Referee Yesterday

GazzyB

Because of where I live I never really get a chance to see games, but after listening on the radio/seeing the score almost every week I come on here and read about how awful the referee was. On the rare occassion I do get to see games I think the referee has a good game, but still come on here and read about how shit the referee was.

Yesterday I thought that the ref had a great game. Lasley's early challenge was a definite red card (in my opinion). It was studs up, knee level and 100mph. The ref rightly booked him because (I think) he didn't want to 'ruin the occasion' (i.e. have a team down to 10 men in a cup final). The few that proceeded after that had to be yellow cards because of the nature of the challenges, which was understandable. When the big Swedish guy at the back handled the ball I'm not sure if it was a 2nd yellow. Probably in the rules of the game it was, but the ref opted not to book him because I think he thought it was ball to hand. Understandable that we all wanted him booked again, but I can understand why the ref never sent him off. We were also incredibly fortunate that he never saw Craigan on the deck palming the ball away, as he'd have been off straight away.

Either way I think the ref had a great game and was very fair for both teams.

Discuss.

I thought he was a bit too strict at times. Didn't seem to realise that the wet pitch makes tackles worse. As for the handball incidents I thought that baldy guy should've been sent off. Wasn't sure at the time about Craigans because I couldn't really see it but I'm guessing the ref didn't see it either.

Ball to hand? Why did he raise his hand when he knew the ball was flying over his head? No other reason than to stop the ball getting to what he thought was a Motherwell player beyond him. No question it should have been a second yellow.

Got to disagree with you here GazzyB. Ref could/should have sent 3 players off yesterday and none of them could have any complaints. I can see why he gave Lasley only a yellow but we'd have bern screaming for red if that tackle had been on one of our guys. Ref was trying to be non-controversial and it worked out to the detriment to the game. Plus, does Las make the tackle if the ref has already shown the red to the Celtic player for HIS earlier leg-breaker?

I said in the match thread I felt we got lucky with Cragg's handball but to attempt to defend Murray's decision as regards Majstorovic's handball is quite an eye-raiser.

At the time rightly or wrongly I couldn't help but think this was Celtic getting the fruits of their labours with referees over the course of the season. It has generally always been thus when it comes to key decisions in games of importance against the Old Firm where they seem to get the benefit of the doubt more often than not. But Celtic's never-ceasing campaigning against conspiracies and ill treatment has been played out to such an extent that any referee giving anything major against them knows that decision is going to be put under maximum scrutiny and that he'll be put under pressure in the intervening weeks and future games involving them. Do all referees have the stomach for that?

You can argue ofcourse that the handball decisions balanced themselves out however its important to remember the timeline of events and that the context of the game would already have been different had Celtic been down to 10 men by the time Craggs hands went a wandering.

• Like 1

The ref made some crazy decisions against both sides yesterday. Both the deliberate handballs should have been at least yellow cards. To fair to him and his and linesman their line of sight was blocked for the Craigan incident but the first one was just crazy. Some of the tackles could or should have been straight reds. Overall I would probably give the officials 5 out of 10 for their performance, in a Scottish Cup Final that is just not good enough.

Think overall he got a few decisons wrong. I feel the tackle on Sutton from the Swede should have been a straight red card, watched it back a few times last night and it was a real shocker. With the ref just giving him the yellow then I feel the hand ball should have seen him sent him. Lasleys tackle I feel was late/rash but no way a red card. It was his trailing leg that caught the boy, he didn't catch him with his leading foot, the tackle was a lunge but yellow in my view was fair. Our one bit of luck in the game was the Craigan hand ball which BBC highlights seemed to show that both the ref and linesman both had there views blocked which is why it wasn't spotted.

Majstorovic's challenge on Sutton could have been red. Lasley's challenge was equally dangerous - the only difference was his he didn't make as clean a contact (which is irrelevant from a rules perspective).

Thought mastorjvic could have got a straight red for the tackle. Not 100% sure the handball is a booking, depends on how the ref interprets it?

Lasleys looked worse at the game than on tv, ki's tackle was identical IMO, both bookings. Browns booking wasn't even an attempt to get the ball, he just jumped, maybe a harsh booking?

Craigan was a red card everyday of the week, but mastorjvic got away with it, so maybe he didn't see it? Maybe he shat it?