Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

Gareth Williams!? (free agent) Midfielder

Marlon Harewood? (free agent) Striker

No chalnce. Marlon Harewood must've been touching 20k a week with his last contract. Gareth Williams hasn't kicked a ball in almost 3 years!! He is most likely going to have to retire if he doesn't find a club this summer. He is also going to looking for decent money I would imagine. Was a good player, will now probably struggle to run the length of the centre circle due to his knee.

So nobody signed for the games v the Norwegians then? I thought we were told if we got through against Briedablik there would be funds for someone? Do we have to get through against the Norweigians in order for replacements to be sourced now for O'Brien and Jutkiewicz especially?

Biggest problem Motherwell have, like most teams outside the Old Firm, is the wages that we can offer. I'm sure that we could have matched the reported 200k Coventry paid for the Duke but he will be getting easily 3, 4, 5 times the wages we could offer.

It's time for Pa Broon and Archie to use their so called long list of contacts and try to persuade some of the Premiership Managers to loan us some of their players that need valuable first team football. Motherwell need to foster good relationships with a few of these clubs and become effectively feeder clubs for them - giving young players the opportunity to get regular first team football at a club that will treat them right and play an attractive brand of passing football.

It's time for Pa Broon and Archie to use their so called long list of contacts and try to persuade some of the Premiership Managers to loan us some of their players that need valuable first team football. Motherwell need to foster good relationships with a few of these clubs and become effectively feeder clubs for them - giving young players the opportunity to get regular first team football at a club that will treat them right and play an attractive brand of passing football.

I'd take a guess that they've been trying to that very thing since the end of last season. Even young players will be on a daft wage, which we'll be expected to pay a share of. I think we were very lucky with loan players last year as they clearly had more to offer than was realised at their clubs.

You might find it will be easier to deal with the clubs now from the Premiership than it was last season due to the squad restrictions. It's the same reason why clubs in Spain can have top quality players out on loan to rival clubs and have a full team worth of players out on loan.

Granted wages could still be a problem

I know Benfica of Portugal (another nation with squad restrictions) had over 15 players out on loan last season (a fair few in the top league)

In a "nice guy" competition Craig Brown would clearly win hands down versus Gannon by all accounts, but Gannons contacts and ability to unearth players we've never heard of but turn out to be crackers so far appears to be untouchable.

On the subject of the new EPL regulations being of help to us, I reckon they might be a hindrance. As well as the 25 man squad that EPL sides will be allowed, they will be aloowed an unlimited number of U21 players. So the chances of those U21 players going out on loan might be slightly diminished. There will be older, more established players that they'll have to sell/send out on loan but I reckon we'll be less likely to get them...

In a "nice guy" competition Craig Brown would clearly win hands down versus Gannon by all accounts, but Gannons contacts and ability to unearth players we've never heard of but turn out to be crackers so far appears to be untouchable.

Gannon had funds, Brown doesn't. Simple as that.

Just watched the CB interview on the beeb website to quote him on potential new signings -

'There is no budget at the moment, we would hope that the purse strings could be loosened if we progress'

Think this entire thread goes on the back burner until we know the outcome of the next 2 crucial games!