Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

Can we stop talking about the Man United players you like to sign in champy please?

Mark Kerr is worth a few million and always ends up in the premiership ffs.

Usually wouldn't mention a United player but given that they have offloaded a handful of youngsters, I'd be surprised if Brown & Knox weren't having a word with Ferguson.

Given that Southend have released Alan McCormack, I expect one or two on here to push for his signature. Might be the wrong time though, given that we have Lasley, Jennings, Hateley, Fitzpatrick and Forbes on board already, with Coke still a possibility too.

For me our priorities are a good 'keeper, a winger and a striker.

you need plenty of centre midfielders if you sign mccormack because he's guaranteed to be suspended 2 or 3 times in a season.

cracking player who gave us 100% in his time here and a couple of cracking goals but i don't think we need him just now though a 3 man midfield of him, jennings and lasley would be a scary sight for the opposition. since money seems to be tight funds should be going towards a keeper, winger and striker. a few quality players makes a big, big difference in this league.

Certainly getting in about Airdrie this preseason. Glad Brown has given Coke a date (that is quite soon) to respond to the offer. As has been said a 'keeper, winger, and striker are the main priorities imo.

Glad Brown has given Coke a date

I think it's more when his contract runs out than Brown giving any sort of deadlines

McCormack has looked lazy for several years now - certainly a skillful player

Are you talking about the same McCormack? Lazy and skilful are not adjectives I would use to describe the old Alan McCormack.

what we're being linked with certainly seems to be the bottom of the barrel. part time spaniards with dubious cv's, freed cypriots with mysterious sell on clauses and airdrie players.

i thought the plan would have been to go for 2 or 3 quality signings with our own youngsters adding the depth. right now i'm starting to think we might be downsizing again.

Quality signings cost loads of money which no-on in this country has any of. I trust Craig and Archie to unearth real gems, they've been in the game longer than virtually anyone in Scottish management.

Or you could argue we're trying to sign an ex Real Madrid youth player, a young centre half with potential and 2 youth playes.

Depends what way ya look at it...

unfortunately the way i look at it.

1. a guy who has been playing what equates to regional non league football in spain.

2. a 21 year old who had never played for his club and was only part of their b team but for some reason they seem to think he's going to command a transfer fee at some point down the line.

3. if the young guys are being signed to flesh out the u19s then that's fine but we have quinn, haslam, meechan, innes, pollock, mckinnon, smith, mchugh and page who are too old for the u19s and need to try and make an impression on the first team at some point over the next two seasons. i don't think we need many more young players.

Non League football in Spain which has teams that were playing La Liga Football not too long ago - in fact from next season a team that was playing La Liga Football Three years ago. That "Non-League" would probably do over a fair few Scottish Clubs - including SPL Clubs.

Quality signings cost loads of money which no-on in this country has any of. I trust Craig and Archie to unearth real gems, they've been in the game longer than virtually anyone in Scottish management.

We have proved many time over that you don't necessarily need money to get quality.

As for signing Spanish Non-League players.

Some of the players that have graced our league in the past 10yrs, have probably came from Spanish Non-League.

Quino, Rubio and Davide Fernandez - all of Livingston came from Spanish Non-League. Quino and Rubio being arguably two of the best midfielders/centre backs respectively. And Fernandez has been responsbible for a 6-figure transfer fee.

Nacho Novo and Javier Artero - both of Dundee (I know Novo was initially Raith). Novo came from lower league club - Huesca and has since gone on to be a Rangers cult legend and scored the best part of 100 goals in Scotland. Artero on the other hand was a fixture for a couple of seasons at Dundee from another non-league Spanish Club and scored one of the best goals the SPL has seen (at our expense, as we all know).

Francisco Sandaza - Yes may have been on the books of Valencia, but there B team participate in the non-league section of Spain. And bar fitness problems, seems a decent enough SPL striker.

Suso Santana - A slowish start to his Hearts career - but was a fixture in there first XI last season, who despite being pish still claimed a top 6 spot. Another player that came from non-league Spain. He may have been on the books at La Liga Tenerife (well La Liga, as of last season anyway) but he spent his career on loan at lower league clubs.

Plenty of players out there that would do more than a job in the SPL. Let's face it if Jim Hamilton, Kyle Lafferty, Yves MaKalambay, Mo Camara etc can cut out a career in the SPL. Then some Spanish rejects are probably more than capable.

If he does impress can we maybe look at not slagging him off until mid October at the earliest as that's roughly when the Duke chat went from lazy useless bum to worldbeater in the eyes of many of the well support. Unless he has a few Van Vossen moments ... then I'll lead the chanting.

Don't be daft. If he does sign they'll be people slagging him off before he ever makes a team sheet... hell some have already questioned signing a lower league player already, when if I'm not mistaken Dundee United walked third place and a cup win by basically building a team of lower league players :whistling:

I'd be amazed if we DO sign him. Given the number of players we have had on trial since January (and not heard a thing about since) it would be different and refreshing for someone to break that run. Admittedly, that may be down to other factors and not just 'not being good enough'.

Now if he does get signed he must have something in the eyes of Brown/Knox and for the time being that will do for me.

Still worried about Hollis though. Like to give my posts a bit of balance :whistling:

3. if the young guys are being signed to flesh out the u19s then that's fine but we have quinn, haslam, meechan, innes, pollock, mckinnon, smith, mchugh and page who are too old for the u19s and need to try and make an impression on the first team at some point over the next two seasons. i don't think we need many more young players.

These 2 may be involved in the first team but I doubt being 17 / Recently 18 is too old for the u-19s squad

Shane Smeltz from New Zealand worth a punt? Been the top scorer in the A league for last two years & is a class above most others from that league. He's also desperate for a move to Europe. Having seen him play all last season id be happy to see him given a trial.

Agree with others though that all the strikers & midfielders in the world won't do us any good if we can't get a decent keeper signed up.