Bob Mchugh

Geedub

What an amazingly shite player. I haven't seen one shred of potential in this guy any time I've seen him play. He makes Ross Forbes look good. If we lose Higdon to a long term injury we are seriously fucked.

• Like 2

What an amazingly shite player. I haven't seen one shred of potential in this guy any time I've seen him play. He makes Ross Forbes look good. If we lose Higdon to a long term injury we are seriously fucked.

You'll need a bigger rod mate.

• Like 1

Geez peace.

You assume Higdon is gonna be any good for us. You assume Forbes is shite (he's not, he's one of the most technically gifted at the club). You assume McHugh is shite (he's not, he's barely had a chance in the first team and if you were there yesterday he wasn't shite).

And to wellfan09 - what have you seen of Gary Smith that makes you think he's better? We have seen very little of the two of them for any length of time so lets just all wheesht.

• Like 1

I'm not his biggest fan either but I think he did pretty well yesterday. I was actually pleasantly surprised.

He won a few headers against their centre back he had no right to win, his shot in the first have was a belter and the Keeper did well to push it over. In the second half he would have scored if Law had done the right thing and squared it. Plus he made a fantastic run which was given offside. Looked borderline from where we were sitting.

He had a better game than the golden boy Murphy that's for sure.

McCall should have hooked him after 70/80 mins though he looked out on his feet.

• Like 3

I think classing McHugh as amazingly shite is pretty harsh to be honest.

Without question there are still some serious doubts as to whether he'll cut the mustard in the longer term but at this stage I think that's pretty harsh. Maybe the time to offer a more considered analysis will be a few months further into the season.

In no way am I speaking about him in the same breath as Jamie Murphy in terms of ability but Murph, and perhaps David Clarkson before him, illustrate that it can be a pretty long road you have travel down before he get to the point where you getting the starts and sufficient game time you need to show what you have to offer.

I've some sympathy for McHugh in that the vast majority of his appearances can't have been more than 10-15 minutes tops and even last season when we was going to get a spell of that on loan at Thistle he ended up injuring his wrist.

Given that its been his first start in the SPL for how long, and that he might get another next week, I hope to see him learn from the starts he gets and we see some progression over the next few months. Only then when he's had those games will we get a better idea of whether he can cut it.

• Like 1

Whilst I wouldn't say he was shite, I'd say that we need a better back up striker than him if we're hoping to make the top six this season.

Agreed. Unless he's come on leaps and bounds over the pre-season, I don't think he's quite ready to be third choice striker yet. Think that the wrist injury hampering his loan spell has set him back a bit from where he could (should?) be at his age, but given time, I think he'll be pretty damn useful.

Don't think you can judge him just yet. His only other two league starts were against Celtic and Rangers during Gannon's spell. You have to give the boy a chance, calling him "amazingly shite" after his first start in two seasons is very fickle, no better than the Rangers fans wanting McCoist out....

Anyway judging from what I've seen, McHugh looks as if he could be decent but not prolific, he doesn't seem quick enough or strong enough to either be a speed merchant or a target man. He is hard working but the intelligence of his runs need to improve. But I'm willing to give him a run of games before declaring him the next McFadden or the next John Hendry.

As I've said all along, we need a striker regardless of whether Murphy stays or goes. It is too much of a mantle to ask McHugh or Smith to be a first choice. Any striker we've brought through in recent years, like McFadden, Clarkson or Murphy, had a fair number of starts behind them before they were considered "first choice". Not four (McHugh) and zero (Smith).

I know McCall has said he wants a defender, but surely you have to look at having Saunders on the bench and Page in the stand and see we need a striker.

To be honest I haven't seen anything that would fill me with despair either. i'm prepared to chill the fuck out and see what happens if the wee man gets a run in the team.

I hope he does the business and gets the support that might make the difference in the process. It's good when a player comes through and makes a go of it.

• Like 1