Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Wallace_MFC

Is my memory playing tricks on me.....

I think I remember a story a good few years ago about ole Gunnar solskjaer having trials at fir park when mcleish was in charge before solskjaer signed for man utd..... I also seem to remember there being pictures too....

Can anyone shed any light in this.... Or even better find the pics???

Pretty sure his name was on a fax of signing prospects sent to McLeish with a value that was beyond our budget. McLeish embelished the notion he could have signed for Motherwell...

I'm pretty sure that's how it went down.

Mind Hiddink applied for the Well job and was told they were looking for a manager with experience in British leagues. :ph34r:

Pretty sure the 'keeper was Pegguy Arphexad who went on to play for Leicester and Liverpool, and also the defender Bjorn Kvarme who also signed for Liverpool.

Pretty sure the 'keeper was Pegguy Arphexad who went on to play for Leicester and Liverpool, and also the defender Bjorn Kvarme who also signed for Liverpool.

Kvarme is right now that you mention it. The keeper I'm not so sure was among those I'm thinking of, think he was separate. Anyways

a case of if only x 4 or 5 :blink:

Saami Hyypia is another player that was linked to us but wasn't deemed good enough I believe.

My favourite was when Jari Litmanen was linked to sign for us after Harri Kaampman became manager.

Don't think Hyypia was one of them, he played wi' MyPa when they beat us and Kampman was manager of them, maybe that's the connection. Wild speculation about Littmanen but oh if only it were true. 8)

I was at the reserve game when Peggy was in goal, Marvin Andrews also played at centre half for us that night, both had a nightmare. Going off topic a bit but was also at the reserve game where David Ferrere played and scored two belters, two days later he scored the famous half time hatrick v Hibs, he looked a real player wonder what happened to him

Didn't know about Peggy Arphexad, but the goalie that was on the same fax as Solskjaer was Frode Grodas who ended up going to Chelsea. I believe Tore Andre Flo was also on the fax, with all 3 being unknown at the time and touted at 350,000 each, which was (rightly) deemed too much for us.

Obviously their careers would have ended up being very different, and they wouldn't have become the players they did, but saying that though...if Boyle had come in a few years earlier than he did, his revolution could have funded a period that was a helluva lot more interesting than Goram, Strong, Ready, Dow, Brannan and Spencer!

Incidentally the best "what if" or "you're an idiot" in the SPL has to go to Aberdeen, who had both Thierry Henry and Robert Pires on trial when they were 15, and deemed neither of them to be good enough.

Incidentally the best "what if" or "you're an idiot" in the SPL has to go to Aberdeen, who had both Thierry Henry and Robert Pires on trial when they were 15, and deemed neither of them to be good enough.

Were both not too expensive for Aberdeen too? I remember £800k for some reason.

Hyypia we defo linked to us after playing for Mypa. But I'm sure we werent prepared to pay what they were looking for such young inexperienced player who we thought wasn't good enough.

I always thought it was either Harri Ylonen or Hannu Tihinen that we were linked with?

Nah definitely St Mirren. Tom Hendrie was the manager at the time, and Ronaldinho had signed the deal to move from Brazil to Paris St. Germain, and wanted some playing time before that to get used to being in Europe.

There was some kind of passport scandal in Brazil at the time though, and the Brazilian FA were delaying all clearance, which caused them to miss the transfer window by about a day or something.