Roma connection

TrouserTent

I was lucky enough to catch a Roma game whilst over there a couple of weeks ago so have taken an interest in their results since. 

Apart from their excellent taste in strips and colour, is there an other connection to Motherwell FC because I noticed Andy capp on a flag the other night on the telly

(if  this is common knowledge, I'll get me coat) 

Screenshot_20180225-200143.png

According to Wiki, this is the origin of their colours: "The club's home colours are Tyrian purple and gold, which gives Roma their nickname "I Giallorossi" ("The Yellow and Reds"). Their club badge features a she-wolf, an allusion to the founding myth of Rome."

Both colours are of a dark shade, approximating to our colours.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, claretband said:

Looks like there's an Andy Capp pizzeria in Rome, which sounds almost as bizarre as the flag. 

I think the reason is that Roma are seen as the working-class club of the capital while Lazio are  the middle-class bunch, as well as having  nasty fascist associations.

Presumably the 'toon was syndicated in Italy, since I don't think many Italians read the Daily Mirror. Translating the strip into Italian must have been fun.....

6 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

I think the reason is that Roma are seen as the working-class club of the capital while Lazio are  the middle-class bunch, as well as having  nasty fascist associations.

Presumably the 'toon was syndicated in Italy, since I don't think many Italians read the Daily Mirror. Translating the strip into Italian must have been fun.....

Roma are the city club, Lazio the surrounding countryside, ie urban working class for Roma, wealthy suburbans, land owners, farmers etc for Lazio.

Of course that's a generalisation, just like the fact that Roma are a left wing club and Lazio are a right wing club.  Clubs like Roma have supporters who span the whole political spectrum and you don't have to go far to find extreme politics anywhere in Italy, Communism and Fascism still have a hold on Italian politics. 

• Like 1