Remember Football Before.......

Scarecrow

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What always brings memories of fitba' in the past(fifties and possibly early sixties) is::

Jimmy Shand's Bluebell Polka

As soon as the final whistle went it was put on the tannoy, not just at Fir Park but at other stadiums as well.

Don't know why.

:senile:

Probably to get us out the ground a bit quicker.

Getting the 240 bus from Lanark with my Dad and feeling excited as others with claret & amber scarves got on at Braidwood, Carluke,Law Hospital, Wishaw and then seeing the steam coming out of Colvilles and knowing we were almost there.

Being excited at seeing foreign players for the first time, think it was Dundee United who had a couple of Scandinavians

The ball going over the roof on what was then the covered terrace and the delay in either getting it back or the substitute ball coming on and being tested by the ref before play could resume.

my main memories are being a mascot being in the dressing room, and running out with all the players more or less the cup winning team as it was only the year before.

my first ever last game of the season hiding under the stairs at the old pie stall in the pod shitting myself as id never seen a pitch invasion before live.

on a side note i dont suppose anyone has a copy of the programe the day i was mascot it was v dunfermilne pretty sure we won 3-0 was 1990 my name is in the prog i did have it but it dissappeared willing to pay as well would love to see that programme again

some of the aulder yin's will remember Joe Wark's testimonial game v West Brom in about '78?

at half-time they had a sprinting competition between the players of baith teams from one end of the pitch to the next. first two places were Laurie Cunningham & Cyrille Regis, then Pettigrew..........followed by the rest of the W.Brom team & then the full Motherwell team bringing up the rear!

I was only 6 but I'm sure the coca-cola kid (a wee smart erse c*nt in an Argentina top) was there keeping the baw up all the way roond the pitch at half time as well.

even then I was dying to jump the wall & kick the baw away.

:evilgrin:

If you're thinking, he disnae half remember a lot about half-time in that game, it's cos we got humped 8-1 & I'm trying ma best to forget it :dash2:

some of the aulder yin's will remember Joe Wark's testimonial game v West Brom in about '78?

at half-time they had a sprinting competition between the players of baith teams from one end of the pitch to the next. first two places were Laurie Cunningham & Cyrille Regis, then Pettigrew..........followed by the rest of the W.Brom team & then the full Motherwell team bringing up the rear!

I was only 6

Ye've done well but I think your memories of the compy are clouded by the using we got in the game. The sprint only featured 4 players, those mentioned and Peter Marinello, the rest bringing up the rear aptly describes the game itself IIRC :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Junior Cup 1/4 final yesterday Dalry Thistle v. Kirkintilloch (don't ask) and even in the Juniors baith teams come oot the gither like the 'guins at Embra Zoo.

Goat me thinking...ah much preferred it when the teams came oot on their ain. Booing wae our hearts content when the other team ran oot at Fir Park then raising the terracing roof when the Well came oot. Something majical seeing Joe Wark leading the troops oot wae his familiar gait.

Ah want teams coming oot withoot shaking hauns wae all in sundry and let's have goalies swinging on the crossbar again. Whit's Shuggie Sproat daeing nooadays anyway?

Anyone remember the 1970s Fir Park Road Shows, where Well players would give exhibitions of ball control and Bill Dickie would talk about the history of the club. I'm sure at the Forth one we had a mini five-a-side tournament with Joe Wark and Jimmy Lindsay both playing in goal. Great memories!

Remember a lot of the things people have just discussed above. My experiences:

The very first home game of the season, walking up the "hill" and seeing the beautiful grass and white lines on the pitch

The stanchions having been painted in amber

Being in the East stand, looking at the tunnel for the first glimpse of our heroes in Claret and Amber

Getting a lift-over the turnstiles

On the school bus going to Hamilton and watching for players cars going to training. My hero of the time was Bobby Graham and I knew the make and model of his vehicle and was so chuffed to see him pass sometimes

Waiting in Newarthill for the Central bus to Tynescastle and it didn't stop......... :doh: went home and cried my eyes out to my dog who was happy to see me :nod:

The East stand atmosphere with rival fans separated before the fence

Young boys in the East stand doing a kop thing when we were close to scoring

Going to that store in Motherwell - Forsyths? (albeit was a mens' store) and buying a claret scarf with little logos of the fir tree on it, twas a class scarf

Is that wee shop still there..or has it gone?

Yes that first home game of the season...magic!

Thanks for the reminder C&A :drinks:

Correct, Ian St John installed it as he wanted to view the game from above to get a beter perspective without sitting in the stand. Unlike Lennon who obviously likes viewing from the stands. :evilgrin:

Was it Roger Hynd that got the phone put in the dugout and one in the main stand where he prefered to watch the game?