbash:

We actually looked like we had a bit of fight about us though, thank God!

Pleased to see that Moore involved in the last 2 games. Wonder if there is a possibility of him and Erwin lining up either side of Sutton. Two really good prospects that are ready to standout in this league.

yes lobey good prospects ... but can we really throw them into the fireing line just now giving the situation we are inn with only ??? so many games to go with a bit of luck we can stay up and they would good game time and be ready to hit the ground next season ,,,,,,only a thought like :whistling:

yes lobey good prospects ... but can we really throw them into the fireing line just now giving the situation we are inn with only ??? so many games to go with a bit of luck we can stay up and they would good game time and be ready to hit the ground next season ,,,,,,only a thought like :whistling:

Of course we stick them in. The alternative is playing the haddies that have been crap all season. It's almost the end of January - those players aren't suddenly going to flick a switch and then it on.

At last a bit of fight yday.

can anyone enlighten me on the drop ball rules....Thompson gives, then disallows the "goal"... awards a drop ball in the 6 yard box, pearson goes to contest it, is waved away, ref drops the ball and their keeper picks it up

and sends it downfield to set them up in attack.

can anyone enlighten me on the drop ball rules....Thompson gives, then disallows the "goal"... awards a drop ball in the 6 yard box, pearson goes to contest it, is waved away, ref drops the ball and their keeper picks it up

and sends it downfield to set them up in attack.

After Willie Collums recent displays I thought that level of ineptitude couldn't be surpassed however Thompson ably assisted by the linesmen managed that. He failed to award a stonewall penalty constantly let heavy tackles go unpunished yet stopped the flow of the game with silly little awards.

But you could nearly accept that he was just a shocking ref but until now I have never witnessed a referee basically make up rules over his handling of the non goal award, there's been little reference to it in the media but I would expect Sportscene tonight to highlight it. Thompson needs to be taken to task by the SFA over this and should be removed from officiating at all further games. I understand interpretation of laws can be tricky at times but referees can not start making them up.

According to Fifa,

Dropped ball

Any player may challenge for the ball (including the goalkeeper). There is no

minimum or maximum number of players required to contest a dropped ball.

The referee cannot decide who may or may not contest a dropped ball.

http://www.fifa.com/...ben_neutral.pdf

So that clears it up then :-)

Then it's up to bara to highlight in interviews etc. Gannon wouldn't stand for fake rules nonsense, that's for sure. Mr Dallas would have got a letter :lol:

Thought he already had a pretty reasonable dig at the ref (not about the drop-ball incident) in his post-match interview, when he explained very carefully how easily confused the words "play" and "goal" can be.

If the referee misheard the shout of the assistant which is possible as the radio wasn't working then awarding the drop ball was correct. However, to not allow us to contest it was just plain bizarre. I've not watched the highlights but it did look like Fojut just pushed McManus out the road at the corner and it was a blatant foul. Not Craig Thomson's finest day. If he replicates the goal/no goal scenario next Sunday, all hell will break loose.

Is it just me that thinks Erwin will fall down at any opportunity? Seen him drop to ground 4 or 5 times this season.

Seems a bit that way sadly, immediate thought when I read he was involved in the penalty shout was "it probably wasn't a penalty then".

That said, Dougie Arnott had a bit of a propensity for falling over when he first joined us, and he turned out not so bad.