Resign Mcghee?

Malky79

Ok so I started that thread earlier in the season when I was particuarly outraged at way things were going.

I don't think he should resign, but I think if as commonly put about he got his wage doubled last summer I think we should be renegociating his wage back down the way this summer.

Last season was an awful lot to live up to but this season but a huge diappointment and I think McGhee has played his part, baffling tactical decisions at big games, abandoning the idea of football when we persisted with hoofing it to Sutton and Porter for two months. Losing McCormack and Porter eventually summer meant we were never going to do as well this season as last but I think we could have done better and our manager if willing to take the extra money when he earns it should be willing to take a pay cut in these credit crunched times when standards slip.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The deal before that was agreed, if we can negotiate up we can negotiate down.

Not saying McGhee would and if I was him I'd probably do a Fred Goodwin and say get to, but point I making is I think for all the good he done us he very much not value for money at the moment. But I'm fickle.

Last season we had a settled side and settled tactics.

This season we've not, hence poorer performance.

Even so, McGhee has been guilty of tinkering when he didn't need to this season and he's no good once the game kicks off. He's shown himself to be completely unwilling to make early changes when it was obvious they had to be made. He's substitutions have also been quite baffling.

McGhee needs to up his performance and improve and learn lessons but realisticly he's still a better manager than 90% of the candidates the club would attract.

Some folk are just going a bit too far here. I'm just as angry as everyone else at the pishy performance today but at the end of the day we are a team who are probably just above relegation material but not quite top 6 certaintys so we ended up on the wrong side of the split this season it even's itself out over the course. It's not the end of the world

If mcghee does resign who do you propose we get in? Leitch? Get Malpas back? Yogi from Falkirk? I'm happy to keep things the way they are and start building for next year by getting the young boys a run out in the next 5 friendlys

Some folk are just going a bit too far here. I'm just as angry as everyone else at the pishy performance today but at the end of the day we are a team who are probably just above relegation material but not quite top 6 certaintys so we ended up on the wrong side of the split this season it even's itself out over the course. It's not the end of the world

If mcghee does resign who do you propose we get in? Leitch? Get Malpas back? Yogi from Falkirk? I'm happy to keep things the way they are and start building for next year by getting the young boys a run out in the next 5 friendlys

What broony said, agree 100% Some people are under the impression Leitch would make a cracking manager, are these the same people that thought the same about mo malpas?

resign...not there with you on that

But he's not earned his inflated wage thnis season

If he does stay in the summer, he'll get to christmas to turn it around

As I have said in another post, get the young boys in the Under 19's should be rewarded for there good season

Mark McGhee is one of the few positives about Motherwell at the moment and in fact Scottish Football in general. Unfortunately he is working with players that are just not good enough in a league that is at best mediocre. So he moves his left back to left midfield. So what? Hammell is a profesional football player so it is up to him to go out and perform. That he can't just shows that he is not good enough. That Mark Reynolds makes the wrong decision under pressure is not McGhees fault it just means Reynolds is not good enough.

Stephen Hughes is the only player in that team that deserves to play in a top league in a European country. That guys like John Sutton and Jim Hamilton (is there any difference in quality between these two players?) play in Scotland's top division shows how poor our league really is.

The pitch thing has been talked about but again today it played a major part in what was a dreadful game of football. How can two professional teams be expected to play on that. It is a total embarrasment. Everything about what we watched today screams second rate. Mark McGhee and Stephen Hughes deserve something better. As for us supporters we deserve better too but unfortunately it's not going to change and we are all too loyal or stupid to simply walk away.

St Mirrens second goal was one entertaining second in 5399 seconds of dross.

you think those mentioned would command the wages McGhee gets? Last season he seemed more animated, and more vocal from the sidelines. This season im not even sure he looks interested.

Rather than build on last season, we have gone backwards. Granted we've lost McCormack and Porter, but other weaknesses within the team have never been adressed. Our younger players have also failed to improve. Murphy's development has been sacrificed for a celtic reject.

Although facilities are better than what they were 20 years ago, the standard and entertainment value is getting worse by each passing season. Guys like McGhee, and the other coaches must shoulder the blame for that, as they are the ones over seeing the training.

Scottish football is dying in it's present format.

I think McGhee will be our manager next season, his problem as far as i'm concerned is that he does not seem ever to have a plan B if Plan A isn't working.

Today he played Hammel in midfield!!!!

He played coach at left back!!!!!

And O'Brien had a shot at both sides of the park!!!!

WHY!!!!

Changes should have been made at half time because although we did ok first half we never looked like scoring therefore plan a was not working!!!!

Subs are allowed for a reason....

you think those mentioned would command the wages McGhee gets? Last season he seemed more animated, and more vocal from the sidelines. This season im not even sure he looks interested.

They don't command the same wages as McGhee because with this squad the only place they wold be heading is the first division.

The fact that you have a hunch that McGhee might no be interested anymore doesn't cut it for me. I actually think he was desperate to build on last year and will be gutted that we've not quite made it. So We've finished 7th. Disappointing yes, but it's no a major disaster.

And if we're pointing fingers, the pitch has hindered our style so much, it should have been sorted PROPERLY last season. Considering our pre 2009 form and the fact that we have lost two of the best strikers in Scotland, we've not done that bad. A bit of perspective required perhaps.

I think McGhee will be our manager next season, his problem as far as i'm concerned is that he does not seem ever to have a plan B if Plan A isn't working.

Today he played Hammel in midfield!!!!

He played coach at left back!!!!!

And O'Brien had a shot at both sides of the park!!!!

WHY!!!!

Changes should have been made at half time because although we did ok first half we never looked like scoring therefore plan a was not working!!!!

Subs are allowed for a reason....

I can't agree with anything you say. He played Hammell in midfield (!!!!!!) coz he obviously felt that Hammell and O'Brien offer a decent attacking threat, and we have two capable full backs to fill in. He played Coach at left back (!!!!!!) and, in my opinion, it worked. Coach had a good game. A couple of dodgy touches, but I thought he did really well. O'Brien also had a relatively good game, so I don't see what the problem is with switching wings. Changes, in my opinion, should not have been made at half time because it was clear to see we were pretty much in control of the game. Again, changes shouldn't have been made until the end of the game or until St Mirren scored, because we were the better team and they scored against the run of play.

Edit, you're spot on Beesher, perspective is exactly what's required!

The man is a top class bloke and a top class manager. Im sure next year if he is still here we will do really well. He has brought in some astute purchases and i know boab malcolm isn't in this bracket but im confident we will be cracking on in the top six next year. Cant believe after that amazing run of games without defeat we still remain 7th

resign...not there with you on that

But he's not earned his inflated wage thnis season

If he does stay in the summer, he'll get to christmas to turn it around

As I have said in another post, get the young boys in the Under 19's should be rewarded for there good season

Can I just point out for you and anyone else that not read my post properly I didn't suggest he should resign nor am I calling for his head.

Anyone who wants McGhee sacked or to resign is a cock in my opinion. We have always been a team who fights near the bottom af the league bar the odd time and we will always will be a team like that given our resources.

McGhee is a great manager and i think easily the best we have had since Tommy McLean. Too many people are ready to pounce on the manager as soon as we get a bad result and although he is not beyond criticism i don't think he deserves the abuse he gets. You are allowed to criticise the manager without wanting him out the door everytime his tactics are wrong or he's said something you don't agree with.

It is becoming a joke and he is certainly not an easy replacement if he had to leave.

Who would these people like to see take McGhee's place if he left please let us know?

I can't agree with anything you say. He played Hammell in midfield (!!!!!!) coz he obviously felt that Hammell and O'Brien offer a decent attacking threat, and we have two capable full backs to fill in. He played Coach at left back (!!!!!!) and, in my opinion, it worked. Coach had a good game. A couple of dodgy touches, but I thought he did really well. O'Brien also had a relatively good game, so I don't see what the problem is with switching wings. Changes, in my opinion, should not have been made at half time because it was clear to see we were pretty much in control of the game. Again, changes shouldn't have been made until the end of the game or until St Mirren scored, because we were the better team and they scored against the run of play.

Edit, you're spot on Beesher, perspective is exactly what's required!

Hammel is never a midfielder, he looked lost at times today.

Coach is never a left back, and then to move him into midfield.....it just doesn't look good for coach and people were getting on his back when you can't blame him for playing where he's been told to play, likewise Hammel.

O'Brien did not have his best game , maybe nerves who knows but why move him to the other wing if your not playing well in your favoured position?????

We may have looked like the better team in the first half but who came home with the 3 points!!!!!

Bad result today? Obviously. Could the season have gone better? Yeah, I think it could have.

But for me talk of a change of manager at this time is way off of the mark. I'll be only too happy if McGhee's in charge next season.