Eternal Hope

Special aka

We should have beaten the Filth at the Bowl and I was still a tad low on Wednesday. However, I was driving along Great Western Road in Aberdeen when I saw a young lad, no more than 5 or 6 years old pushing his scooter along the pavement and fully clad in a complete 'Well strip , (shirt, shorts and socks the lot). He looked proud as punch, his chest stuck out as he said to the world .... I'm a Motherwell fan and proud of it.

It brought a big smile to my face, as I thought good on you wee man. You probably aint seen us win a thing and probably may not ...... yet your hope is eternal. :lol:

And I say to the plethora of negative posters of Tuesday night .... if you want to support a team you expect to win trophies every year then best go support someone else. If you want to support a team who'll guarantee you European football every season then best go support someone else. If you want to support a team who'll guarantee you a Top-6 finish every season then best go support someone else.

Motherwell have punched well above their weight for decades, and many of you lot have been spoiled beyond belief, and deserve. Just look at Dundee, Partick and Dunfermline ..... that could so easily be us, but it's not ........... so rejoice in supporting a team who are fighting for 3rd spot in the SPL in a season where many pundits had us relegated, which we started with a handfull of players and a new manager - and who left 1/2 way thru.

We are not Barcelona, we are not AC Milan, and never will be. We are Motherwell FC, from a small town less than 20miles from 2 of the biggest football clubs in the world. It's a Rollercoaster Ride, and during the last 20yrs of our 125yr history we've been relatively spoiled, so get on, grip tightly and stop complaining.

Hope is eternal. :thumbup:

We should have beaten the Filth at the Bowl and I was still a tad low on Wednesday. However, I was driving along Great Western Road in Aberdeen when I saw a young lad, no more than 5 or 6 years old pushing his scooter along the pavement and fully clad in a complete 'Well strip , (shirt, shorts and socks the lot). He looked proud as punch, his chest stuck out as he said to the world .... I'm a Motherwell fan and proud of it.

It brought a big smile to my face, as I thought good on you wee man. You probably aint seen us win a thing and probably may not ...... yet your hope is eternal. :lol:

And I say to the plethora of negative posters of Tuesday night .... if you want to support a team you expect to win trophies every year then best go support someone else. If you want to support a team who'll guarantee you European football every season then best go support someone else. If you want to support a team who'll guarantee you a Top-6 finish every season then best go support someone else.

Motherwell have punched well above their weight for decades, and many of you lot have been spoiled beyond belief, and deserve. Just look at Dundee, Partick and Dunfermline ..... that could so easily be us, but it's not ........... so rejoice in supporting a team who are fighting for 3rd spot in the SPL in a season where many pundits had us relegated, which we started with a handfull of players and a new manager - and who left 1/2 way thru.

We are not Barcelona, we are not AC Milan, and never will be. We are Motherwell FC, from a small town less than 20miles from 2 of the biggest football clubs in the world. It's a Rollercoaster Ride, and during the last 20yrs of our 125yr history we've been reletively spoiled, so get on, grip tightly and stop complaining.

Hope is eternal. :thumbup:

Well said Big Man.Couldn't have put it any better.

C'mon the 'Well :D

I know this being Dundee United's best season since well, the SPL was formed (never once ended third) but the rankings are a bit fucked up having them as a second tier club below Greenock Morton and Queen's Park (who have not won anything of note since the 1800's) is a little wrong.

The only reason we can say we're punching above our weight and have for years is because our turnover, fan base, possible fan base etc. is quite shit compared to most other clubs in the SPL and many of those below us (and in lower leagues).

As I see it there is...

Old Firm

Aberdeen

Hearts

Hibs

Dundee United

Kilmarnock

Dundee

all bigger than us under the recognised catagories of how big is a football club. Then you have Falkirk, Dunfermline, Partick Thistle etc. who are our level by the same criteria.

Motherwell fan? In Aberdeen? I would have thought, support your LOCAL team ya wee tyke 'cause you are what is wrong with football today. I would then have driven my car onto the kerb, clipped his scooter, sending him hurtling to the deck and watched him greet in my rear view mirror as I drove off :lol:

"Motherwell have punched well above their weight for decades, and many of you lot have been spoiled beyond belief, and deserve."

Am I the only one that finds some of this condescending?

Dundee Utd were irrelevant until about 1960, when Jerry Kerr bought in a whole load of Scandinavians and even then they never did much in the top league. I don't have the figures to hand but i'd be surprised if from 1909(when they were formed) until 1959(first fifty years) if they played 10 seasons in the top flight. It's only a historical ranking, you can't just dismiss the early years.

EDIT: good post from OP.

The only reason we can say we're punching above our weight and have for years is because our turnover, fan base, possible fan base etc. is quite shit compared to most other clubs in the SPL and many of those below us (and in lower leagues).

Exactly.

As for you Finlay, you feel however you want to feel. As for the wee lad in Aberdeen, I doubt he plucked supporting Motherwell out of thin air do you ? But then you really do appear to be missing the point or are you perhaps dangling a hook ? :lol:

Dundee Utd were irrelevant until about 1960, when Jerry Kerr bought in a whole load of Scandinavians and even then they never did much in the top league. I don't have the figures to hand but i'd be surprised if from 1909(when they were formed) until 1959(first fifty years) if they played 10 seasons in the top flight. It's only a historical ranking, you can't just dismiss the early years.

EDIT: good post from OP.

No you can't but I bet if you compare United from 1959 to 2010 they would have spent more time, won more senior domestic trophies (Top League, League Cup, Scottish Cup & FA Cup) than Queen's Park, who's last was in 1893. Not to mention Dundee United have been in the SPL since it's formation, although been average at best (never ending in the top 4) you can say for certain they're a bigger club than Queen's Park - and are not out of place in the SPL.

Exactly.

As for you Finlay, you feel however you want to feel. As for the wee lad in Aberdeen, I doubt he plucked supporting Motherwell out of thin air do you ? But then you really do appear to be missing the point or are you perhaps dangling a hook ? :thumbup:

Yes, I think I will. Thanks for the permission :lol: Jeez I wonder. What with me saying I'd knock him down and everything it isn't really too clear if I was being serious :D

A fab thread..Im in total agreement. At the end of the day we all love the mfc and we've really had some fab times in recent years. As i've said on another thread there's people on this forum who dont support Motherwell and are bullshitters. CMON THE WELL!!!! :rolleyes:

............. What with me saying I'd knock him down and everything it isn't really too clear if I was being serious :O

No No No lad :lol: , it was the ".......... supporting your LOCAL team ... you are what is wrong........ " bit I found to be off the mark. He may have been on holiday, he may have been the product of Well fans who have relocated to the north-east, we know not and I don't frankly care. I was using the lad as a metaphor for Eternal Hope, but you knew that didn't you :rolleyes:

We are not Barcelona, we are not AC Milan, and never will be. We are Motherwell FC, from a small town less than 20miles from 2 of the biggest football clubs in the world. It's a Rollercoaster Ride, and during the last 20yrs of our 125yr history we've been reletively spoiled, so get on, grip tightly and stop complaining.

The point of the whole thread.

'Well said. :rolleyes:

(maybe the sat nav on the wean's scooter was faulty.......)

.... if you want to support a team you expect to win trophies every year then best go support someone else. If you want to support a team who'll guarantee you European football every season then best go support someone else. If you want to support a team who'll guarantee you a Top-6 finish every season then best go support someone else.

We are not Barcelona, we are not AC Milan, and never will be. We are Motherwell FC, from a small town less than 20miles from 2 of the biggest football clubs in the world. It's a Rollercoaster Ride, and during the last 20yrs of our 125yr history we've been relatively spoiled, so get on, grip tightly and stop complaining.

Hope is eternal. :rolleyes:

This sums up perfectly what supporting Motherwell is all about. Well said Pie!!

No you can't but I bet if you compare United from 1959 to 2010 they would have spent more time, won more senior domestic trophies (Top League, League Cup, Scottish Cup & FA Cup) than Queen's Park, who's last was in 1893. Not to mention Dundee United have been in the SPL since it's formation, although been average at best (never ending in the top 4) you can say for certain they're a bigger club than Queen's Park - and are not out of place in the SPL.

Thread hijack alert. Dearie me. It's a historical ranking. The SPL is just as relevant as the first 10 seasons of league football. I'll be really pedantic and point out Queen's last trophy wasn't in 1893. Can't be arsed to look it up but thy've won a least 2 lower league flags since then, which garnered points in that link's ranking system. Of course Dundee Utd are a bigger club than Queen's Park, but yet again you've spectularly missed the point.

Were you at the game on Tuesday night ? If you were then fair enough. If you werent you're just another on the list who sit on here taking a pop at folk who shell out pretty serious money to go follow their team

I wasnt there on Tuesday as i was working and havent even made the effort to see the highlights. But if someone spent the best part of £50 on just getting there and getting in and thinks we shouldve done better then i'll hear them out , not tell them from the comfort of the big chair in front of the fire that they arent real Motherwell fans , and they've to fuck off and follow the Old Firm...

If you do you must be one of those the big man's talking about. :cheers:

After the amount of times I've seen us getting drubbed? Chance would be a fine thing :D

Were you at the game on Tuesday night ? If you were then fair enough. If you werent you're just another on the list who sit on here taking a pop at folk who shell out pretty serious money to go follow their team

I wasnt there on Tuesday as i was working and havent even made the effort to see the highlights. But if someone spent the best part of £50 on just getting there and getting in and thinks we shouldve done better then i'll hear them out , not tell them from the comfort of the big chair in front of the fire that they arent real Motherwell fans , and they've to fuck off and follow the Old Firm...

Whilst I agree that a some of the comments on here after the game was a bit OTT (fans let the team down thread springs to mind), I was at the game and was a bit gutted by the result. I personally thought the team let the small amount of fans who did go down. That is mainly because I believe we are a really good side on our day and that we CAN go to Glasgow and pick points up. That seemed to be a belief the players didn't have themselves when we actually went in front. However, that is another debate.

IMO ML1 makes valid points. I am always way more diappointed by a Motherwell defeat if I have witnessed it in person rather than having updates via the internet or watching it on TV. People who are at the games specifically, react to defeats in different ways. Some are pessimistic, some are optimistic. Some come on here and post straight after the game, whilst others wait till later on that day, or even the next day. Some posts are positive and some are negative. That will never change. However, come the next game we are all pretty much to a person 100% behind the players. No one needs reminded of how small a club we are or what we are unlikely to achieve. No one doubts that even if we don't win another game then this season was still a big success. Right now though it has the potential to be very successful for us.

People who were on here moaning after the game are probably the LEAST likely to 'go and support someone else' due to the fact they could have sat at home and watched it on TV but elected to pay £25 to see it in the ground.

Fair amount of effort and committment and like ML1 says if they have an opinion (positive or negative) fair enough......either way I'd like to hear it. I'd rather have passion of some description than total apathy.