Was Tonight Evidence That Cheaper Ticket Prices Can Work?

David

I've just come home from a game that saw a crowd of just under 9,000. A game on a relatively cold, damp Wednesday night.

I took my other half with me to her first Motherwell game, and she fucking loved it. As soon as we got back to the car she asked me when the next game was, and was well up for going to the Aberdeen game.

When I told her that her £10 seat in the O'Donnell stand will cost her £22 on Saturday she suddenly lost the enthusiasm to go.

I wonder how many others will be saying the same thing after tonights game?

This would have been an excellent opportunity for the club to kick on and get some new bodies through the turnstiles, but I guarantee that when I plank my arse in my east stand seat on Saturday it'll be back to the usual attendance.

It's frustrating as hell :wallbash:

I agree totally, think if prices were reduced we would get more through the gates.

Although , I am aware of a few people who, generally follow the 'old squirm' at weekends, were at the game tonight because of the reduced prices and no footie on the tele. Don't think we would get them if the 'old squirm' were playing.

Yes very good crowd. However Radio Scotland said official crowd was 8,337 and that the number of Dundee Utd fans was 3,500. By my reckoning then our home support was only about 4,500 which is about our core rump. So the only reason for a big crowd was the size of the travelling away support brought down by Dundee Utd. dry.gif But this would perhaps have been much smaller had it been £20 to get in. My point is that the reduction in gate price to £10 did not seem to excite more locals to go.

There were far more Well fans there tonight compared to normal.

All tonight's attendance shows is that folk will turn up for big games.

And if everyone brought 2,500-3,000 travelling fans our average would shoot up.:whistling:

Your last point is correct but how you can say there were far more 'Well fans there tonight than normal is beyond me. If there were 8,337 in total and 3,500 were in the away end then that makes the home section of the gate 4,837 which is about maybe 837 above normal. Yes better to have them (and more importantly their money) but is was hardly a ringing endorsement by the locals. You can see why John Boyle has chucked it as he tried everything he could to try and boost our support but to no avail.

Your last point is correct but how you can say there were far more 'Well fans there tonight than normal is beyond me. If there were 8,337 in total and 3,500 were in the away end then that makes the home section of the gate 4,837 which is about maybe 837 above normal. Yes better to have them (and more importantly their money) but is was hardly a ringing endorsement by the locals. You can see why John Boyle has chucked it as he tried everything he could to try and boost our support but to no avail.

Because I prefer to look around me rather than trust official figures. There were far more Motherwell fans there than usual, I don't care what figures have been quoted what I'm saying is a fact.

Because I prefer to look around me rather than trust official figures. There were far more Motherwell fans there than usual, I don't care what figures have been quoted what I'm saying is a fact.

Gies peace. So you counted them all in and then counted them all out then! :sarcastic:

From where i was in thePOD it looked close to sold out, busier than the Odense game! Yet our official attendance is 13742. Is it no the end of the tax year soon LOL :whistling:

Certainly looked busier the East Stand seemed almost full, The Coop looked busy and the POD looked to be fuller also.

I never counted anyone in or out but in general the stadium looked and felt busier than usual.

I've said this before and it might not be popular with home fans but if you want to attract bigger crowds you aim to attract away fans, not home fans. Basically the home fans turn out anyway and reducing prices only attracts a small increase. Say from 4,000 to 4,500.

However if Dundee Utd have a support of 7,000 fans you have a much bigger market to aim at. Get 1,000 or 2,000 of them to travel to that match and you get bigger attendances.

I also think having a good away support at a match makes it a much better experience. The last two games have been great because there was two sets of supporters in the ground. A lot of that excitement is lost when, say, Hamilton Accies bring over 100 fans.

I don't go to away matches any more because its just not affordable but I would if clubs made it financially viable.

Honestly I think clubs have to look at away fans being much more important than they are at the moment.

I've said this before and it might not be popular with home fans but if you want to attract bigger crowds you aim to attract away fans, not home fans. Basically the home fans turn out anyway and reducing prices only attracts a small increase. Say from 4,000 to 4,500.

However if Dundee Utd have a support of 7,000 fans you have a much bigger market to aim at. Get 1,000 or 2,000 of them to travel to that match and you get bigger attendances.

I also think having a good away support at a match makes it a much better experience. The last two games have been great because there was two sets of supporters in the ground. A lot of that excitement is lost when, say, Hamilton Accies bring over 100 fans.

I don't go to away matches any more because its just not affordable but I would if clubs made it financially viable.

Honestly I think clubs have to look at away fans being much more important than they are at the moment.

Got to agree wi that. Most fans pick and choose the few away games they go to, and I know I'm generally persuaded by cheaper tickets. It's a fairly fine line between what away games I go to like.

What it proves is that if prices are reduced for a big game then more people will go.

Its a win-win for the club here, we're in the 1/4 finals which the club does not budget for and a replay at that. If we made only £1 profit from this game it would be a bonus for the coffers.

To make it £10 every week would most likely not result in the same numbers turning up and the club losing money. It would only work, financially, if all clubs charged £10. We've got to remain competative, even though its way overpriced.

I agree with you but it's not just the price of the ticket that puts me off going to away games. It's the price of travelling, either in the motor or on the train. I'm not expecting cheaper petrol but surely travel companies could be offered a 'travel partnership' from the SPL or SFA in return for cheaper train or bus tickets. Especially in these times where everyone is feeling the pinch.

Someone at Fir park is telling porkies with the official attendance figures :whistling: the East, Cooper and the POD stands were all about 90% full as was the South stand, given that the official capacity is approx 13,400 or so and they announced a crowd of just under 9,000 !!! I dont know where the other 4,000 fans were going to sit . Even allowing for all the hospitallity and corporate punters who dont go through the turnstiles it just does not seem correct.

But all that aside it was a cracking atmosphere at the game and in my opinion lowering the ticket prices will get more fans in the door, so heres hoping it will continue. Only downside was the embarassment of having to tell the United fans that there was not enough pies to go round, did they think that there would only be a few busloads of united fans down, the catering at FP is a joke :doh:

Yes very good crowd. However Radio Scotland said official crowd was 8,337 and that the number of Dundee Utd fans was 3,500. By my reckoning then our home support was only about 4,500 which is about our core rump. So the only reason for a big crowd was the size of the travelling away support brought down by Dundee Utd. dry.gif But this would perhaps have been much smaller had it been £20 to get in. My point is that the reduction in gate price to £10 did not seem to excite more locals to go.

there were 8,337 motherwell support there tonight and 3500 dundee united there

which all in makes 11.837

not bad at all