The Stadium

something else

I really don't like the idea of moving to a stadium along the lines of St Mirren Park. I can't see why Motherwell can't aim for a unique 10,000 seater stadium along the lines of the ones in mainland europe. Something like the Finnair Stadium in Helsinki would be my idea of a new ground. A big main stand,no big gaps at the corners and can fit 10,770 folk. I know it's unlikely but whenever it gets built as long as it's not like the other new stadiums in the SPL I'll be happy.

finnair-stadium.jpg

Now your talking - dreamland I know but that is the mutts nuts.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

South Stand - Poorly built, huge stand blocking sunlight onto pitch creating big problems, went for cheap option by designing in house (using Bill Dickie)

Probably the most pertinent statement made so far. Many of us 'auldeez' will remember when Fir Park had one of the best pitches in the country ............... before BD was allowed to design his first ever stadium stand. :doh::wallbash:

A 3 sided 2-tier'd option is my preference .... see below, while on the 4th side something akin to the pavilion style Norrporten Arena in Sweden with a media suite, executive boxes, the club offices and other income stream facilities either side. A stadium which would attract Under 21 games, Junior cup-ties for example.

Malfs3dversionofmydesign.jpg

all the other facilities in that pic suggest it is used for more than just the 90 mins on a saturday, which has got to be the way forward.its just unfortunate we couldn't have had something tied in with the sports centre being built up the 'craig

Discussed before, many a change in policies and behavior of society supercedes. An act of local government changing land use would hold no fear for the developing company... a lot more commonplace than you may think and I'd suspect there are many at North Lanarkshire Council would be easily swayed :thumbup:

AYE kos most of the Elected members are crooks. lol

I know it's dreamland but until plans are announced I'd like to think something like this could be round the corner. The other outlook is pretty depressing when you see New Douglas Park and the other stadiums. I know hee-haw about how these things work but if there can be two great buildings built in Ravenscraig surely there's a strong possibility one more could be built, with a bit of money coming from outside sources, in a new community stadium that wouldn't look out of place next to the college and sports centre.

I dont know, the South and Cooper stand are class. I'd demolish the East and rebuild then target the main only if the decision was to stay at FP. However i like the look of Sør Arena. Pure class. Lovely little stadium.

You may have hit on something there. :thumbup:

Demolish the East Stand and build a new 4,000 seater, 2-tiers if land bordering Knowetop Primary is an issue, (with facilities for pre/post match use), and reduce the reliance on the Main Stand. By that I mean, leave the players/corporate facilities but other than to the Director's Box and media suites no one else gets in.

That would leave the old girl with an 11,500(ish) capacity, with a longer term desire to replace the main stand with a far smaller structure based on the above criteria and with additional facilities for increased revenue streams.

In addition consideration should be given to replacing parts, if not all, of the South Stand roof with a product which would allow natural light to strike that end of the pitch.

Where's our online Stadium designers ?????

You may have hit on something there. :lol:

I don't think he has... How often does he use the South Stand? Facilities are lacking (I know it's only for those who don't follow our club, I've spoken to some who don't and it enters conversation) and not aesthetically pleasing going by paintwork condition and present building movement. I see that most Saturday mornings as the bin lid goes to the morning coaching, unsure if Cooper Stand is similar as I only enter for the Cooper Lounge and Cooper boxes on occassion.

It's the style and design that adds to the hefty maintenance bill, so fail to see how they are 'class'.

A new East Stand? 2 tiers? :thumbup: ? I'd wager the logistics of that would mean the jump to the other side of the West Coast Main Line would be taken that bit sooner...

I really don't like the idea of moving to a stadium along the lines of St Mirren Park. I can't see why Motherwell can't aim for a unique 10,000 seater stadium along the lines of the ones in mainland europe. Something like the Finnair Stadium in Helsinki would be my idea of a new ground. A big main stand,no big gaps at the corners and can fit 10,770 folk. I know it's unlikely but whenever it gets built as long as it's not like the other new stadiums in the SPL I'll be happy.

finnair-stadium.jpg

Spot on. A new stadium MUST NOT be a McDiarmid/St Mirren/New Broomfield legoland pop up toy town clone! We need something unique, not only in design but atmosphere and revenue streams.

Fully enclosed for a start and you start to move away from the flatpack four stand identikit. A bigger main stand like the one above alos sets it off and to keep the (empty) seats down plenty of executive boxes/restaurants/bars - a proper 'sports bar' /shops in the 'corners'.

We MUST move soon. If we don't we are going to dwindle away to a once proud club playing in a rotting ground in front of 2500 people each week. If we twin a stadium move with cheap pricing and get everyone back + new punters on board we can save the club before it is too late.

This is pre-emptive of course but there was only 3500 at the LAST weekend game in a TOP 6 game when we are going for EUROPE.

:nod:

I doubt the fans would admit that though.

St Mirren's old home once held almost 50,000. Now while I'm not suggestiong that those halcyon days of record attendances will return anytime soon, what happens when/if football in this country does experience a bit of a recovery, (gate prices are set at decent levels), the flat cap is once more fashionable and punters decide they wish to return to the beautiful game ?

New Love St may prove to be too small :lol:

but St Middens, like all these "toytown" "legoland" "soulless boxes" "pop up" "shoe box" etc stadiums are easily extended if need be, want 2000 new seats? fill in corners? couple thousand more? add a top deck, all done simply and cost effectively. What is this pathological hatred of traditional 4 stand stadiums? and apparent need for expensive works of art instead?

As I have said earlier, corner seating sections are the least used in new grounds + cost 33% more than straight sections. Extra tiers cost £1m+ more than a single tier stand. Why would many people on here would scoff at the 4 stand type stadium which would cost maybe £8m - £10m in favour of a bowl or 2 tier design that would cost £12m - £15m min? Crazy, personally id rather sit in a so called "Soulless Legoland Toytown ground" watching a decent team than sitting in some wonder ground with a team fit for the 2nd division cause the stadium cost millions more just to keep some people happy

What is this pathological hatred of traditional 4 stand stadiums?

Sorry mate but your opinion got a bit fucked by the example that you posted, if that is your preferred design for Motherwell Football Club then that is just shite.

You seem to chuck around numbers like you know what you are taking about? Do you? cause it doesn't sound like it.