Motherwell Vs Celtic: Cup Final

dazamfc

Thing is tho Jay and Andy will we get as much positive press this week due to all the goings on. This cup final is going to become the Neil Lennon show between now and next Sat with a smattering of Motherwell interest.

ESP if they fail to win the league. The main focus will be on the poor wee soul Lennon having won nothing and all the hardship he has had to endure???? I can see our part being but a bit part in the media circus surrounding that troglodyte. As you say this should be a complete party time for us but we will be under major scrutiny through no fault of our own.

Such a massive occasion and it will be overshadowed by the bile created by the perennial victims.

And? Who cares!?

It'll only be overshadowed if you let it be.

I don't read the newspapers (outwith the Metro!) so if they want to print page after page on Neil Lennon, I couldn't really care less - it's not going to overshadow Motherwell in the Scottish Cup final for me in the slightest!

Fair enough. I read the papers, I watch the news, I listen to the radio. I might be daft enough but everyone is different.

It will over shadow it for me and I care. It means as much to me Motherwell being in the Final and I personally crave a level playing field which I know will never occur in the West of Scotland and I know this week the empathy and sympathy will be directed towards Celtic and there manager and very little will be mentioned of the tremendous achievement of our club to make it there.

I want Motherwell to win the Scottish Cup as it would mean the world to our club but with the attention it's getting I feel this will be overshadowed and our club will not get the due focus and attention. Again Scottish football losing due to one person!

I don't give a fuck who we are playing.

If we win then of course it is going to be the greatest day in history. i will be fucking mental and will prolly go missing.

If we lose i will be fucking melted and I will be looking back on a Good season and what could have been..... and will prolly go missing

Who gives a fuck if we noise up lennon or if we do this or do that. The day is there to be enjoyed.

In 1991 I was 6 years and 10 months old, I fucking loved it. you have no idea how much I went on about it. Standing in Hampden was fucking amazing. I was at a RC school. It was me, 15 Celtic fans and 2 rangers fans (the rest were burds).

Ye want to have seen me swagger about the school. Davie Cooper was ma favourite player, and when we played fitba at playtime and that, fuck me it was all me thinking back to hampden. Fucking amazing.

Now I run about with about 10 h**s and 10 tims. Alone I stand, listening to there pish! and win lose or dra.... eh win or lose in ET or pens, there I will be, fucking pished singing motherwell songs from Saturday the 21st of may until tuesday.

20 years is far too fucking long for me to worry about what some arseholes will be doing, be it Lenny or some of us. I couldn't give a fuck.

I plan to enjoy myself.

Nae doubt tears will be shed. Be it in joy or heartbreak, I'll have my fun

• Like 1

Fair enough. I read the papers, I watch the news, I listen to the radio. I might be daft enough but everyone is different.

It will over shadow it for me and I care. It means as much to me Motherwell being in the Final and I personally crave a level playing field which I know will never occur in the West of Scotland and I know this week the empathy and sympathy will be directed towards Celtic and there manager and very little will be mentioned of the tremendous achievement of our club to make it there.

I want Motherwell to win the Scottish Cup as it would mean the world to our club but with the attention it's getting I feel this will be overshadowed and our club will not get the due focus and attention. Again Scottish football losing due to one person!

Oh aye, I know what you're saying - my point is though that I think far too many people are putting far too much throught into all that shite. Personally, I think if any 'Well fans find the final being overshadowed by anything else (and I include the Spanish Grand Prix in that, eh Panda!?) then it's because they've let it be. The cup final will be as great and memorable a day as you let it be - regardless of what happens elsewhere - and that includes the build up which seems to be more about folk proclaiming there's going to be anti-Lennon songs and Currant Buns littering the 'Well end!

Busta's spot on.

Love that "WE ARE ALL STUART MCCALL" Fantastic!! if we can only get a banner done for the final!! We may need to hold a vigil for him to get his hair cut but it'll be a small price to pay.....i'll bring the candles!!

As for Celtic and Lennon......really!!! who gives a f*ck!! best way to annoy them is to ignore them and Ignore Lennon.....attention seekers the lot of them!! We've got a Cup Final to win after all

WE ARE ALL......STUART MCCALL

I'll just read the Metro and Motherwell Times this week, that should make it easier.

That's what I do every week, apart fae the Metro, it works :thumbup:

Let's face it the very fact we're up against one of the scum means we'll be mere bit part players in whatever angle the meedja want to take, doesn't take away from my enjoyment cos I pay no attention to the fuckers. Difference in 1991 was 2 provincial teams facing each other with brothers managing the respective clubs, no meedja favourites and no hidden agendas, just a fantastic football occasion. Can't get that with either of the bigot bros involved but it will make victory all the sweeter.:yahoo:

Love that "WE ARE ALL STUART MCCALL" Fantastic!! if we can only get a banner done for the final!! We may need to hold a vigil for him to get his hair cut but it'll be a small price to pay.....i'll bring the candles!!

As for Celtic and Lennon......really!!! who gives a f*ck!! best way to annoy them is to ignore them and Ignore Lennon.....attention seekers the lot of them!! We've got a Cup Final to win after all

WE ARE ALL......STUART MCCALL

sv0wgo.jpg

Was too hungover to get out of bed earlier, so I just made that instead!

Based on this (obviously):

we-are-all-neil-lennon_design.png

Scott Brown's a pussie when it comes down to the real nitty gritty stuff. Show him a fair, 50/50 challenge and he'll shite out of it nine times out of ten. He always has done and always will do so if Jennings, Lasley or even Forbes who kicked the shit out of Brown at Fir Park in February is up for it then they can put this muppet right in his place.

Sadly though, Celtic have more than enough about them apart from Brown to win this game so the ball is firmly in their court as far as next Saturday's Cup Final goes. It's all about Celtic and what they do on the day. If they are right up for it then they win easily and the likes of Commons will rip us to shreds but if they are not right up for it then all we can do is hope against hope that some miracle may occur and we can take advantage. I wouldn't put 2p on it though...:whistling:

All this Motherwell have no chance ,Celtic will rip us tae shreds stuff is a superstitious thing isn't it MJC you just don't want to say anything positive in case you in someway put a hoodoo on us ,that's fine with me mate just you keep it up if thats your thing. . :lol:

Nice long interview with Craggs in the SoS today.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/football/Interview-Stephen-Craigan--.6768468.jp

Interview: Stephen Craigan - Dreaming of Cup glory for Motherwell

Craigan recalls Motherwell's 1991 cup-winning campaign and hopes hard graft will pay off with a win for history books

THERE was something deeply cathartic about discussing next Saturday's Scottish Cup final with Motherwell captain Stephen Craigan in the club's boardroom the other day, even as it forced us to confront the tragic. For it reminded us of football's power to bring people together and move them in the most humane way, after months when the game in this country has seemed a dumping ground for inhumanities to drive them apart. Inevitably, talk turned to the 1991 Scottish Cup final-winning team. And when it did, inevitably the 34-year-old turned to gaze at a huge photograph of those victorious players gleefully saluting supporters with their silverware spoils during an open-top bus parade. Transfixed for an instant, Craigan then articulated, while faltering and full of emotion, what all of us in the room were thinking about the beaming, boyish face of the late Phil O'Donnell seeming to fill far more than a corner of the frame.

"It is funny, when I used to see that picture, I used to see the cup and see all the boys celebrating but now the first thing I see when I look at it now is Phil. I think it is up somewhere else, I have seen it about... just to see his face again, he looks so young. You look at some of the guys in our team, who are so young and could have an opportunity, you know, his trademark name, Brave As A Lion, someone in our team could have an opportunity to...make a name for themselves like that."

O'Donnell acquired his trademark name from Ally McCoist's commentary of the midfielder's headed goal in the dramatic 4-3 extra-time success over Dundee United. The poignancy of the phrase for Craigan and all those at the Fir Park club can also be attributed to the fact it was written on the banner held up by Motherwell supporters to commemorate O'Donnell when the club played at Tynecastle in their first game following his death in the closing week of 2007. As the last person to speak to O'Donnell before he collapsed, Craigan must forever relive that day in his head; the fact he played with the midfielder for several years ramming home the pain of his terrible, untimely loss.

"It does, you know. We are looking at such a fresh-faced young man. I can't stop looking at that picture for some reason. When the cup final in 1991 is mentioned he is the first thing that comes into my mind. I know him probably better than the rest of the guys. Some of the guys in the team didn't know him so they don't have the same connection but for me to be able to think about him and talk about him like that it is nice. (Just the fact he is not here] is the reason he keeps coming back.

Twenty years is not a long time, so he would only have been 38, 39 now. It would be nice for me to emulate him, let's put it that way." Recent chats with Dougie Arnott, who led the line for the 1991 cup-winning team, have made Craigan keenly aware of the magical nature of memories that could be moulded were Motherwell to overcome Celtic in their first Hampden decider in the competition since their triumph two decades ago. Arnott is now bar manager of the club's Millennium Suite and doesn't seem to require much prompting to recall events in the last millennium that provided him with his one winners' medal in his career.

"I hadn't thought about it before I started talking to Dougie and he was actually getting excited talking about 1991," Craigan said. "He was telling me that they didn't know what they were letting themselves in for; had no idea. I thought 'we are still talking about this 20 years later'. That is the opportunity that we have, that in 2031 people could be saying 'remember winning the cup in 2011.

"We have a chance to make a great bit of history. We can feed off this for years, get another bit of success and do well'."

Arnott also alerted him to another aspect of the cup final experience. "I don't know whether I should say this but Dougie actually said to me: 'Have you got your bonus sorted out because we didn't realise until we went on the pitch we didn't'. I said to him, 'I hope we'll have ours sorted out before then'. Fortunately they got theirs."

Some would contend that every memorable moment Craigan experiences can be placed in the bonus category. Famously, the Glentoran product was initially ditched by Motherwell, and had to rebuild his career at a then lowly Partick Thistle. Brought back to Fir Park by Terry Butcher, his face didn't fit after his successor Mark McGhee left, as, for a brief and stormy first four months of the 2009-10 season, Jim Gannon took charge. Now, Craigan has carved out his place in Motherwell folklore as the Lanarkshire club's most-capped player with 52 appearance for Northern Ireland, and is about to become only the second player to lead them out at Hampden in a Scottish Cup final in 60 years, doing so after a rare goal set them up for an breeze of the 3-0 win over St Johnstone in the semi-final.

"I have always been a believer that the hard times make you the person you are. I left here at 22, 23 having played 20-odd games and went to Partick Thistle in the Second Division, and had no idea whether I was ever going to fulfil my ambition of playing in the top league and being a professional football player. It is moments like that when you have a little reality check, and is just straightens you up. You just keep going and I always have and kept just plodding away.

"These times are frustrating but I think in the long term they might have helped me. It gave me a little break - and I haven't had many breaks over five or six years in terms of summer football and playing internationals. Even though at the time I was desperate to play, when I look back now I think maybe it wasn't such a bad thing. I have never had any problems with managers not picking me. You just get on with your job and work a little bit harder.

"I haven't really had time to think about captaining the team in a final, but when it comes I'll enjoy it because the statistics would suggest it only happens at a club like Motherwell every 20 years, or even longer. It will be nice and I like to think that it is a little reward to myself. It is something money can't buy. But hard work can get you it, and dedication can get you it. It will be a nice moment - my family are over, my wife is Scottish so she will be there, the little one will probably be there, and loads of people back home will be thinking 'see that guy, he used to live round the corner from me'. I can think that I have made something of myself and have the opportunity to play in a cup final."

Can't help but feel McCall has called it wrong with his selections in the run up to the games. I understand WHY he has done it but I still feel it was the wrong thing to do especially with such a small squad. Feels like we have barely scored but let in a barrowload since the split. Still, time will tell. 'MON THE 'WELL!!

If McCall played a full strength team in the last two games and Murphy and Sutton both picked up bad knocks and we were forced to play Casagolda at some point during the cup game, would McCall be being praised for having done the right thing on the run up to the final?