Craggs Testimonial Game

fatcalf

Fair enough he has a connection to Partick but it would surely have made more sense to get a game against a higher profile team where there would actually be some interest in it.Aberdeen have Villareal for Mackie's test and we have Partick. :doh:

Also seems like a very last minute thing when it's being announced less than 3 weeks before the game.

Why the :doh: ? Do you know for a fact that Craigan didn't want Partick as an option? This isn't about playing some glamour game (we play a teams much bigger than Villarreal 6-8 times a season), it's about showing our appreciation to a long serving player, and if he chose Partick Thistle (his only other professional club) then Partick Thistle was the only obvious choice.

If he asked for them then fair enough but the late announcement would suggest that we looked at other teams and they were unavailable so we got stuck with Partick.If it was a big name euro or epl team then there would at least have been a decent crowd, can't see more that 4000/5000 going to this.

Haggis a don't think there's any doubt that well fans will turn up in numbers, its more about hopin to get a few non well fans along or at least a team who'll bring a big crowd with them. If he choose thistle though then that's fine by me, I'll be there to show my support for a great servant to MFC.

Haggis a don't think there's any doubt that well fans will turn up in numbers, its more about hopin to get a few non well fans along or at least a team who'll bring a big crowd with them. If he choose thistle though then that's fine by me, I'll be there to show my support for a great servant to MFC.

fair point

As has been said already Craigan MUST surely have had a say in who the opponents were for his testimonial. I mean what reason would the club have in not giving a guy who has served the club for fifteen seasons ,played over 350 times and been a great ambassador on and off the park a testimonial against Leeds on a Saturday afternoon in July. :whistling: And I would just like to add that I will be at Crags testimonial, but wont be at the Leeds friendly or any other friendlies ,because no matter the opponents friendlies are what they are and always have been ,crap.

I have never been a great fan of Stephen Craigan but I really do think he deserves a far better testimonial than Partick Thistle on a Wednesday night in July. No harm to Partick Thistle but hardly box office draw material plus a a lot of people will be on holiday etc.

As for all these friendlies IMO all clubs should be throwing their gates open for these on a foc basis or as a bare minimum setting the price at say £2. But I forgot its like everthing to do with footlball nowadays (not just Motherwell) - fleece the usual loyal fans as quick and as often as you like/ can. :angry:

Surely it doesn't matter who the opposition is? The point is more to go along and pay tribute to the man.

Agreed Andy, and hopefully Thistle will bring a decent support too.

As has been said already Craigan MUST surely have had a say in who the opponents were for his testimonial. I mean what reason would the club have in not giving a guy who has served the club for fifteen seasons ,played over 350 times and been a great ambassador on and off the park a testimonial against Leeds on a Saturday afternoon in July. :whistling: And I would just like to add that I will be at Crags testimonial, but wont be at the Leeds friendly or any other friendlies ,because no matter the opponents friendlies are what they are and always have been ,crap.

The club have nothing to do with selecting the opposition, indeed I'm sure they cannot have anything to do with his testimonial for tax reasons...

My money's on him playing half the game for us & half for Thistle. Would expect a very poor turn out especially if the weather's shite. Can't see any attraction in this for Thistle fans on a Wednesday night.

Reading their forum, he seems to have been well liked, and a star for them during his time there.

Thistle Fan 1

i loved big stevie at firhill i will go along and show my support and show that we jags never forget

Thistle Fan 2

I hope enough of us can make it along. Of all the players that have left us in recent years I think we missed Stephen the most. He should never have gone into that first SPL season on a single year contract. All water under the bridge but he could and should have been a Jags legend.

Thistle Fan 3

Being as far away as I am will not stop me making a contribution to one of the finest Jags of the new century.

Paypal works well where I am, and I'll certainly be gladly contributing towards a fine footballer, a fine professional, an exemplary person, and a superb Jags man.

By now, I've even forgiven him his penalty miss at the tattiedome...........................

This is a one of those rare testimonials that is thoroughly merited.

Just look at which club he has chosen to support him!!

Thistle Fan 4

Ill be there to thank Stevie for his contribution to the best Jags defence ive seen in my life. Was broken hearted the day he left.

Full Thread

I guess with any testimonial it depends a little on the motivations of the committee as to whether they are looking to maximise a return for the player concerned or whether they are more orientated to marking his contribution with the people whom have been most closely linked to him, rather looking just at the money.

I suppose only the Testimonial committee will know why Partick were settled upon for the opposition whether it was the preference of Craggs or whether a more "attractive" opponent couldn't be secured. Perhaps maybe a bit of both. With the increasing difference in the starting times of Scottish and English leagues, early European qualifiers and the number of overseas tours undertaken by English sides, availability might not be what it once was. Add to that the expenses that larger teams might insist upon and the lack of a guarantee of a turn-out, sometimes the big name might not neccessarily equate to a larger return for the player.

Either way its pleasing to have the opportunity to mark Craigan's contribution over the two spells at FIr Park. A more than half-decent defender certainly but he has squeezed out more in his career than perhaps players much more talented than him have managed, down to sheer hard work, persistance and committment.

He's fought back a few times throughout his career from being freed by MFC, dropped by NI and Motherwell at various spells but has continued to plug away and win his way back.

Arguably his time with us is coming close to its conclusion but he's been a wonderful servant over the years and it will be nice to recognise his contribution with us at the Partick game.

Mind you. What price an OG in the testimonial though.....:whistling::ph34r::D