Was Tonight Evidence That Cheaper Ticket Prices Can Work?

David

Someone at Fir park is telling porkies with the official attendance figures :whistling: the East, Cooper and the POD stands were all about 90% full as was the South stand, given that the official capacity is approx 13,400 or so and they announced a crowd of just under 9,000 !!! I dont know where the other 4,000 fans were going to sit . Even allowing for all the hospitallity and corporate punters who dont go through the turnstiles it just does not seem correct.

But all that aside it was a cracking atmosphere at the game and in my opinion lowering the ticket prices will get more fans in the door, so heres hoping it will continue. Only downside was the embarassment of having to tell the United fans that there was not enough pies to go round, did they think that there would only be a few busloads of united fans down, the catering at FP is a joke :doh:

When this embarassing announcement was made all the Well fans should have sang " WE ATE ALL THE PIES WE ATE ALL THE PIES "

Someone at Fir park is telling porkies with the official attendance figures :whistling: the East, Cooper and the POD stands were all about 90% full as was the South stand, given that the official capacity is approx 13,400 or so and they announced a crowd of just under 9,000 !!! I dont know where the other 4,000 fans were going to sit . Even allowing for all the hospitallity and corporate punters who dont go through the turnstiles it just does not seem correct.

Funnily enough were discussing the 1993-94 replay against them, how we were rammed in yet the official figure was 9,000 or something. That night was sold out, folk standing 4 deep at the backof the East Stand and they try to say there were 4,000 seats empty. :laugh:

Maybe... But why would the club want to significantly reduce they're income over a "long period of time" for a shot of somthing that may or may not work?

I totally agree that football is over priced. Die hards will pay no matter what. Fans that aren't willing to pay the price are unlikely to ever become regulars and while cheaper tickets will encourge more people to come it will never bridge the loss of revenue.

The problem is, if we aren't enticing new people into the games then there are no new "die hards" being created, are there?

Once the current crowd of die-hards get older and stop going for whatever reason, what happens then? We'll see our crowd dwindling.

Football simply has to accept that it can't live in a bubble. It's competing with other weekend activities for their customers money.

Like any other industry that doesn't modernise and move with the times, it'll eventually pay the price.

The problem is, if we aren't enticing new people into the games then there are no new "die hards" being created, are there?

Once the current crowd of die-hards get older and stop going for whatever reason, what happens then? We'll see our crowd dwindling.

It's happening now, we have what could be termed a Cup crowd now, folk who will only turn up in numbers for important games, run of the mill league games at inflated prices just don't interest enough folk to attend on a regular basis.

It's happening now, we have what could be termed a Cup crowd now, folk who will only turn up in numbers for important games, run of the mill league games at inflated prices just don't interest enough folk to attend on a regular basis.

I think that some people doubt the interest in the "cup crowd" in turning up to regular league matches, regardless of the price.

I can only speak of my own experiences. At the United game midweek my other half was with me, and at least six of the eight lapsed 'Well fans I know quite well were also there.

My other half was really up for going to todays game, but changed her mind when she heard that the seat that cost her £10 midweek will cost her £22 today. She's just fucked off into Glasgow to meet her friends instead.

She then asked me if the prices would be "back to normal" for the United game this coming midweek, and again I had to tell her that this wasn't the case, so she'll likely not be at that game either. Once it get's to next weekend the enthusiasm she got from the 3-0 win will have all but died out. Although not as important as attending the games themselves, I'd also like to point out that she went into the club shop before the game on Wednesday and bought a 'Well scarf for the game, and spotted a few other things (roughly costing thirty odd quid) that she was going to buy "at the next game if I like this one today".

Needless to say she won't be spending that money in the club shop.

The other guys who are 'Well fans that were at the United game won't be at the game today either. One has his kids on a Saturday which is fair enough, and the others were grumbling about the price.