• Craig Brown (None) + Young Assistant
    • Davie Hay (Livingston) + Young Assistant
    • Stephen Craigan (Motherwell) - Player/Manager
    • Jim Jeffries (Kilmarnock)
    • Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

He wouldn't have millions to spend at Fir Park so we don't need to worry about that.

What he has done, is prove that he can get the very best out of a team and is not afraid to stand up to the big guns. He done good things at Wycombe and an astonishing, absolutely astonishing job with an Irish team that was previously on the brink of International wilderness.

If Sanchez is genuinely interested working with Motherwell within the constraints of our financial limitations then it's a one horse race for me!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt with NI he was doing a good job but at Fulham he appeared to get found out.

What was he like with Wycombe, Roy Essandoh inspired cup runs aside?

Certainly bit more experienced and that appeals but if he is just a long ball merchant we'll no end up in the top 6, with more or less same squad we tried it with Malpas and we were pish. Even McGhee went direct style last season and we were honking to watch and it didn't get results.

Lets keep to a manager that will encourage football in style of McGhee's first season.

If you want to play like that again then we need new Porter's, McCormack's, and Hughes's's

Just because he played that way at Fulham (in a bid to keep them in the EPL over the course of a few games) doesn't mean he can't play other styles.

Having said that, with the names mentioned, I'd still be more interested in Gary Mac or Luc. What this does show, however, is that there are always people queuing up for manager jobs; even in the SPL.

If you want to play like that again then we need new Porter's, McCormack's, and Hughes's's

Certainly wouldn't hurt. But even before we signed Hughes and in games without him we have stuck to the basic footballing principles and did well. We are def weaker without McCormack but we have players in O'Brien and maybe Murphy that suit playing it on the deck better. Clarkson also faired better when we play on the deck also.

Right now we to much of a shell of a squad to be confident of success with any style but I know the one I'd prefer we went with and strived for.

I'd hope not is all I can say as we weren't all that effective playing like that.

If we are to get the best out of Sutton I'd rather we played to his strengths which I believe is mostly just a goalscorer, getting the ball out wide, balls into the box from dangerous positions rather than just hoofed in, getting to byline etc.

I wouldn't write Sanchez off, but I think the appeal of a relative glamour name is distorting. He might very well be an excellent manager for us, but if his style is just direct I'd rather we went a different route. I'll still cheer if we Wimbledon/Stoke City style of play into uefa cup contention or cup runs but all the good Motherwell teams I remember watching largely were good to watch also.

He surely didn't guide NI to wins over Spain just by a lump it and chase it approach, so I assume there more to him than that but definately concerned by his reputation as such a long ball type.

True especially when folk have been stating Mac has a poor record; Sanchez doesnt have a great record either.

At least he did enough and showed enough to be employed at that level. Macca never did, his CV is so bad he's now decided the Motherwell job suits him after all.

Yesterday's article in the record had Eric Black advising Motherwell not to snub Macca 'again' when it was Macca that snubbed us last time. He also referred to Motherwell as "Macca's team" which is utter bilge as anyone who knows him will tell you that Gary McAllisters team is, and always has been, Rangers.

If neither of the two of them have a great record then it obviously comes down to experience in a managerial situation and Sanchez wins that one by a landslide.

True Sanchez did sign Chris Baird for Fulham, he also signed David Healy, Paul Konchesky, Diomansy Kamara, Hamed Bouazza, Danny Murphy, Dejan Stankovic, Kasey Keller, Aaron Hughes, and Steven Davis.

I believe Sanchez is the one from the left wing, he's precisely what is needed.

Yesterday's article in the record had Eric Black advising Motherwell not to snub Macca 'again' when it was Macca that snubbed us last time. He also referred to Motherwell as "Macca's team" which is utter bilge as anyone who knows him will tell you that Gary McAllisters team is, and always has been, Rangers.
Whether you want Macca or not, it's pretty obvious that when he says Motherwell are his team, he means that we are the club that started his career in the game, and as a result, a club that he has some affection for. What team he supported as a boy is irrelevant to that quote.

It would be a lot easier to attract players if Sanchez and McAllister were the manager. We might not get the chance to get Sanchez again, he could quite easily end up in Premeirship again but he could be like McGhee by always keeping one eye on moing on ?

Why are fans hell bent on nijholt being manager ? reading some of the posts you would think they would rather have him than Alex Ferguson.

Don't fancy Sanchez at all. He's a big name, but his teams are bloody awful to watch, and for me it would be a step back the way. Our current squad has fared much better when trying to actually play football. Sod this blood and thunder nonsense. He wouldn't be someone to take the club forwards that's for sure.

It would be a lot easier to attract players if Sanchez and McAllister were the manager.

We don't have any/much money to be attracting players especially of the calibre Sanchez and McAllister could probably attract. These 2 guys would be good options if we had dosh, that's a given.

Why are fans hell bent on nijholt being manager ? reading some of the posts you would think they would rather have him than Alex Ferguson.

Because Nijholt's track record with youth is impressive and given that we will probably be relying a lot on youth for the the forseeable future he would seem to be the more sensible option.

Whether you want Macca or not, it's pretty obvious that when he says Motherwell are his team, he means that we are the club that started his career in the game, and as a result, a club that he has some affection for. What team he supported as a boy is irrelevant to that quote.

I would refute that I believe this is just public relations. Not longer after he joined leicester he was asked what was the first score he looked for after coming off the pitch. His answer was along the lines of "Rangers, even when I was at Motherwell that was the score I always looked out for" it's not verbatim but it's fairly close. My attitude towards him changed from that day on.

First post so here goes. Don't think Sanchez is the answer, think its looking backwards not forwards. Luc did come over very well in the interview with the sunday herald i think it was. Seemed to know in a general sense what it would be like to take over as motherwell manager. Using young players with a sprinkling of exprience And no having alot of money to spend.

It would be a lot easier to attract players if Sanchez and McAllister were the manager. We might not get the chance to get Sanchez again, he could quite easily end up in Premeirship again but he could be like McGhee by always keeping one eye on moing on ?

That question has been answered loads of times. Why not Nijholt thats what I say. Why not take Nijholt over McCallister or any other name mentioned.

With the exception of Neil Lennon and maybe another one or two i suspect whoever the manager is we will forget all the disagreement and be united in giving 100% backing to the manager because it will be the only way forward!!!

Because Nijholt's track record with youth is impressive and given that we will probably be relying a lot on youth for the the forseeable future he would seem to be the more sensible option.
What is his track record in this repsect? I haven't read anything to back that up. I'm not saying it's wrong - I'm just curious as to what he has achieved on that front.