Mfc Facebook Page

EightSixteen

http://www.facebook....rwellfc?sk=info

Does anyone know who set this page up? I'd like to get in touch with them over the running of it.

Basically I see this is a huge missed opportunity for drumming up support for our most important matches such as the Semi Final this Saturday. I don't see why the owner of the page hasn't created "an event" for this weekend and invited all the 4,500+ members of the page to the match. :doh:

If anyone is unsure of Facebook's Events feature please have a look at this http://www.facebook....st=385671812130

If Motherwell are truely trying to attract new supporters to the club and get as many bums on seats as possible for match days then why aren't they taking advantage of the cheapest and fastest PR tool they already have at their disposal?!!

4,500+ invities could be sent within minutes creating loads of conversations between mates that were on the fence over attending. Those members can then suggest "the event" to their mates and any other supporters that aren't connected to the original Motherwell FC page and it goes on and on. There's plenty of opportuntity to sway those supporters that haven't yet decided wether or not they will settle of TV coverage or the true experience & atmosphere.

And further more than that, these event pages give you scope to comment on the event itself.

Can you imagine how much hype we could drum up with even a couple of thousand people commenting on the upcoming big day?!! It would be a great place to advertise for donations for the display also.

We've obviously missed the boat on this one but we should desperately get something in place for big matches in the future. (Fingers crossed -the 21/05/11)

All good points 816 and it's a nice personal touch (and timely reminder) when you get an event invite from an organisation, friend or even a band to a concert.

With Facebook now being so popular it should be second nature now to include it within your PR thinking - more so than even these forums as we saddo's have already read most of the crap around the club but many of your Facebook fans will also be the floaters you need to hook in some way.

• Like 1

I don't know a lot about Facebook but this does seem like an interesting feature. You should contact the marketing people at the club with your suggestion.

I've emailed mfc@motherwellfc.co.uk already mate asking for a contact within their PR team in regards to the FB page so i'll hopefully get a name of someone I can discuss it with further.

I'd guess it's 'flow that does it.

There are regular updates on it, I think they link most of the main website stories on it.

The event thing is a good idea though.

Is Flow a member here mate?

I'd appreciate her username so I can send her a wee message to ask if she is the responsible party and if so, draw her eyes to this thread.

All good points 816 and it's a nice personal touch (and timely reminder) when you get an event invite from an organisation, friend or even a band to a concert.

With Facebook now being so popular it should be second nature now to include it within your PR thinking - more so than even these forums as we saddo's have already read most of the crap around the club but many of your Facebook fans will also be the floaters you need to hook in some way.

Exactly mate, it's a great opportunity to cast our line and see what we can catch and as it's free to create an event we can honestly say we've nothing to lose.

Is Flow a member here mate?

I'd appreciate her username so I can send her a wee message to ask if she is the responsible party and if so, draw her eyes to this thread.

i think she deleted her account not along ago.

some set of diddies on her btw.

• Like 4

Flow's a he - he's Corporate Director of PR, Communications and Media.

I'd imagine given that it's a huge department it's just an oversight.

:whistling:

Opps! :doh:

I assumed it was a Florence I was loooking for...

i think she deleted her account not along ago.

Well I'll just await a response from MFC on the email I've already sent and take it from there.

I think given the magnitude of the game there will be very few who don't know about the game and that won't have been talking about it amongst friends etc.

I guess it is a nice personal touch to be sent an invite but the information on tickets etc were all made available very quickly - something that the club perhaps haven't been the best at doing in the past.

I reckon its pretty unlikely that sticking this out as an event on Facebook would make the blindest bit of difference. The club does regular updates from there and keeps everyone updated with whats going on with some wee bits of insight. Bearing in mind the the 4000 folk that have liked it will mainly be Motherwell fans in the first place, it'd just be spamming folk.

Social networking is a right good way of advertising stuff and keeping people up to date, but you've got to make sure you don't over-do it or folk will turn it off. Not really deserving of the :doh: smiley tbh.

If Motherwell started inviting me to games I know are on every week they would be deleted pretty sharpish. I get enough spam as it is. The current occasional update is ideal.

Eightsixteen, your enthusiasm is great but trying to be an uberfan will get peoples backs up as there's been people like you before.

You'd actually be amazed at the number of large corporations who don't properly utilise Social Media to engage their customers. It's a huge area for development currently but there's a big debate over the actual business value of it. It's certainly extremely good for building consumer confidence but a lot of companies refuse to take it seriously until they can get a tangible financial return.

MFC are actually very good at utilising Social Media I reckon, with the match updates on Twitter, all the latest site news being posted on both FB and Twitter. Compared to some of the other clubs in the league, we're streets ahead. I think you're right though and there's a lot more that could be done to generate interest from followers but it all depends how much money the club wants to spend on what is essentially an advertising stream that may not generate that much return. The big question is whether it could increase the number of bums on seats and what that would be worth to the club as a business?

Setting up events for ALL matches would be a great start though, allowing even those casual fans on Facebook to see when games are on. (As long as people aren't getting spammed silly with notifications).

• Like 1

I don't think games like a Semi Final need anyway posting or invite. Maybe a social event taking place in the Cooper or Centenary and such aye, but not a Semi Final. As if they don't know it's happening then I would worry why not - especially if they are Motherwell fans.

As for spamming, I thought they no longer emailed/messaged you when an invite happens. It now appears on the top right of you home page.

As for other clubs I got an invite to watch the Palma de Mallorca Derby between Atlético Baleares v Real Mallorca "b" via Facebook as I have Real Mallorca on my liked pages

Without knowing what exactly is involved in setting up the invitation I think there's some merit in the suggestion.

How much text can you put on it?

If it was limited and you only had enough space to list the kick off and date of the game then given its profile its probably not worth it.

But if however you were able to add on things like the phone number of the person to contact to get on one of the buses leaving FP, or got the details of the opening times of the Cooper, or even ticket prices for last minute ditherers then why not?

What works for one punter doesn't necessarily work for all. Some may prefer Facebook, some may only use Twitter, so I'd say if its free, if its going to hit a wider audience than the official may neccesarily hit, then why not?

Maybe a social event taking place in the Cooper or Centenary and such aye, but not a Semi Final. As if they don't know it's happening then I would worry why not - especially if they are Motherwell fans.

Aye, this is what it would be best used for in my opinion. For me, I use facebook pretty much every day, but I only log onto the official site when I'm actively looking for information. The majority of folk that are likely to go to games are going to know about them anyway, they know where fir park is and when the games are likely to be (3pm on Saturday, God's chosen time for football). Other events could almost certainly benefit from it.

As to what Fat Tony said, I can only agree that Motherwell are really well clued up as to what is useful. I certainly follow a wedge of Everton's stuff on social networking sites and given the scale of their operation in this respect, Motherwell are doing a great job. I love the 'behind the scenes' stuff on the Facebook in dressing rooms and that. I'm a total geek and love seeing wee bits like that.

I reckon its pretty unlikely that sticking this out as an event on Facebook would make the blindest bit of difference. The club does regular updates from there and keeps everyone updated with whats going on with some wee bits of insight. Bearing in mind the the 4000 folk that have liked it will mainly be Motherwell fans in the first place, it'd just be spamming folk.

Social networking is a right good way of advertising stuff and keeping people up to date, but you've got to make sure you don't over-do it or folk will turn it off. Not really deserving of the :doh: smiley tbh.

It might not make much difference but for some it might.

Essentially if it might create a difference (regardless the size of the result) and for something that would cost absolutely nothing more than 10mins manpower shouldn't wee do it anyway? The "facepalm" was for me and my assumption that Flow was a women but now others are saying Flow is acrually a women afterall -atm I don't even know if I stand corrected or not... but the facepalm was for my mistake and noone elses.

If Motherwell started inviting me to games I know are on every week they would be deleted pretty sharpish. I get enough spam as it is. The current occasional update is ideal.

Eightsixteen, your enthusiasm is great but trying to be an uberfan will get peoples backs up as there's been people like you before.

How would that be any different from you blocking any other user on FB who's post's you deem as shit.

At the end of the day we all know FB is subjective, some will think that one post is great whilst others will think it's borderline shite -every user has the option to block such posts if need be or even simply chose not to dwel on everything they have no interest in. Even then that would still just leave those that are interest in simply clicking the button so they show on the attendance list next to their mates and so they can comment on the event page themselves about how pumped they are for the big day and what the plans are for the display etc. When all is said and done, it's a free medium to exploit and the fickle fans will hold it against the club for such an attempt to further nurture the club's PR into a digital age.

As for being viewed as an enthusiastic uber fan -duely noted but I'm largely indifferent to how people view me or my posts. I've moderated enough forums in my time to thicken my skin so I'm happy to let continue to let any opinions (good or bad) bounce of me so if that's your opinion of me so far then fair play to you mate.

You'd actually be amazed at the number of large corporations who don't properly utilise Social Media to engage their customers. It's a huge area for development currently but there's a big debate over the actual business value of it. It's certainly extremely good for building consumer confidence but a lot of companies refuse to take it seriously until they can get a tangible financial return.

MFC are actually very good at utilising Social Media I reckon, with the match updates on Twitter, all the latest site news being posted on both FB and Twitter. Compared to some of the other clubs in the league, we're streets ahead. I think you're right though and there's a lot more that could be done to generate interest from followers but it all depends how much money the club wants to spend on what is essentially an advertising stream that may not generate that much return. The big question is whether it could increase the number of bums on seats and what that would be worth to the club as a business?

Setting up events for ALL matches would be a great start though, allowing even those casual fans on Facebook to see when games are on. (As long as people aren't getting spammed silly with notifications).

Great post mate. A lot more insightful that mine and it sounds like you're pretty well educated around the in's & out's of it all.

I personally feel creating events for ALL matches wouldn't be our best bet. I think when the next match is even more important that the last it will keep the attention & hype focused on an upward trend. So targeting the Quarter Finals onto the Semi's and then onto the Final would be best IMO as this ensure's that the event's on FB are infrequent and have a bit of hype around them as opposed to just "the next game."

However if they did do it for every game then I could appreciate that it would indeed help serve as a reminder for newer fans and would certainly appeal to the younger audience (school age) but may loose the attention of those that have seen one too many invites and even upset more fickle fans.

It's a fine balance to address and would be down to the responsible party to make a decision in the best interest of the fans & club... however I think that with the importance of Saturday's game & our attendance at Hampden occasions like these are an absolute no brainer.

Without knowing what exactly is involved in setting up the invitation I think there's some merit in the suggestion.

How much text can you put on it?

If it was limited and you only had enough space to list the kick off and date of the game then given its profile its probably not worth it.

But if however you were able to add on things like the phone number of the person to contact to get on one of the buses leaving FP, or got the details of the opening times of the Cooper, or even ticket prices for last minute ditherers then why not?

What works for one punter doesn't necessarily work for all. Some may prefer Facebook, some may only use Twitter, so I'd say if its free, if its going to hit a wider audience than the official may neccesarily hit, then why not?

http://www.facebook....102243523193311

Here's an example -pretty basic and obviously just a randon Saint's fan that's done this. In total he's invited 200+ friends and friends of friends -and all of these people can 'suggest' the same invite to other people they know and spread the word etc. If Motherwell have atleast 4000 people available in the network already they have a much larger scope of communication at their finger tips.

I could setup an event in no more than 10mins and invite my 200+ mates to it.

It will have little impact as unfortunately only 3 of them are well fans.

But the fact I can reach 200+ people at no cost to me whatsover on an incredibly popular media is something that should definetly be utilised on big occasions.

http://www.facebook....102243523193311

Here's an example -pretty basic and obviously just a randon Saint's fan that's done this. In total he's invited 200+ friends and friends of friends -and all of these people can 'suggest' the same invite to other people they know and spread the word etc. If Motherwell have atleast 4000 people available in the network already they have a much larger scope of communication at their finger tips.

I could setup an event in no more than 10mins and invite my 200+ mates to it.

It will have little impact as unfortunately only 3 of them are well fans.

But the fact I can reach 200+ people at no cost to me whatsover on an incredibly popular media is something that should definetly be utilised on big occasions.

The 3 'Well fans aren't the important thing though. It's the other 197+ that are important. They are the ones that might look at it and say "hey, my plans for Dat fell through but this looks interesting. Maybe i'll bomb along with 816 and see what this is like. I see it's only a tenner to get in this week etc etc etc....". Might be a good way of picking up some new fans. Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Like 1

The 3 'Well fans aren't the important thing though. It's the other 197+ that are important. They are the ones that might look at it and say "hey, my plans for Dat fell through but this looks interesting. Maybe i'll bomb along with 816 and see what this is like. I see it's only a tenner to get in this week etc etc etc....". Might be a good way of picking up some new fans. Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Unlike at school when you were the forth person to be passed a ginger bottle, we now actively look for and covet "floaters".

There is an event set up for this, don't know who set it up though.

For those that are interested here it is

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=139864566083015

I think that was set up by the official SFA Scottish cup Facebook account.

Even if they don't use this site to set up an event, they could surely get some more announcements & news stories to hype the game up?