Partick Thistle V Motherwell Tue 2 Feb 19:45

Yabba's Turd

In a technical sense it was a rotten game, but it wasn't a boring game. A combination of shite pitch and Partick simply crowding out any attempts by us to play football kept things tight.

Not panicking yet as the difference between this year and last year is that despite poor results the team don't seem in freefall and do seem to have a togetherness which was lacking.

I believe it was one idividual, who went along with family members. (saw someone online mention he wasn't with them.)

I wasn't there myself but I am sick of seeing a load of photos of police having to get involved in our own end. It doesn't happen for nothing.

As far as I could see there was absolutely no trouble in the stand whatsoever and no flares or smoke bombs but I was mainly looking the other way towards the end we were attacking so I may have missed something.

I then saw about four police trying to gathering around a boy of about 15 or 16. There was an argument between the police with some fans and then a police woman tried to grab the boy and pull him out the row. The boy resisted moving backwards and then about 8 police all weighted in. The boy darted off into the crowd and the police, after making a complete fool of themselves gave up. A bit later the boy came out of the crowd again and the same thing happened only this time 15 police officers (I counted them) all weighed in. After that the 'action' moved away from where I was sitting and I'm not sure if the lad was actually arrested, I didn't see him being taken out, but the whole thing seemed to be extremely heavy handed and unnecessary. There was young children in the crowd in tears due to the completely over the top reaction of police.

The boy didn't do himself any favours by resisting arrest twice but who can say that they wouldn't react in the same way if you had 8 or 15 police officer manhandling you for what seemed to be next to nothing?

I've been going to the football for a long time and I've never been involved in casuals or ultras or anything like that. I'm a middle aged man and I don't approve of everything some of the younger Motherwell fans do (including throwing flares and smoke bombs) but scenes like this have to be put into context. The police last night caused much more trouble than they prevented. The police were a bigger danger last night to the general public than any supporter.

It also irks me that every police officer there last night probably earned my days wage over the duration of the game in overtime and that I am paying for it twice, both as a football supporter and a tax payer. There was absolutely no requirement for 15 police officers to be in that section of one stand, never mind them charging around like the Keystone Cops trying to lift naughty boys.

• Like 4

I dont blame McGhee at all. The biggest problem was when hall came off injured and we had to use a substitution to bring kennedy on. If that hadnt off happened im sure he was have put fletcher on and looked to get him to hold the ball up. Moult needed to come off as he looked likely to be sent off due to frustration. I thought cadden was good in the first half, but started to look a bit lost in the second half and needed to come off. partick werent threatening much and having 3 centre mids meant we could lose a bit of our defensiveness and get lionel on with some pace and try to catch them on the counter.

The fact that the goal was a deflection just goes to show that the teams where pretty equal and either team could have won it. I dont think McGhee had a lot of options and what he did was the most logical thing possible.

Lots of issues here but I'll confine my comments to policing/stewarding. From a policing point of view, our fans are an easy target and provide "an easy win" so to speak in a high profile political issue. They are few in number and are involved in what we'll call "controversial incidents". Would they behave in the same way towards Celtic/Sevco fans? We all know the answer to that.

Did we not get a point at Pittodrie scored by one of McGhee's substitutes?

Did we not beat Kilmarnock after Moult came off the bench to net the winner?

It may not be sweetness and light but things are rarely as black you seem to paint them.

Fair points regarding previous successful substitutions but I disagree that things aren't as black as I paint them.

If Killie beat us on Feb 13th they leapfrog us and we go 11th. Then we play Utd on the Tuesday! How much bleaker would you like it?

• Like 1

It's so so tight that we need to be fully focused that we are in a fight to stay out the playoffs. No room for complacency or lack of fight. As the manager has said...a couple of wins things start to look rosey, but a couple of losses and not so much.

It would take a major collapse (extended collapse?) and Dundee Utd to suddenly start winning for the bottom spot to overly worry me. I cant see them doing that.

Inverness, Accies and Thistle are all very much involved in this fight too.

Fair points regarding previous successful substitutions but I disagree that things aren't as black as I paint them.

If Killie beat us on Feb 13th they leapfrog us and we go 11th. Then we play Utd on the Tuesday! How much bleaker would you like it?

Note the word often Milo.

More a generalisation of your posting style than the current snapshot in time. I find the good points you make - of which there are many - are smothered and lost in a sea of panic and fear that utter disaster lurks permanently around the corner.

But to take the current state of affairs the flip side to your fears about Kilmarnock and Dundee Utd is that we have a wonderful opportunity with successive fixtures against the 11th and 12th placed sides in the table to give ourselves breathing space.

I think on reflection Milo it probably seems like I'm forever pulling you up about how you view things but I think at the root of it all I want to do is ease your worries.

You know like a matey arm round the shoulder and reassure you things aren't as bad, that it'll all turn out okay.

Rather than just be some arsehole on the Internet whose always on your case! In case it comes across that way.

The police were definitely overly heavy handed in trying to deal with the boy, but it did look to me from where I was that he was antagonising/goading them. Getting close up then doing the runner job. I was not close enough to know what was said by any of the parties. Regardless of what was said, 10-15 police wading in after one youngster looked like a complete over reaction.

I did overhear a conversation behind me that supposedly the boy had had an altercation with stewards prior to the police incident and police were looking for him due to that. Kicked off over a flag being hung over advertising hoarding supposedly. (That's not first hand, its just what I heard)

I think on reflection Milo it probably seems like I'm forever pulling you up about how you view things but I think at the root of it all I want to do is ease your worries.

You know like a matey arm round the shoulder and reassure you things aren't as bad, that it'll all turn out okay.

Rather than just be some arsehole on the Internet whose always on your case! In case it comes across that way.

I don't take your posts like that at all.

We're here to discuss Motherwell because we care about the club. A minimum of 4 points from the Utd and Killie games would certainly go a long way to re-assuring me everything will be ok (although I still wouldn't be totally convinced....) so if you can sort that out, that would be magic!

I admit I post and vent here when emotions are at their rawest. It's a valuable outlet! I'm afraid I will have to continue to post my undiluted not always constructive yet honest take on all things Motherwell.

Whats all this about ainsworth getting the blame? not seen anything about him getting direct blamed but seen others talking about it?

From the media suggestions there were words in the dressing room directed at Ainsworth. Just hope many of them have since watched the video (Pearson, McManus, Kennedy, Law etc) as there was a catalogue of errors in the build up to their goal.

Win and lose as a team.

• Like 2