Okay, Will I Be The First To Say It?

MJC_MKI

There is no way the board will admit they have failed and get rid of the manager. They will stick with him but the summer is going to need a major rebuilding job and i doubt very much he will get the funds to do it . Also i fear in the summer with performances like today we wont be selling many season tickets in the summer which will impact on the player budget he gets tough times ahead in my opinion

This thread going to appear after every defeat now?

Point taken.

The next time this thread gets bumped try to have something worth posting, otherwise it's getting binned.

Simply saying "Bumped. Another defeat" or suchlike isn't on.

• Like 2

There is no way the board will admit they have failed and get rid of the manager. They will stick with him but the summer is going to need a major rebuilding job and i doubt very much he will get the funds to do it . Also i fear in the summer with performances like today we wont be selling many season tickets in the summer which will impact on the player budget he gets tough times ahead in my opinion

That will all change when we win the cup :yahoo:

This thread going to appear after every defeat now? McCall, imo, can't be fully judged until the end of the summer transfer window. Let us see how we do then as there should be a big change in personnel.

You spot on the money, certain posters will probably bump this thread every defeat until the day McCall goes.

Glad I didn't waste my money on that, a promising start fell away through combination of poor defending and a very very soft penalty. After that we just were not at the races and manager might not be immune, but given we lost Jeffers and Saunders and Hammell in space last training session before game, the warm up and early on in first half he probably slightly limited in what he could do.

Personally players need to take responsibility for their own atittude and desire to win or at least fight for things. That is one thing I don't think any manager can really instill, has to be in you just my thoughts though.

Point taken.

The next time this thread gets bumped try to have something worth posting, otherwise it's getting binned.

Simply saying "Bumped. Another defeat" or suchlike isn't on.

To bin the thread because someone uses a defeat to back up a point seems a bit extreme. Is that not verging on censorship of a sort in fact?

I am actually wanting to defend McCall today. I did not want him to get the job and there is warning signs that he may not be the man for the job but I am starting to warm to him.

Todays defeat was not his fault. Individual players making really poor decisions at crucial moments in a game is not something that a manager can do much about. Players that give up after the 3rd goal goes in is,but only after the game is finished. The response from the players will be interesting over the next few weeks.

What I like however is the way in which he is getting the team to play the game. He is obviousy an advocate of the ball on the deck football and even at 3-1 the team did not revert to the long ball which is a plus in my view.

I liked his interview after the game today. He sounded angry which I am pleased to hear and he hit the nail on the head regarding the deficiencies in the team.

One thing though, the suggestion from some that motivation is not a managers responsibility seems crazy to me. I think that it is the most important part of a football managers job. This is the bit that is still up for debate as far as McCall is concerned in my view. Being up for the fight against the Old Firm and in the Scottish Cup is one thing but not turning up against Killie, St Mirren, Accies etc is where he needs to prove his worth.

To bin the thread because someone uses a defeat to back up a point seems a bit extreme. Is that not verging on censorship of a sort in fact?

I am actually wanting to defend McCall today. I did not want him to get the job and there is warning signs that he may not be the man for the job but I am starting to warm to him.

Todays defeat was not his fault. Individual players making really poor decisions at crucial moments in a game is not something that a manager can do much about. Players that give up after the 3rd goal goes in is,but only after the game is finished. The response from the players will be interesting over the next few weeks.

What I like however is the way in which he is getting the team to play the game. He is obviousy an advocate of the ball on the deck football and even at 3-1 the team did not revert to the long ball which is a plus in my view.

I liked his interview after the game today. He sounded angry which I am pleased to hear and he hit the nail on the head regarding the deficiencies in the team.

One thing though, the suggestion from some that motivation is not a managers responsibility seems crazy to me. I think that it is the most important part of a football managers job. This is the bit that is still up for debate as far as McCall is concerned in my view. Being up for the fight against the Old Firm and in the Scottish Cup is one thing but not turning up against Killie, St Mirren, Accies etc is where he needs to prove his worth.

I wouldn't say not his responsibility entirely, if players are down he needs to lift them. But qualities like grit and determination I think are inbred in players and if you haven't got that inner metal any manager is gonna struggle to turn that round. Maybe not impossible but to my mind very difficult, a good manager is hopefully one that can judge character and bring in players with character as well as ability.

I think we were a bit unlucky today to find ourselves where we were. We had three injuries picked up over yesterday, the warm up and the first five to ten minutes of the match. We don't have a converyer belt of players ready to jump in to play in every position. We ended up needing Hateley in two positions, with a central midfield that had no pace and our most inexperienced defender up against Eremenko. Had we reshaped we could have ended up with square pegs in round holes all over the shop. Considering the number of setbacks we had we started very well socred a lovely goal and looked on. The equaliser was a blow but we did all right after that but they had upped their game. This may not be the best team we have ever played but Kilmarnock are a very tough nut to crack this season and the confidence their leveller instilled in them caused us as many problems as our own deficiencies. We then get a nonsense penalty given against us so we are behind and their confidence level is up another notch.

We have a couple of other issues as the 2nd half starts. Both our central midfielders are on a card (one of whom is lucky to be on the pitch) so can't go sliding in willy nilly and the loss of Saunders meant he had one less change in his locker so couldn't change too soon. Just to compound all that a goalie who has looked assured at every corner just about all season long decides to have an absolute clanger and we're 3-1 down. By this time Killie are flying and we are struggling to get out but the ease they got through us at times was because we were trying to play a higher line to get back in the game. Bearing in mind the makeshift nature of this team it was always likely to cause problems which it did. But what has kind of pissed me off is that people have a bee in their bonnet about McCall are using this game to have a pop without considering the mitigating factors of which there have been many and also people saying that the team didn't try. Weren't good enough maybe but not trying I think is grossly unfair. I wasn;t at the game and watched it on telly but to me there was no vibe of lack of effort until the later stages of the game - probably just after the goal line clearance.

McCall has us pressing well and he has us passing well. Sometimes it isn't working but this is not yet his team but I think he has the signs of being a good manager. Funds may cause him a problem long term and the lack of ability in the squad may make his ideal system hard to work but I continue to grow to him even in adversity,

I wouldn't say not his responsibility entirely, if players are down he needs to lift them. But qualities like grit and determination I think are inbred in players and if you haven't got that inner metal any manager is gonna struggle to turn that round. Maybe not impossible but to my mind very difficult, a good manager is hopefully one that can judge character and bring in players with character as well as ability.

Fair enough. As a complete aside Malky, are you a Tolstoy fan or do you just like that particular quote? I have always wanted to read War and Peace but never get round to it.

Fair enough. As a complete aside Malky, are you a Tolstoy fan or do you just like that particular quote? I have always wanted to read War and Peace but never get round to it.

I just stumbled across the quote and liked it. I've always wanted to want to read War and Peace but just haven't got round to it yet. :)

Bumped.

Yet another reason why McCall is not the man for the job today, yet again a gutless display.

Where were you when we beat Celtic? Where were you when we beat Aberdeen? Where will you be when we qualify for the Semi Final?

Edited by Cakes
Abuse removed.

Calm down.

I was here when we beat Celtic, and when we beat Aberdeen and I will be here if/when we reach the semi finals.

But my stance on this matter has not and unless things drastically improve, changed. I believe that Stuart McCall is not the right person for this job right now. The team have looked under motivated and under prepared for the majority of games so far under his watch and that is my biggest concern. I can take losing and I fully accept that Motherwell are not by any means a big club who can be expected to win more than they lose and compete at the top end of the table on a regular basis. For as long as Stuart McCall is Motherwell manager then I will be hoping that he can get the very, very best out of what he has at his disposal, which I appreciate at this moment in time is not a lot and if he can do this and get the team playing and fighting for the jersey so that when we do lose, we do so fighting. However from what I've seen so far, this has not happened and that is why I say what I say.

• Like 1

stupid

Really? And you think that someone posting "Bumped. Another defeat" isn't stupid?

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be negative opinions on McCall, and there has been a good few in this thread, but they at least have to come with some sort of reasonable argument.

Simply bumping the thread whenever we lose a game (and it's the same people who keep doing it) without an intelligent reason why only serves to start abusive posts and other childish behaviour, which isn't on.

• Like 3

I'm not going to get on McCall's back or anything but my gut feeling is MJC is right. Mon McCall prove us wrong

MJC is never right cos he only has one outlook, negative negative negative. Obviously by sticking to that he might look right sometimes but now and again you have to look at circumstances and make a call based on something other than sheer plain negativity. If I always stay positive even I'm going to right sometimes.

MJC is never right cos he only has one outlook, negative negative negative. Obviously by sticking to that he might look right sometimes but now and again you have to look at circumstances and make a call based on something other than sheer plain negativity. If I always stay positive even I'm going to right sometimes.

I looked at the circumstances early on and based my opinion of McCall on his track record. Nothing since then has given me cause to change that opinion.

There are those on here who think he cant be judged because these aren't his players, and he should be judged after he's spent some money and built his own team. Who's to say McCall's choices will be any better than what we've got? Remember McLeish? He took wee Tommy's team to 2nd place then ripped it apart to bring in his own people and almost got us relegated.

I think we need to see something from the guys he's got here already, something that will convince us he has the nous and skill to maybe take us a wee bit further.

Frankly, I dont think he's capable of that and I dont believe we should be allowing him what little cash we have at our disposal until we see some progress on the field.

That's my opinion, I dont think I'm being negative just realistic.

I looked at the circumstances early on and based my opinion of McCall on his track record. Nothing since then has given me cause to change that opinion.

There are those on here who think he cant be judged because these aren't his players, and he should be judged after he's spent some money and built his own team. Who's to say McCall's choices will be any better than what we've got? Remember McLeish? He took wee Tommy's team to 2nd place then ripped it apart to bring in his own people and almost got us relegated.

I think we need to see something from the guys he's got here already, something that will convince us he has the nous and skill to maybe take us a wee bit further.

Frankly, I dont think he's capable of that and I dont believe we should be allowing him what little cash we have at our disposal until we see some progress on the field.

That's my opinion, I dont think I'm being negative just realistic.

Maybe so but you weren't mentioned. There's a specific in there. Opinions can vary from fan to fan, one thing remains constant MJC will always predict in the negative. He can argue his points well and I do enjoy those arguments occasionally but practice makes perfect I suppose.

BTW don't know the guy, have no grudge against him and no axe to grind whatsoever, just from the totally opposite end of the spectrum :thumbup:

Once again I'd like to ask if anyone can suggest a realistic replacement for McCall who isn't just a stop-gap until the end of the season?

I can't think of anyone else who would take the job at the moment.

Not really a fair or sensible question, we cant be expected to have our fingers on the pulse of what's happening at other clubs in other leagues in the way that most people in the game can.

Sticking with the same old teabags just because you dont know where to get a better brew is just silly, get rid and then go looking for some decent tea. Set the agenda dont let it set you.

I see Ronnie Moore has left Rotherham. :whistling: