Remember Football Before.......

Scarecrow

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chips and scrammashes at Auchterarder -_-

Bottles of whisky getting passed round, open air toilets, cinder terracing, Airdrie :wank: in the top flight,

Tiny Wharton, amber shirt with claret hoop, crew cuts, Davie Whiteford penalties, McInally hoi, bovver boys, Texaco Cup, the Gorgie Invaders, Jimmy Yuille's pit helmet, Matt Johnstone's pink jumper, sitting on the perimeter wall behind the goals, Band of Gold playing on the PA, 5p bovril

You forgot them pesky slippery stairs in the 'New East Stand' big fella :wank:

well, after the construction of the DC, and South Stands I'm sure our crowds for these games was always around the 12,000 mark, suggesting to me that maybe around half of that would be Motherwell fans. Much more than a just a regular turnout of well fans :nod:

it seems Well fans stay away from these fixtures more and more these days :(

i dont blame them however.....

Nothing new there, our own fans have always stayed away when their hordes come to town, there would be more Well fans at the games you speak of but there would more Well fans at every game at that time probably.

Chips and scrammashes at Auchterarder :lol:

Bottles of whisky getting passed round, open air toilets, cinder terracing, Airdrie :lol: in the top flight,

Tiny Wharton, amber shirt with claret hoop, crew cuts, Davie Whiteford penalties, McInally hoi, bovver boys, Texaco Cup, the Gorgie Invaders, Jimmy Yuille's pit helmet, Matt Johnstone's pink jumper, sitting on the perimeter wall behind the goals, Band of Gold playing on the PA, 5p bovril

Ah stoapit noo...yer makin me tearie...

there was plenty on that bus,me, my brother,spike,ownsey,woggy,big rab and rab taylor,doogle etc :lol:

I used to get that bus as well to sunny viewpark when i was a nipper along with my cousin Tommy Dixon (RIP), later in years went to the games with spike (Ian) and wee ownsey ( never changed in the last 20 years ). Big woggy ( RIP) as well as Geordie Graham (RIP) another viewpark Motherwell legend.

Great memories.

JT.

It was great to stop at Auchterarder as some have mentioned. I mind as well the BBC on a Saturday morning when the sports program started and they had those circles with football, horse racing etc. and the live typewriter with the scores as they came in that stopped like Dundee 1 Motherwell....took ages it seemed and that was the "internet" those days.

Ian Archer's Herald report of our 3-2 cup win against Celtic at FP when Pettigrew scored from the byline.

Roger Hynd's era when they handed out whisky to fans before our cup game against some lower opposition (QP or QOS) and we lost.

Seeing the floodlights in the distance from the bus from Newarthill.

Getting home soaked and miserable but stopping for chips at the cafe on the way home and all I could think of was the next game....

Standing at the cage when the East was still terracing , exchanging pleasantries wi the away fans on the other side . That wis atmosphere right there .

Bring back standing , and bring back the cage !

Standing by the cage and leaving asfter a game with bits of Chapmans pie in your hair and all over you as the away fans used the fencing to shred them into meat shrapnel lol.

And the trek to the top of the bing to get the pies from the wee booth at the top

I used to get that bus as well to sunny viewpark when i was a nipper along with my cousin Tommy Dixon (RIP), later in years went to the games with spike (Ian) and wee ownsey ( never changed in the last 20 years ). Big woggy ( RIP) as well as Geordie Graham (RIP) another viewpark Motherwell legend.

Great memories.

JT.

geordie's house next to maranda's was a must after the games :lol:

It was great to stop at Auchterarder as some have mentioned. I mind as well the BBC on a Saturday morning when the sports program started and they had those circles with football, horse racing etc. and the live typewriter with the scores as they came in that stopped like Dundee 1 Motherwell....took ages it seemed and that was the "internet" those days.

Ian Archer's Herald report of our 3-2 cup win against Celtic at FP when Pettigrew scored from the byline.

Roger Hynd's era when they handed out whisky to fans before our cup game against some lower opposition (QP or QOS) and we lost.

Seeing the floodlights in the distance from the bus from Newarthill.

Getting home soaked and miserable but stopping for chips at the cafe on the way home and all I could think of was the next game....

Nostalgia. you goitta love it

I mind as well the BBC on a Saturday morning when the sports program started and they had those circles with football, horse racing etc. and the live typewriter with the scores as they came in that stopped like Dundee 1 Motherwell....took ages it seemed and that was the "internet" those days.

How good was it when 'Well scored that many goals that they had to put the figure in text just to make it clear it wasn't a miss-print.

If you weren't able to get to the game seeing something like...

Clydebank 1 Motherwell 7 (Seven)

-

-

....on Grandstand's vidi-printer was pretty good consolation!

How good was it when 'Well scored that many goals that they had to put the figure in text just to make it clear it wasn't a miss-print.

If you weren't able to get to the game seeing something like...

Clydebank 1 Motherwell 7 (Seven)

-

-

....on Grandstand's vidi-printer was pretty good consolation!

Brilliant match and a really entertaining team.

Jumped on umpteen trains to get to this match and made even better by sitting next to Hugh Sproat heading to Clydebank.

Great support that day and pretty sure Kilbowie was the first British all seater, even although it was all wooden benches?

Might have been mistaken, but pretty sure Shuggie was in goals that day.

I've only been going to games since 96/97 but I still have the following.

I remember the amazing feeling you got when you had Ceefax at page "310" between 3pm and 4.50pm and you noticed Motherwell had scored if you weren't at the game. Also, if you weren't at the game you had to listen to the radio religiously between 2 and 3, otherwise you wouldn't know the team until the next day.

I remember when you wouldn't get a forward wearing number 2 or a defender wearing number 10 and there was no such thing as number 88, 91, 76 etc etc.

I remember when the only centre half that didn't wear black boots was that fud Annoni from the Sellick.

Great memories.

JT.

I remember Geordie Graham well. I must have lived in a wee coccoon of my own. The only other person I knew who was a Motherwell supporter was Lindsay Hamilton who played in goals for Rangers at one point. He used to be standing at the Bus Stop with his mum and if I was on the bus she'd put him on and I'd take him to the match and she'd be back waiting for him when we got home.

I've only been going to games since 96/97 but I still have the following.

I remember the amazing feeling you got when you had Ceefax at page "310" between 3pm and 4.50pm and you noticed Motherwell had scored if you weren't at the game. Also, if you weren't at the game you had to listen to the radio religiously between 2 and 3, otherwise you wouldn't know the team until the next day.

I remember when you wouldn't get a forward wearing number 2 or a defender wearing number 10 and there was no such thing as number 88, 91, 76 etc etc.

I remember when the only centre half that didn't wear black boots was that fud Annoni from the Sellick.

The first time I remember seeing a player wearing a number that was wrong, just wrong, was Mickey Hazzard at Spurs a midfielder who was just an inch or two over 5ft and wore the No 5 jersey.

I remember a game v Rangers back in the seventies I was standing in my usual spot behind the home dugout that was on the right hand side of the tunnel and the box behind with the subs a Rangers fan managed to get in with the 'Well fans and was given out all the sectarian shit when the polis was walking round the edge of the pitch like they used to do in the good old days, anyway the 'Well fans get his attention and pointing towards the guy in blue...Polis "mon pal were going for a wee walk" Paul Wilson was in the box and he says to me "What did he do?'...."He is a Rangers fan"

Lots of laughter in the box.

See not all the action happend in the East Stand. :lol: