John Philliben

Haggischomper

motherwell-john-philliben-377-official-players-collection-panini-92-football-trading-card-5762-p.jpg

Always felt bad for big Softie as he missed out on the big day 20 years ago. Even today, on the anniversary, I feel bad that he didn't get the medal he deserved - even more poignant given the story posted earlier where Psycho says he shouldn't have been in the squad at all due to injury. Wasn't one ever to be classed as silky was Softie but he was a stalwart guy for us, one of those guys who'll do a job for you whatever is asked to the best of his ability, even if the ability is limited. Every squad needs a Softie.

Wonder who will miss out on Saturday for us? Given the 5 subs rule there are gonna be a couple downhearted players for sure..

• Like 2

I spoke to Softy the day after it, he was gutted but he appreciated the supporters who all spoke to him to commiserate, and mentioned his wee dance after the semi.

Bobby Russell missed out too and Nick and I think O'Neil was only in the squad to keep the crowd going....which he did after 90 mins when my emotions were completely and utterly drained.

Totally agree. Probably the biggest downside for me too looking back. The big man had had a great season and he had played really well in the run up. I personally thought he deserved a start ahead of Paterson.

Absolutely brilliant guy and a total pro.

Here's to John Philliben

Aye it was tough for Softy and big Nick, who had both done plenty to help the team to reach the final. Only two subs back then, but even with five on Saturday we'll still have two or three who'll be gutted to miss out.

Seems so weird these days

So is watching football with no passback rule, the cup final was 100mph WITH no passback rule, god knows what it would have been like playing with the passback rule.

Having watched the final a right few times recently, United were a shower of disty bastards.