Eternal Hope

Special aka

We should have beaten the Filth at the Bowl and I was still a tad low on Wednesday. However, I was driving along Great Western Road in Aberdeen when I saw a young lad, no more than 5 or 6 years old pushing his scooter along the pavement and fully clad in a complete 'Well strip , (shirt, shorts and socks the lot). He looked proud as punch, his chest stuck out as he said to the world .... I'm a Motherwell fan and proud of it.

It brought a big smile to my face, as I thought good on you wee man. You probably aint seen us win a thing and probably may not ...... yet your hope is eternal. :D

And I say to the plethora of negative posters of Tuesday night .... if you want to support a team you expect to win trophies every year then best go support someone else. If you want to support a team who'll guarantee you European football every season then best go support someone else. If you want to support a team who'll guarantee you a Top-6 finish every season then best go support someone else.

Motherwell have punched well above their weight for decades, and many of you lot have been spoiled beyond belief, and deserve. Just look at Dundee, Partick and Dunfermline ..... that could so easily be us, but it's not ........... so rejoice in supporting a team who are fighting for 3rd spot in the SPL in a season where many pundits had us relegated, which we started with a handfull of players and a new manager - and who left 1/2 way thru.

We are not Barcelona, we are not AC Milan, and never will be. We are Motherwell FC, from a small town less than 20miles from 2 of the biggest football clubs in the world. It's a Rollercoaster Ride, and during the last 20yrs of our 125yr history we've been relatively spoiled, so get on, grip tightly and stop complaining.

Hope is eternal. :thumbup:

That is an excellent post mate. :cheers:

Were you at the game on Tuesday night ? If you were then fair enough. If you werent you're just another on the list who sit on here taking a pop at folk who shell out pretty serious money to go follow their team.

To be fair a lot of the guys on this site dont live in or near Motherwell so they cant get to games, and for some [myself included] a good moan is part of the motherwell package, we still go on supporting the team

through thick and thin . Good post by the way big man .

And I say to the plethora of negative posters of Tuesday night .... if you want to support a team you expect to win trophies every year then best go support someone else. If you want to support a team who'll guarantee you European football every season then best go support someone else. If you want to support a team who'll guarantee you a Top-6 finish every season then best go support someone else.

Motherwell have punched well above their weight for decades, and many of you lot have been spoiled beyond belief, and deserve. Just look at Dundee, Partick and Dunfermline ..... that could so easily be us, but it's not ........... so rejoice in supporting a team who are fighting for 3rd spot in the SPL in a season where many pundits had us relegated, which we started with a handfull of players and a new manager - and who left 1/2 way thru.

We are not Barcelona, we are not AC Milan, and never will be. We are Motherwell FC, from a small town less than 20miles from 2 of the biggest football clubs in the world. It's a Rollercoaster Ride, and during the last 20yrs of our 125yr history we've been relatively spoiled, so get on, grip tightly and stop complaining.

Hope is eternal. :cheers:

Lot of doom and gloom around & while the manner of this defeat is annoying its Celtic ffs doesn't matter how badly they are playing chances are we are going 2 get beat at Parkhead. Like it or not Motherwell is one of the diddy teams and their whole purpose is to bring on young players for bigger teams to sign. Totally sucks but it's the nature of the beast and we are all still proud to support them anyway. We have punched above our weight in a season where we were just hoping to at least finish 11th. So let's enjoy the last few games and see where we end up even if we finish 6th its a damn sight better than being down the bottom fighting relegation.

This was said on the 14th in the Celtic thread sounds kinda similar dont ya think? :D

We should have beaten the Filth at the Bowl and I was still a tad low on Wednesday. However, I was driving along Great Western Road in Aberdeen when I saw a young lad, no more than 5 or 6 years old pushing his scooter along the pavement and fully clad in a complete 'Well strip , (shirt, shorts and socks the lot). He looked proud as punch, his chest stuck out as he said to the world .... I'm a Motherwell fan and proud of it.

It brought a big smile to my face, as I thought good on you wee man. You probably aint seen us win a thing and probably may not ...... yet your hope is eternal. :cheers:

Hope is eternal. :D

When I started coming regularly to Motherwell games in the mid eighties I went home happy if we scored a goal! The idea of qualifying for Europe or even finishing in the top half of the table was pie in the sky and it seemed most seasons were a relegation battle.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the last 10 years, when taken as a whole, has probably been the clubs most successful period since the 1950's/early 60's.

So I think older fans will probably have a bit more perspective than the younger fans. In a way you can't really blame them if having only seen Motherwell as a reasonably successful club they have higher expectations because they never really known a sustained bad period. Hopefully they'll never have to!

Pie I am sure that the old brigade took exception to the manner in which you chose to support the team when you were a young man as it was very different to the way they used to show their approval/disapproval.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the younger boys these days have been lucky and perhaps spoilt by the recent experiences we have enjoyed.

It's worth bearing in mind that the channels of communication are far more open now than they were when you were a young man following the game. Where you used to have a whinge about the game on the way out the ground, it was forgotten the next day as you were only talking to the people around you who were actually there, no phones, no computers.

The things that are posted on shite sites like this have an air of semi-permanance (and self importance)and not only that, they invite debate from people you would never previously have had any contact with (guys that would never dream of being so vocal in "real life").

Fans are not any better or worse that when you enjoyed your hayday, it's just easier to hear from those who back in the day would not have been able to make their daft voices heard.

I suppose what I am saying is that it's just as sanctimonious and pointless to decry these internet nobodies as it is to be one of the c***s in the first place. Much the same as adding "RIP" online thread about a bunch of folk you otherwise have no connection to.

Pretty much that the internet just invites people to pontificate on others in anonymous and dickheaded manner. Much as I am now.

This is a serious position I find my self in :) ...

I think this post sums up perfectly the shallow connections we make now as a matter of routine.

I agree with Pie's sentiments, and I agree with Eddie.

I need to go and study!!

When I started coming regularly to Motherwell games in the mid eighties I went home happy if we scored a goal! The idea of qualifying for Europe or even finishing in the top half of the table was pie in the sky and it seemed most seasons were a relegation battle.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the last 10 years, when taken as a whole, has probably been the clubs most successful period since the 1950's/early 60's.

So I think older fans will probably have a bit more perspective than the younger fans. In a way you can't really blame them if having only seen Motherwell as a reasonably successful club they have higher expectations because they never really known a sustained bad period. Hopefully they'll never have to!

During the period you started going Aberdeen were among the cream of Europe , Chelsea and Man City were mid table/relegation and Motherwell being able to take loan players from the richest league in Europe at a price Aberdeen said they couldnt afford was the stuff of fantasy. Football changes

I agree this is probably as successful a period as we've ever had and a fair whack of our support (mainly on this site) expect far too much but i dont accept we should be happy to avoid relegation because of where we were when John Chapman was chairman or that i've more right to comment than folk spending their hard earned week in week out just because i watched us in the first division

Were you at the game on Tuesday night ? ...........

No I wasn't at the game mate. I live 200 miles away, not that I'd give the Tims any of my hard earned anyway.

As for having a pop at anyone who was at the game ? That certainly was not my motivation or aim. The folks that go week-in week-out have my total respect. Ageism was also not on my agenda. (Please note that much of the vitriol was delivered during and shortly after the match, therefore I'd assume it wasn't from folks who'd been to the game).

I waited a couple of days in order that my post was not a reactionary one. I was simply using the young 'Well strip clad lad in Aberdeen as a metaphor for our Eternal Hope attitude, despite many a disappointment, to following the 'Well.

Great post by Eddie, probably his best ever imho, portraying a very balanced counter to my original words.

No I wasn't at the game mate. I live 200 miles away, not that I'd give the Tims any of my hard earned anyway.

As for having a pop at anyone who was at the game ? That certainly was not my motivation or aim. The folks that go week-in week-out have my total respect. Ageism was also not on my agenda. (Please note that much of the vitriol was delivered during and shortly after the match, therefore I'd assume it wasn't from folks who'd been to the game).

I waited a couple of days in order that my post was not a reactionary one. I was simply using the young 'Well strip clad lad in Aberdeen as a metaphor for our Eternal Hope attitude, despite many a disappointment, to following the 'Well.

Great post by Eddie, probably his best ever imho, portraying a very balanced counter to my original words.

Agreed, two good posts.