Brian Mclaughlin

SuperSteelman

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP if it's true. He was one of my favourite players. Came back from a broken leg, as I recall, and was a terrific footballer. Remember one goal against Accies where ran the length of the pitch and beat about 7 players before scoring. Took cracking penalties too.

Had a bit of a temper on him as well :P

RIP Brian.

The one thing I always remembered about Brian, is Jock Stein saying he was better than Dalglish at a similar age. Stein also said the injury that halted Brian's career was the worst he'd ever seen.

I'm pretty sure he was out for over a year and, not long after he came back, Celtic sold him to Ayr United and we took him from them about a year or so later. He was terrific for us especially when we won the First Division in 1982, a team that also included Alfie Conn, John Gahagan, Ian Clinging, Brian McClair, Stevie McClelland, Willie Irvine, Tommy O'Hara, and a young Gary McAllister knocking on the first team door.

Sadly missed.

Another ex-Well man is lost too soon. I just caught the end of his well career, in fact my first ever Well goal was scored by Brian McLaughlin against Dunfermline in May 1982, so I have a lot to remember him by.

RIP.

Sad news.

Like others have mentioned he was one of the players I can first really remember when going to see MFC as a laddie.

Sheesh this almost seems like a fortnighly occurrance these days remembering the life of a Dosser who has passed away. :D

Very saddened to read the news, Brian was one of my first favourite Well players. My old dear's still got the photo up of me him and Shuggie Sproat when I was a mascot in the Division One winning season.

A real class act as a player, scorer of some wonderful goals.

RIP

One of my first favourite players, remember him and Willie Irvine scoring a barrowload between them in 81/82. Then Jock Wallace sold him to Accies, in one of his many fan-endearing decisions...

Exactly the post I would have made. Davie Hay/Jock Wallace can be debated another day.

Thoughts are with Mr McLaughlins family.