2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

I reckon sutton is better at dropping back and getting involved in the play whereas at times I've seen higdon wait for the play to come to him. And our reliance on sutton doing that made him more impotent than he should have been. It was no coincidence that sutton had his best run when jeffers with him who did the donkey work. FJ was a great bit of business for us.

• Like 1

I think Higdon offers much better technique than Sutton and will be superior at holding the ball up.

While I've been impressed by Higdon whenever I've seen him against us or on the TV against the OF, I understand that he can look sluggish and off the pace at times. It is important that he has competition to keep him on his toes.

If we can get the best out of him, he will prove to be a more than adequate replacement for Sutton.

Words 'Rhubarb' mate. JOB could teach Humphrey a thing or two. He is ahead of him and all your childlike, tunnel vision, one way, man crushes can't stop that.

Dazzer, your also on a football message board not writing for an episode of 'Terry and June'.

Yes your right..... Rhubarb....was typing to quick.... and most prob could teach Humphrey a thing or two....but it never fails to get a rise from you .... perfect.

I reckon sutton is better at dropping back and getting involved in the play whereas at times I've seen higdon wait for the play to come to him. And our reliance on sutton doing that made him more impotent than he should have been. It was no coincidence that sutton had his best run when jeffers with him who did the donkey work. FJ was a great bit of business for us.

Your just making stuff up now

I'm happy that McCall has signed a replacement for Sutton and I hope Higdon gets 15+ goals for us.

My only issue is that he's no better that Sutton and I always think players we sign should be better than the player they replace, mind you Motherwell can't afford to do that all the time (we just have to develop them ourselves)

"Michael passed a medical and signed his contract this morning but will only be registered a Motherwell player when the Transfer Window re-opens next Thursday, 9th June 2011."

Oh dear, knowing our luck something will f*ck up between now and thursday!

Kidding aside, welcome aboard Michael. :thumbup:

i think some people are going to be in for a bit of a shock when they see Higdon play.......dont get me wrong, I'm delighted we have signed him, good old fashioned centre forward who likes to put himself about and can find the back of the net

but without a shadow of a doubt - Sutton had more pace and was more mobile than Higdon. Sutton will never be as quick as Kenny Miller, but he wasnt as slow as a dinosaur. He just looked very clumsy when he was running

Sutton is/was fitter and quicker than Higdon - hopefully with a good pre season under his belt this will improve

Anyway - delighted to have another body on board, and lets hope he gets off to a flier before the boo boys get on his back

i think some people are going to be in for a bit of a shock when they see Higdon play.......dont get me wrong, I'm delighted we have signed him, good old fashioned centre forward who likes to put himself about and can find the back of the net

but without a shadow of a doubt - Sutton had more pace and was more mobile than Higdon. Sutton will never be as quick as Kenny Miller, but he wasnt as slow as a dinosaur. He just looked very clumsy when he was running

Sutton is/was fitter and quicker than Higdon - hopefully with a good pre season under his belt this will improve

Anyway - delighted to have another body on board, and lets hope he gets off to a flier before the boo boys get on his back

Sutton was as slow as fuck, easily the slowest centre-forward in the league. Dont get me wrong, I'm not slating him as he done a decent job for us, but mobility was not his forte.

Yes your right..... Rhubarb....was typing to quick.... and most prob could teach Humphrey a thing or two....but it never fails to get a rise from you .... perfect.

:lol: Indeed.

Please excuse me and don't take it personally. I have a weakness for teasing the lovestruck.

Just had a wee gander and here's some general thoughts from the St.Mirren's fans forum site (Black and White Army)on Higdon...

"Higdon is as good as we can expect, however, he's a lower Championship league side at best...his true level, down south: League 1"

"I would like him to stay, but he is not a great loss if he goes, he's a lazy bastard most of the time and thinks he is better than what he is, he is easily replacable."

"If he went to Hearts they would have the fatest and slowest strike force"

"I think Higdon has been one of the most frustrating players to play for Saints in recent years. He obviously has the ability but at times appeared to lack motivation thus appearing very lazy."

"He scored 15 goals last season, including penalties which is fair enough, the season before he scored 6 goals! Higdon will never score that many goals regularly every season so is easily replacable."

etc etc etc...

Sutton was as slow as fuck, easily the slowest centre-forward in the league. Dont get me wrong, I'm not slating him as he done a decent job for us, but mobility was not his forte.

I agree with you, it certainly was not his forte - but its certainly not Higdon's either!!!

Would rather still to have Sutton but Higdon is a decent choice to replace him, I fear he may be a target for the boo boys if he dosnt make a good start to season, let's not forget Sutton wasn't everyones favourite until Brown left.

Good luck big man hope you score a barrow load of goals for us.

i love it how st midden fans on the internet have all come to a universal decision that higdon is now shite, and that their club is just as big as ours :lol::doh:

It's the same coping mechanism our fans use when we lose a player. i.e. Sutton was slow and shite, Foran only scored penalties etc. We normally start getting stuck into them when the contract is almost up!

As far as I'm concerned Higdon has been brought in to do the same job Sutton did, and McCall pretty much spelled that out. Similar ages, similar styles of play, and similar goals record, so I'm not complaining.

It's great to see us address a need almost immediately. With the slightly longer close-season this year it would be nice to have our squad settled before the pre-season training starts for a change. However, I'd be surprised to see more than a couple more new faces.

• Like 1

What is interesting is we got a manager in to scout the lower leagues in England and we replace our top scorer with a player from one of our rivals just up the M8 :lol: More looking forward to seeing who McCall can convince to come North........

I had a similar thought and I'll be interested to see if McCall does bring anyone up from down south after all he must have a note books full of players he had his eyes on

time will tell

Sutton is a better player than Higdon which is why Sutton has gone on to a bigger club and more money and we've got Higdon. Suttons goal scoring record in Scotland is better and more consistant.

But all things considered Higdon has the potential to be a good replacement. He's scored a decent amount of goals for teams that have generally struggled and with any luck he'll be playing in a side that won't be fighting relegation and creates more chances.

He tends to score in bunches though rather than being a regular goal scorer and I think he needs to kept in shape by the coaching staff but pretty happy at the signing.