• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From BBC: Average wage in UK 2008 = £20,801 gross

Weekly: £400 gross

Entry to FP: £18

Based on 37.5 week: 1 hour 40 mins work to gain entry

based on that, some bandits getting some of my wages :huh:

anyone got a list of all SPL season book prices for next year?

I understand peoples frustrations but what happens if boyle decides right drop the price to 150 quid a season ticket, and then only a few hundred extra take him up on the offer?

Scottish football clubs are not only out of touch with the fans, they're out of touch with each other. All the clubs are still in this for themselves (and quite rightly so) however, the bubble is about to burst big time.

6000 fans took part in that SPL survey and something like 98 percent said football in this country was overpriced. If clubs/SFA/SPL can't listen to the fans then whats the point?!?!?!

Tomorrow night imo is going to show people that low prices aren't going to guarantee big attendances at Fir Park.......and like I said if it doesn't happen tomorrow I'm not sure when it will.

I can't agree.

How can a game on a Wednesday night that is being shown on Sky be used as evidence that low prices don't guarantee decent attendances?

Such a policy would have to be implemented over the long term to have any effect.

A short-term hit has to be taken in order to gain long-term in my opinion.

Slashing prices every now & then, not doing anything to really advertise it then claiming the idea doesn't work when no one shows up isn't the answer.

I can't agree.

How can a game on a Wednesday night that is being shown on Sky be used as evidence that low prices don't guarantee decent attendances?

Such a policy would have to be implemented over the long term to have any effect.

A short-term hit has to be taken in order to gain long-term in my opinion.

Slashing prices every now & then, not doing anything to really advertise it then claiming the idea doesn't work when no one shows up isn't the answer.

Read my post two up from your own in respect of the first paragraph.

You think the club can afford to GAMBLE over the long term with really low ST prices and POTG prices? How long in your opinion is 'short term' as this may be the difference between us having a club to support and not having a club to support.

Read my post two up from your own in respect of the first paragraph.

I didn't see that there, so apologies.

You think the club can afford to GAMBLE over the long term with really low ST prices and POTG prices? How long in your opinion is 'short term' as this may be the difference between us having a club to support and not having a club to support.

I think if the club doesn't gamble, we'll slowly see the crowd shrink over the coming years anyway.

I don't think much should be placed on bringing down POTG prices, and more on giving some real value for money on the season book.

There really isn't much benefit to having a book at the moment, which is criminal to be honest.

I didn't see that there, so apologies.

I think if the club doesn't gamble, we'll slowly see the crowd shrink over the coming years anyway.

I don't think much should be placed on bringing down POTG prices, and more on giving some real value for money on the season book.

There really isn't much benefit to having a book at the moment, which is criminal to be honest.

Agreed, but I'd see that more as full use of vouchers in the book (ALL of them), discounts from the shop, reductions on additional home tickets purchased etc. and maybe regular events that only ST holders could attend (Q and As etc.)

Agreed, but I'd see that more as full use of vouchers in the book (ALL of them), discounts from the shop, reductions on additional home tickets purchased etc. and maybe regular events that only ST holders could attend (Q and As etc.)

Those things are all well & good, but the savings compared to buying a book compared to POTG isn't good enough to be honest.

Those things are all well & good, but the savings compared to buying a book compared to POTG isn't good enough to be honest.

Really?

If you PATG for every home match what would it have cost this season?

By my calculations 17 standard home fixtures at £22 (I believe this is the standard price for an adult in the POD Stand), 1 home fixture (Hibs) at £10 and 1 League Cup fixture (ICT) at £15.

Unless I am being forgetful and missing/adding matches, or accidentally omitting other discounts, then that comes to £399. I have been to every home game so technically I saved £66 more than a PATG customer who went to every game.

Now I'm not saying the standard of football is worth every penny. Nobody would. Plus, the ST becomes less of a viable purchase if you can't make every game. Miss a couple and it is pointless if you want to make a saving. However that is a 'gamble' taken by the person who buys it. If you know you can't make every game before the season starts then I can understand not getting one. Fixtures being changed here and there, sometimes with only a few weeks notice, doesn't help make that decision, but again that is a discussion for another time.

As for the 'bonuses' I listed, I would be quite happy with them.......especially given the stats above.

Really?

If you PATG for every home match what would it have cost this season?

By my calculations 17 standard home fixtures at £22 (I believe this is the standard price for an adult in the POD Stand), 1 home fixture (Hibs) at £10 and 1 League Cup fixture (ICT) at £15.

Unless I am being forgetful and missing/adding matches, or accidentally omitting other discounts, then that comes to £399. I have been to every home game so technically I saved £66 more than a PATG customer who went to every game.

Now I'm not saying the standard of football is worth every penny. Nobody would. Plus, the ST becomes less of a viable purchase if you can't make every game. Miss a couple and it is pointless if you want to make a saving. However that is a 'gamble' taken by the person who buys it. If you know you can't make every game before the season starts then I can understand not getting one. Fixtures being changed here and there, sometimes with only a few weeks notice, doesn't help make that decision, but again that is a discussion for another time.

As for the 'bonuses' I listed, I would be quite happy with them.......especially given the stats above.

reading some of the posts on here you would think patg punters are second class citizens at fir park yet we pay our way over the course of a season according to those sums

if we attract x new season ticket holders and are prepared to break even on this years income then at least its a start.

So its feasible we could reduce the season tickets by multiples of £20 for every new 250 season ticket holders from the 2009-10 season. That is if we don't increase revenue from season tickets.

So (I may get shot down here) we could get a £190 ticket if we get 1,000 new season ticket holders. I'm also being overly simplistic.

This is the 'Bradford Scheme' i'm always banging on about. They looked at their income from shite attendances paying through the roof in an empty stadium and got folk to 'sign up'. They only tried to get the same (perhaps a bit less even) ST income fro morew punters and adjusted the price accordingly.

Ended up with double the fans paying half the price = same income.

Not rocket Science!! More punters = Larger matchday market = more matchday revenue. Simples.

Oh - and about the billboards - cracks me up!! It's a TENNER to get in tommorow - who knows about it? The people going anyway and their pal if we are lucky!

Even Falkirk have a 'Next Match' bilboard outside their ground. Why can't we pay to stick 4 or 5 up around the main arterial roads into Motherwell?

Interesting that a survey of people who go to the football and pay admission prices show 98% think its too dear.

I imagine 98% of drivers think petrol is too dear too.

And probably about 98% of taxpayers think taxes are too high.

And don't get me started on train fares, I bet 98% of commuters think they are a rip off.

So the questions to me are:

1. Is it overpriced for the product? definitely

2. Is there much demand there? probably a bit

3. Will we be able to reduce to bring that demand in? probably not

4. Will we reduce prices then? No

We're in a horrible circle just now. The demand is not satisfying the bills of the clubs. I don't know what the answer is but for the quality of product we have in Scotland not enough folk who do not go right now are interested of making a commitment of a season ticket. The club needs the income to sustain the fact we are one of the top six teams in Scotland right not and a significant reduction in season ticket revenue will only drive us to Irn Bru.

This is the 'Bradford Scheme' i'm always banging on about. They looked at their income from shite attendances paying through the roof in an empty stadium and got folk to 'sign up'. They only tried to get the same (perhaps a bit less even) ST income fro morew punters and adjusted the price accordingly.

Ended up with double the fans paying half the price = same income.

Not rocket Science!! More punters = Larger matchday market = more matchday revenue. Simples.

Oh - and about the billboards - cracks me up!! It's a TENNER to get in tommorow - who knows about it? The people going anyway and their pal if we are lucky!

Even Falkirk have a 'Next Match' bilboard outside their ground. Why can't we pay to stick 4 or 5 up around the main arterial roads into Motherwell?

Juan, I'll admit I borrowed that from your post in the other thread, upon reading it I thought the initiative used by Bradford was/is excellent.

I just wanted to highlight the extra income only 250 extra season tickets bring in, however as this thread has gone on I'm beginning to realise that retention is going to be a bigger issue for us this summer than new business despite achieving much more than we thought we would 1 year ago.

250 tickets earn the club over £60k, 1000 is £250k give or take. A fair bit of that could be returned to the fans if the club was willing to break even or take a relatively small cut. Desperate times call for desperate measures. We aren't desperate yet however I think its only 3 years away maximum.

Finlay, I must admit I have generally agreed with most of what you have written on here, I think our views regarding the business and the footballing side are more often than not mirrored. However I agree the sub £200 season ticket is a little bit away, its still worth merit discussing the numbers involved that facilitate it.

It would need a commitment and a gamble from the boardroom. I can't help feeling if Leeann didn't have to deal with the search for a new manager, Hugh Dallas "you've got mail", Gannon resigning, Pitch and top 6 fixtures then more credible initiatives could have been in place for next season.

As for Boyle, I reckon this season he'll have to dip into his pocket to the tune of at least £100k, I don't know what percentage of his total net worth that is, however you can't disagree it must hurt - even when on paper we've bucked the trend and had a successful season.

All, some excellent points above (Finlay, Tweed), though don't take the arse if I havenae mentioned you. :)

Noting many of you may vote tomorrow; why is it that:?

Scottish people pay the same BBC licence fee as the English & Welsh; yet:

All BBC viewers receive MOTD & The Championship Show. Yet;

Where is the equivalent product for the SPL?

Maybe I take this subject off-topic?

As I consumer, it is great that I can roll-in from the pub and catch the above, yet there is little SPL football on free-to-view as far as I see.

If; if a tenth of the BBC payment to the EPL and The Championship was given to Scotland, then maybe our game would stand a chance. If not; it never will.

As someone of Scottish descent, voting in an English constituency, I cannot help on Thursday.

BBC=EBC Use your vote wisely.

SD 

Seems to be a bit of debate about wether or not ST holders save money over the PATG fans but is there such a thing as a PATG punter who goes to every home game? IMO the people who PATG tend to pick & choose which home games to attend depending of finances, work commitments and so on. Whereas if your a ST holder you hate missing a game because you already paid for it. I realise that there are people who try and go to every game and don't have a ST because they couldn't afford the initial outlay but on a Tuesday night when it's pishing down how much easier is it to miss a game against Falkirk when you PATG. Just an opinion but i'd be interested to find out how many fans on here PATG and attend every home game.

Seems to be a bit of debate about wether or not ST holders save money over the PATG fans but is there such a thing as a PATG punter who goes to every home game? IMO the people who PATG tend to pick & choose which home games to attend depending of finances, work commitments and so on. your because you already paid for it. I realise that there are people who try and go to every game and don't have a ST because they couldn't afford the initial outlay but on a Tuesday night when it's pishing down how much easier is it to miss a game against Falkirk when you PATG. Just an opinion but i'd be interested to find out how many fans on here PATG and attend every home game.

I don't pay in to watch falkirk i go because i love motherwell and just because i can't lay my hands on the £'s to buy a season ticket up front it doesn't mean i want to miss games

The real problem is that no one except hardcore fans even know about the price-cut deals!

I just think this whole cut the prices and fans will come flooding back idea is not realistic.

It's obvious attendances are down but I've been going to Fir Park since the mid 80's and we've NEVER had a big support. At our very peak support in all those years we maybe had 5,000 - 5,500 fans that would turn up during the boom years of the late 90's/early 00's. But for most of the time it's been between 4,000 - 4,500. Now it's down to about 3,500- 4,000 during a recession.

At the very most, there are maybe 1,000 - 1,500 floating supporters that at one time or other have come out to support us and have drifted away but in the age of televised football, getting half of them back would be optimistic.

We simply can't afford to slash prices to attract a 1,000 extra fans. Are you going to reduce prices by 50% if the very best you can hope for is a 25% increase in attendance with the likelihood that it would actually be significantly less? That is financial suicide.

After consideration I have decided not to run with a season ticket next season.

On the basis that I got 2.5% wage increase 2 years ago, frozen last year, and likely to be the same again; I refuse to pay a 5% increase on an already overpriced ST. When I hear a 5% discount on last season's price, I expect to save 5% on what I paid last season, which is not the case, despite the misleading headline the club are utilising.

I can also see the crowds further dwindling next season, and as I intend to pick and choose matches next season, I see myself unlikely to pay £18 to sit in the ramshackle stand to watch us play ICT, Falkirk/St Mirren, etc.

Tenner a game makes sense, which represents fair VFM, and is likely to be the only hope in hell the club have of attracting fans back to the games. It may even result in the same revenue being generated if successful.

It's obvious attendances are down but I've been going to Fir Park since the mid 80's and we've NEVER had a big support. At our very peak support in all those years we maybe had 5,000 - 5,500 fans that would turn up during the boom years of the late 90's/early 00's. But for most of the time it's been between 4,000 - 4,500. Now it's down to about 3,500- 4,000 during a recession.

But since the mid 80's the population of Motherwell & Wishaw has increased by what, 15,000 with all the new housing estates and developments. We haven't pursued these new people.