Motherwell Vs Hibernian Discussion Thread

David

Higdon was lazy, Craigan was bad, Murphy was lackluster, Law was good and Daley looks a player.

Are you kidding on??

Thought the big man played well today, scored one and created one.

Horrible way to go out. We played really well at times but missed far too many chances and too many balls across the face of goal went begging. Nicky Law was outstanding.

The less said about Murphys attempt at a penalty the better, I suppose at least he had the balls to step up and hit it(or tickle it).

Defensivley like a lot of people I am concerned. I dont think these two are capable of keeping a clean sheet, terrible mistake from Craggs for there equaliser.

Hibs clearly actaully have a decent looking team, Griffiths and O'Connor have the potential to be a right decent forward line. Think they will move in up through the league.

This had the potential to be a good week, 2 games in its now got the potential to be a fucking stinking week.

Utterly gutted. Thought we had won it when we were 2-1

up but the minute they drew level I felt we would be in bother. Hibs deserved at least a draw after the 90 (Randolph was outstanding tonight) but we threw everything at them in ET and looked good for a winner.

Chat of Bob's goal being onside gives me the boak. All too predictable.

I feel worse after this match than I did at 5pm on May 21st. I can't explain that at all.

Can't even raise a smile about Aberdeen. That is saying something. Gutted.

Mark Brown's revenge!

A mixed report card tonight. The energy and effort was much, much better tonight and I think that was the thing that was most disappointing on Saturday. You certainly can't blame the players for a lack of effort. However we still look pretty shaky at the back, still look a bit rattled and lacking some confidence and we are making far too many basic errors.

It was an entertaining match with lots of chances, Randolph saved us on numerous occasions, at the other end we squandered so many chances it was untrue. Law in particular let two excellent chances go that would probably have won it for us. And of course the goal that was chopped off in the final few minutes was debatable. I don't know if it was offside but it certainly wasn't obvious to me.

I think we have real problems in the centre of the park by which I mean central defence and midfield. We are far too open and teams are cutting through the middle of the formation far too often. Clancy is very much an amateur in central defence, Craigan had a bit of a nightmare and has no pace whatsoever, Jennings looks absolutely lost these days which only left Lasley who had a good game tonight. But when you are playing a 2-2 (2 central defenders, 2 central midfielders) in the middle and 3 of them are not at the races you've got a big problem. I think we really need to reorganize in that area of the park. Strictly speaking we played a 4-5-1 and Law was playing in the middle but he was going forward most of the time and was nowhere when the opposition attacked so really, defensively, the five in midfield wasn't giving us an extra man. If we are going to play with 5 in midfield we need a sitter behind the two in central midfielders rather than one in front.

There was also some bizarre goings on in the first half when Stevie Hammell was coming inside almost into the middle of the park and that lead to Hibs first goal, when Wotherspoon had all the room in the world down our left (due to Law not covering the gap), Craigan was pulled out of position into the gap and we were left with one defender in the box to defend the cross. I don't know if he was under instructions to go there but he seemed to do it quite a bit and it seemed out of the ordinary for Hammell to take up position there.

Finally Omar Daley looks a better option down the right than Humphrey. Not only was he going to the byline he was also tracking back really well and on a couple of occasions made really good defensive runs.

Disappointed to lose, but it was an improvement on Saturday and it was certainly exciting and worth the £15 but we need to get out of this rut of losing games and conceding goals.

Penalty shoot-outs are great.....when its not your team that's involved in them!

Hard to know what to make of it. Great game of football. Some fine displays. Good spirit shown by the players. Plenty of chances of created. Yet here we are - papped out.

Thought it was a slightly jittery start that we overcame and a bit like Saturday they scored a bit against the run of play. Roughly about the same time too. So it was pleasing to see the response that came this time and delighted for Higdon to get that monkey off his back at Fir Park. Should buy him a wee bit of time at least.

Second half Randolph came into his own on a few occasions but just when you thought we'd done enough we blow it. I wouldn't say their equaliser wasn't undeserved by any manner of means but to be about five minutes from seeing it out was a scunner.

Was the Jennings sub forced or tactical? Interesting if it was through choice as I thought we were the only team that looked likely to win in extra time.

And there were the penalties......

I don't buy into this its only the League Cup stuff. I want Motherwell to win it every season, or at least have our day in the sun at Hampden so it hurts that we're out. And will only be more so if it proves to be the case - as was being suggested on the radio as I came - that the goal disallowed for us wasn't actually offside.

Looking at the bigger picture I think if Saturday and tonight has shown anything that there isn't a huge gulf between much of the SPL outwith the top two. That's hardly news ofcourse but I think we'll see a bunching together of a lot of teams. I'd like to think we still have it within us to remain in the top half but nice as it is to be 3rd just now I can see it being the case that being 3rd will still prove to be not so very far ahead points wise of 7th or 8th place for much of the season.

We played decent stuff. Gutting to go out but pleased we got a reaction from every one of the players following Saturday.

Had the chances to win it (but so did Hibs I suppose) and I reckon we were the better team by a bit.

Special mention to the boo boys - I don't understand how you enjoy what you do and how you look to do it at every opportunity and I will never understand the kick you get from it. You obviously love it because you do it when there is absolutely no fucking justification. You then have the audacity to bounce up ande down like sad fuckin hypocrites when the target of your rage scores a goal. Have the courage of your convictions if you dislike the guy so much - if Higdon scores a goal have the decency to remain firmly rooted to your seat you sad c***s

Lets end on a positive though. Extra special mention to the lads down the bottom corner - absolutely fantastic tonight. Relentless and positive. Superb lads (and lasses)

• Like 3

that was an unbelievable 120 mins plus. said to my mate at end of 90 mins if we win this game people will be saying it's been one of the best games ever, lose it however & you'll never hear the end of how gash we were at the back, how Higdon never moves, how Murphy needs time on the bench etc, etc.

at the end of the day, gutted that we lost but at the same time got to say that this had the potential to have even more goals than the 6 each game but for some inspired goal-keeping by both keepers & some poor finishing by both teams.

defence was shaky but I still think we put a helluva lot into what was a cracking cup-tie.

As I said earlier, if we'd won on pens nobody would have been caring about the chances we gave away.

cannae be too hard on most of the team tonight cos they gave their all.

I'm a fan of the League Cup and I think it is our best chance of silverwear each season. Especially when we start off seeded. I said it at the time of the 3rd round draw but given some of the ties avsilable, Hibs were a horror pairing for us. St Mirren aside I would have taken ANY other non seeded team home or away than the game we got tonight.

Fingers crossed for a favourable Scottish Cup draw in December.

We played decent stuff. Gutting to go out but pleased we got a reaction from every one of the players following Saturday.

Had the chances to win it (but so did Hibs I suppose) and I reckon we were the better team by a bit.

Special mention to the boo boys - I don't understand how you enjoy what you do and how you look to do it at every opportunity and I will never understand the kick you get from it. You obviously love it because you do it when there is absolutely no fucking justification. You then have the audacity to bounce up ande down like sad fuckin hypocrites when the target of your rage scores a goal. Have the courage of your convictions if you dislike the guy so much - if Higdon scores a goal have the decency to remain firmly rooted to your seat you sad c***s

Lets end on a positive though. Extra special mention to the lads down the bottom corner - absolutely fantastic tonight. Relentless and positive. Superb lads (and lasses)

Great post. End of.

Could you imagine Higdon had missed his penalty? The rockets would have been too busy foaming at the mouth to pay attention for the rest of the shootout.

MotherwellFC Motherwell FC Gutted after tonight's result. Video evidence shows McHugh was clearly ONSIDE (by some way) and now confirmed he was the one flagged off :-(

Thought that at the time as well as he came from behind the defender

Got to say I didn't think it was offside and I was more or less in line with the assistant referee. He had a couple of other shockers as well.

Positives:

• We were better than Saturday, created chances and could have scored a few more.
  • Higdon showed some fans don't have a clue, big man was immense, goal an assist and stood up for the first pen.
  • Lasley after a few bad games was back to his best, outstanding tonight.
  • I actually thought the Humph played better until he was injured, gave Murray a torrid time in the 2nd half.
  • Law was good again but why can't the man shoot? He's such a good player until he gets in front of goal.
  • Daley looked handy.

Negatives

• Our defence is a fucking shambles. If it wasn't for Randolph they could have had 6 again at Fir Park.
  • Craigan just kick the ball the way you're facing
  • Murphy poor again, deserves a spell on the bench. Will McCall have the balls to do it?
  • Jennings get your fucking finger out. You're better than this, shite again tonight. Give Forbes his chance.
  • Craigan just kick the fucking ball the way you're facing!!!

McCall MUST make changes for Saturday.

Thought Lasley, Law and Randolph were oustanding tonight. Higdon, Hammell, Hately played well and Daley looks a vast improvement to what I've watched down the right hand side so far this season. We needed leaders tonight and I thought we got it in the form of Lasley and Hammell. Had the chances to win 2 games but so did Hibs.

Statistics will read another defeat tho and another soft 2 goals shipped. They looked dangerously every time they played the ball through the middle of our defence.Sooner Hutch is back the better! Found the substitutions and timing of them strange and so frustrated that we waste Murphy where he is being played yet give Higdon no support through the middle.

we were pish till we equalised but our two centre backs were a bombscare i'd put page in for clancey on saturday he's clearly not comfortable at centre back, that wee rat grithiths could easily had a hatrick due to their errors.

its was a decent enough performance in the end i liked the way we ended the match middle to front with murphy on the left and law in the middle and thats how i'd start vs broon's mob with hump in for daley. murph and law really should have buried those chances in extra time.

id give everyone passmarks apart from murphy, jenno and clancy who need to up their game.