Gary Mcallister

nethertonwellfan

I'm watching Goals on Sunday just now and Gary McAllister is on it. Now I remember him as a Scotland player and as a player with clubs in the EPL (and the old First Division) and was always very impressed.

He left Motherwell when I was 3 so never had the pleasure of seeing him in the famous claret and amber so to the older ones on here, what are your memories? Did you think he would be as good as he was or was his success a surprise? Did you look at him when he was playing with us and say he is a class act? I'm looking for anything really thumbup.gif.

Gary Mac was certainly one of the best young players that I can remember watching at Fir Park (although I was only 14 myself when he left)... will never forget his goal in the '85 Scottish Cup Semi at Hampden :yahoo: Certainly showed as much potential as the likes of McClair, Faddy and Uncle Phil did for us at that sort of age.

If you need a laugh, this short bio is well worth a read :P

For a 17 year old the guy was class even with us and had the skill to make things happen. I can still remember the buzz that would go round the park when he was striding forward with the ball looking around to see who to pass it to as he either skipped past the opposition or they backed off him.

Gary Mac was certainly one of the best young players that I can remember watching at Fir Park (although I was only 14 myself when he left)... will never forget his goal in the '85 Scottish Cup Semi at Hampden :yahoo: Certainly showed as much potential as the likes of McClair, Faddy and Uncle Phil did for us at that sort of age.

If you need a laugh, this short bio is well worth a read :P

The photo of Gary celebrating that goal is hanging on the wall beside me! Needless to say, Gary was a favourite of mine - he always seemed to have time on the ball and scored some stunning free-kicks as I remember.

Adding some balance. Like most young players had some absolute mares as well - got a fair bit of stick for being a bit of a poseur. But the potential was there definitely. Remember being totally gutted at losing him and Mauchlen after the first game of the season back in the top flight.

The photo of Gary celebrating that goal is hanging on the wall beside me! Needless to say, Gary was a favourite of mine - he always seemed to have time on the ball and scored some stunning free-kicks as I remember.

Remember him as very comfortable on the ball, although as Graham was to Pettigrew, Ally Mauchlen was to Gary ..... the wee red head did all the dirty work.

I remember Gary Mac scoring a scorcher of a free against the Tims at the KS End ... think it was a cup-tie.

Canny really mind, it was ages ago. I remember him and Junior Burns getting a YTS gig at Fir Park at the same time cos you had to get your school leaving card signed by all your teachers and they both came round all the classes together. Gary was a really nice guy but not sure what happened to Junior.

JB moved to Forth Wanderers after making only 9 appearances for us (according to motherwellnet)... during which time his only goal was a winner at Ibrox, with Andy Ritchie netting the other.

Think i can remember him scoring two free kicks against partick thistle ?

I'm sure he did, at Fir Park. Smashing player for his age.

The game Junior Burns Scored at Ibrox was the 2-1 game that got John Greig sacked and Wallace left us to go back to Rangers. Junior Burns tapped in a cross from six yards and Ritchie scored a free kick if I recall correctly.

I'm sure he did, at Fir Park. Smashing player for his age.

The game Junior Burns Scored at Ibrox was the 2-1 game that got John Greig sacked and Wallace left us to go back to Rangers. Junior Burns tapped in a cross from six yards and Ritchie scored a free kick if I recall correctly.

was it not a pen?

the welcome party outside the ground after were not happy with the 75 happy well fans :cheers:

I was biased maybe cos Gary was in my class at Braidhurst and I wanted him to do well so much but when he made his debut down at Queen of the South in 1982 I turned to the guy next to me and said "He's the next Glenn Hoddle" wi' his shirt outside his shorts and lean frame he looked a bit like him at least. Didn't do too badly either when he earned his place in the side.

was it not a pen?

the welcome party outside the ground after were not happy with the 75 happy well fans :cheers:

So I was part of the Ibrox 75?, fuck these Albo wannabe pretenders :evilgrin:

I thought Greg resigned, disnae matter there were 500 rangers fans on edmiston drive going tonto after we beat them that day.

So I was part of the Ibrox 75?, fuck these Albo wannabe pretenders :evilgrin:

I thought Greg resigned, disnae matter there were 500 rangers fans on edmiston drive going tonto after we beat them that day.

And I was kicking fuck out of Carlisle train station cos I let the Hatcher brothers persuade me Carlisle v Chelsea (0-0 in case you're interested) was a more attractive option than another pumping at Greyskull

:dash2: