Happy Anniversary

fatcalf

Gawd we're gettin' auld, how many years that noo? Still only seems like last season.

:rolleyes:

Naw it doesnae! It's too long ago.

I'd only been coming to the 'Well from about '86/87. Within a few years we'd won a Scottish Cup.

18 years later I'm still waiting!

We are fortunate to have sampled such an amazing day.

Despite being 6 at the time, I can still remember most of the day clear as day.

I very much doubt anything will ever beat that!

What an amazing achievement by the club.

Wee Tommy got the most out of his collected bunch of 'journeymen' and FP youth. A team that ran themselves into the ground and worked like trojans for one another to achieve what they did.

Hats off to every single one of them and cheers Tommy!

I was too young at the time to remember anything about it, only have the dvd and the stories from folk that were there. The stories are all fantastic and to be honest after the open top bus on the dvd, most of it focuses in Girdwoods where their drink was reduced to 1952 prices! :rolleyes:

Closest I have experienced to a day like that would be the CIS Cup Final in 2005 or Nancy away. Both fantastic days, but I just can't wait to see us lift that trophy. Hopefully not have to wait too long either!

18 years on - wow. It does feel like yesterday. Easily the best day of my MFC supporting life - edging out the trip to Nancy.

Oddly I actually enjoyed the day of the 2005 CIS Cup Final (until 3.05pm) as there was less stress going into it - approaching the 1991 Final I was terrified we would lose, and after the heroics of getting there (especially the replay against Celtic) I would have been inconsolable had we lost. Have always said that one game captured everything being a Motherwell fan is all about - the lowest of lows (when Jackson equalised in injury time) and the highest of highs (going ahead, going 3-1 up, and then Kirky scoring the winner in extra time).

Awesome day.

Stuart.

For me nothing will ever beat our achievment that season.The whole experience was just awesome,the away win at Aberdeen starting it all off and then a rollercoaster few months,unforgettable games,performances and players all ending in an unforgettable win and amazing scenes of joy at the final whistle,the journey back to Motherwell,the joy in the streets and in Fir Park,the Civic Centre party,the open top bus tour the next day,the permanant grin etched on every well fans face,thanks to each and every player involved,and thank you Tommy :rolleyes::D ,ahm away to dig out the DVD and watch it again!!!!

Whenever the 1991 cup run comes up in discussion these days, the thing I always remember is us going to Tannadice the week before the Aberdeen game and an abject 3-0 defeat. I always remember because I heard someone after the game muttering that Aberdeen were going to need a cricket scoreboard. Just shows how much of an achievement it was for that team to win the cup...

What a day that was . Setting your video in the morning to record the whole thing ( i still had Betamax ) and driving into Hampden.

The game was fantastic , all the ups and downs during the game then the amazing finish. Driving home with your chest bursting with pride and the tears blinding you . Windows down , scarves hanging out , horns tooting. Whit a day.

Welldel got pished in Jack Daniels and he was only 15.

moanthewell let's no wait as long the next time.

What a day that was . Setting your video in the morning to record the whole thing ( i still had Betamax ) and driving into Hampden.

The game was fantastic , all the ups and downs during the game then the amazing finish. Driving home with your chest bursting with pride and the tears blinding you . Windows down , scarves hanging out , horns tooting. Whit a day.

Welldel got pished in Jack Daniels and he was only 15.

moanthewell let's no wait as long the next time.

Thats a terrible accusation !

I was 15 and a half.

Was a magic day/week , what I can remember of it. :rolleyes:

:)

Fine times, watching men become legends, Still to this day glow with pride whenever recalling the cup run,

Never made the Aberdeen game :( had been up there many times in the previous few years and for some reason the trip just didn't happen :wallbash: but can remember hearing Kirkie was coming off the bench and when the goal came through on the radio it was sheer joy. Never missed a first round tie since :blush:

Even then a cup tie against lower league opposition put fear into many 'Well fans so no real expectation for a good cup run from me when we played Falkirk, a good game however most memorable for a Joe McLeod goal! and off course Kirkie netting after coming of the bench.

the next games against Morton were the hardest for me, 0-0 was a chore but the replay immediately after had all the classic cup tie moments, take the lead, get pinned back (Johnny Gaghan :( ), nearly won it, nearly lost it, then penalities!! right in front of us!! and the Classic Colin Psycho O'Neill necksnapping forward role celebration sent us wild, Dare we believe??

the Glasgow Sellik in the next round, at Hampden, was the semi-final draw fixed?? not a classic football match this one but we could've won it , after a poor 1st half then some last ditch defending we pushed them back and should have got a penalty but as usual it wasn't given, Ian Ferguson then rattled the post, I thought it was going in! my heart sank and thought maybes that was our last chance, another replay ensued.

Did celtic ever lose a semi final replay? they pounded us in the first half on what was a horrible wet evening and Arnott goal kept us in it at 2-1 HT but the second half was where we seen the boys become men and the men become legends, quite simply the best 45minutes I've witnessed, Arnott equalised then came the goal of the tournament/season/lifetime the Psycho, 35yds out, decided he was hitting it, It was like slow motion a joy to see, 3-2, then Kirkie sealed the deal with a cross into the top stanchion, Was It In? I wasn't sure, Look to the Ref? YES, YES it WAS!!!!!!!!!!! never have I ever been in a crowd that went so mental(Caldwell against France was close, for those that were part of that) was the tie fixed?GIRFUY :P

Every 'Well fan knows the final, and I went into it with belief that never before/or since have I held as a 'Well fan, it was to be a rollercoaster in itself but the Coop' was back and I just didn't believe we could lose, BIG MISTAKE! :lol: Goals from Ferguson, O'Donnell and Angus were not enough to seal it in the 90minutes the break at full time seemed to rally the team and the fans, and Kirkie sealed his Legendary staus with the last of his goals in every round,

Grown men had been on their knees at full time, but now there were tears of joy, it had happened WE had won the cup :thumbup:

The team will live on forever in my memory: :notworthy:

Maxwell

Nijholt, Paterson, McCart, Boyd

Griffin, Angus, O'Donnell,

Cooper,Ferguson, Arnott,

Subs: Kirk, O'Neil

Very special mention to John 'Softie' Philliben who didn't make the final squad which was far too limited in those days

and a mention for Nicky Cusack and Joe 'could've bought a barratt house instead' McLeod

Got goosebumps reading that Brazilian! What fantastic memories to have.

Here's to many, many more wonderful memories just like that :notworthy:

Motherwell FC - they're not just a football club, they're a way of life!

18 Years! Man, I was only 22 back then, just a know-nothing kid. Funny to think that something that lives on so vividly in my memory was actually almost half-a-lifetime ago! Mental. Christ, that means it is 8 years since the 10-year anniversary too (DUH!) - and that was ANOTHER top notch day/night with many, many laughs.

I have never been as drained at the end of 90 minutes as I was that day. No idea how I made it through extra time.

I never slept a wink the night before and I was sick with nerves on the day.

Waited so long for that day and never though I would see it coming true (dreampt about it many's a time tho') - was there with my whole family - including three of the greatest well fans I've ever met amongst them - my old man (who was at the '52 win) and my brother-in-law. Both of them sadly no longer around. Plus (if I mind right) my nephew who must have been about 4 - who has been clad in claret and amber since the day he was born. I get really emotional when I think back to that time.

When you see the grusome twosome slug it out every year with their divine right to win - it puts that achievement into perspective.

They win the cup and the league all the time and it means sod all - They'll never have the privelege of knowing what it felt like that day. That's achievement son, achievement!

Great thread, you can beat those nostalgic "where were you" conversations with fellow supporters. My mrs was there, aged 14, and she still gets excited when it's mentioned. I bought the match programme from someone on here months ago ( can't remember your name, sorry :) ) and she was thrilled, having lost hers years ago.

I enjoyed reading your account of the day in your book, calfster.

From another point of view, it certainly makes me realise how spoilt I am, but then again, some fans never see their team win the cup.

I can hear Perry Como singing Magic Moments somewhere :)

I remember a few things in particular, like shouting "there's only one United, and that's a chocolate biscuit" at United fans to much amusement. I also left my jacket on the supporters bus and, after the game, had no idea which bus I was on, and therefore lost it! Everyone just piled onto whichever bus they could get on to, and it was weird how no-one could speak for a spell they were so drained....that didn't last long though! Walking all the way back from Motherwell to Viewpark that night, quite literally floating on air after a brilliant day. Straight in, on with a pizza and a complete re-run of the game. Magic!

Wow 18 years!!

The only cup run that I have been at every single tie, I daren't miss a third / fourth tie now, just in case.

Great day loads of memories I was there with all my mates but I also knew my dad (who was at the '52 final) and sister were also somewhere in the crowd.

Getting back to Motherwell via the train into the Electric for a couple of pints then up to Fir Park and actually missed the players but on to Sunday and the open top bus.

Not just one day but four months of great and unforgettable memories.

:huh::D:huh:B-)

Where does the time go?

Mind going up to Pittodrie on the Wishy bus, on my few trips up there I had never even seen the 'Well score a goal let alone win.

Cooper touches the free-kick to his right and yer man Kirk lets fly. Beach End went mental when the ball nestled in the old onion bag. Made it back to The Heathery in time for the highlights on Sportscene. Oh happy day but there was more to come!

Falkirk were leading the 1st division at the time as I remember and that was a tough game, we did well to come through 4-2.

Was stramge to say the least to see Johnny Gagahan lining up in the white of Morton instead of Claret & Amber after all those years. A tense 0-0 draw ended with the natives not happy at all. Midweek replay doon Cappielow and I had my tank on Motherwell half-time\full-time which didn't materialise. Pyscho's winning penalty will long live in the memory. Mind our back windae on the bus getting put in as we left the grun.

First Celtic game and how that was not a penalty when White(?) not so much man-handled (Arnott?) to the ground as wrestled him doon. Fergie's thunderbolt that smacked off post and bar almost put us in the final.

Replay and it didn't look too good approaching half time with them leading 2-1 and Coyne missing a good chance for 3-1. The team became legends in the second half and by the way, wasn't Cooper suspended for these 2 cup games? Credit to the whole team that night and if I live to be 100 I will never forget O'Neil's goal. Seemed to happen in slow-motion for me. Did he just do that? Was it really in? Were we really 3-2 up in a cup semi-final replay against Celtic. You're not meant to do that. Bonner's flailing arms which could've been better used putting oot the washing were never keeping that strike out. Kirk's goal put the tin lid on it. Grown men cried as they would do in the very same spot a few weeks later. Windae on the bus was put in that night also but we didney care. Mind getting aff at Motherwell Cross and many a supporter singing around the streets there.

Looked like Hamish French had put Utd in front early doors but ruled out for offside and it might even have been Darren Jackson who was off canny remember. Then they had a shot came off both posts was it? Ferguson's header and what a noise came from the terracing, Motherwell hadn't been ahead in a Scottish Cup final since 1952. Their equaliser was a blur and would have been kept out had Maxwell not been seriously injured by Clark who wusny even booked. Phil put us 2-1 in front shortly after and Kirk's delightful lay-off for Angus to thunder home the third had us in delerium. O'Neil gets one back and we're all whistling for Syme to blow for full time when a hoof doon the park isn't dealt with and Jackson sneaks in to make it 3-3. Malpas was it even then deep into injury time could have won the game for them. From Section J I couldn't tell if it hit the bar or Maxwell saved it. Not sure I could ever have got over that if that had gone in.

Kirk scored the first and ultimately, the last goal of the cup campaign and most of us were drained by then emotionally, physically and pyshcologically.

When the full time whistle went I had no more to give and slumped onto the barrier we were standing behind.

When Boyd lifted the cup to the fans he almost seemed to be saying "I can't believe it". Tommy's last game for us and what a way to go out.

I made sure to get back to Fir Park in good time and soon as we came off the M74, the crowds were out cheering the returning fans and waiting for the team bus.

I remember the streets around Fir Park were jam-packed, you literally could not move. I managed to bag a spot at Edward St\Fir Park St then heard a distant roar which flowed like a Claret & Amber wave became contagious and we knew the team bus was coming. The bus had to fight for every inch as it attempted to drive into Fir Park Street. The crowd cheering outside was caught on by the fans inside the ground. The players would eventually make it up to the Director's Box and us fans on the park got a close-up look at the cup in claret & amber ribbons.

The bus tour showing off the cup the next day wasn't half-bad either. No one, including all my non-Motherwell supporting pals, could not say it was the best and most enthralling game they'd seen.