Players Fear Losing Mccall

gilmour

Motherwell players fear losing Stuart McCall to English side, admits Steven Hammell

Oct 19 2011 By Craig Swan

stuart-mccall-601322887.jpg stuart mccall

STEVEN HAMMELL admitted high-flying Motherwell are terrified boss Stuart McCall will quit Fir Park for England.

The Well full-back and pals are riding on the crest of an SPL wave under the inspired guidance of Scotland's adopted Yorkshireman.

McCall sailed into Lanarkshire at the turn of the year to try to steady the ship after Craig Brown and Archie Knox's controversial switch to Aberdeen.

Since then McCall has reached a Scottish Cup Final, a League Cup semi-final - and is splitting the Old Firm in the title race.

With Bristol City's chase of Derek McInnes showing the path south is still open for SPL managers, Hammell fears his boss may be set to pull on the walking boots.

Speaking at the launch of Well's online TV channel that starts on Friday, Hammell said: "A few of us were talking the other day about Bristol City and Derek.

"It's part and parcel of doing well here that people might start thinking about our boss.

"It has happened before. The more success you have then bigger clubs have a look.

"But it's good if that happens because you're doing well.

"It's far better than the manager being under pressure because of poor results or the fans getting on the team's back. You'd take this situation any day.

"The boss has a bit of everything. He gets on well with all the lads, his coaching is good and everyone knows their job come kick-off.

"Tactically, he's excellent and we are well briefed on the opposition.

"He talks to us as a group mostly but occasionally it's one on one.

"Every day in training, in fact, he speaks to you about what he wants in games and everything is geared towards the performance on a Saturday or Sunday.

"If we need to watch DVD footage, good or bad points, from the previous game then he'll do that as well to highlight things.

"His man-management is great and we have a happy dressing room.

"Craig didn't leave because we were struggling or he was sacked. We were doing well at the time and I think that helped Stuart.

"Nonetheless, there were high expectations because Craig and Archie had us playing well. The gaffer has now added one or two players and we're his team now."

Hammell is qualified to discuss managerial talents having worked under nine managers during his two spells at Motherwell.

And he added: "Billy Davies gave me my debut but it was Alex McLeish who signed me from school when I was 15.

"I was here with Harri Kampmann at one stage, too. Since then there have been quite a few. Guys like Billy and Eric Black, who went down to England, and later Terry Butcher, Jim Gannon, Mark McGhee.

"At one stage John Philliben and Miodrag Krivokapic were in interim charge. I didn't work for Maurice Malpas because I was down south at that stage.

"All of them were excellent in their own way. Not a bad manager among them.

"Most have left because they did well. We're aware this can happen.

"If someone gets success here on a limited budget then other clubs take note.

"I've learned to enjoy it while we can. I've been here in the bad times and we couldn't buy a win so I don't look too far ahead.

"We've a good bunch of lads here who have done quite well for a few managers and, if we stay together, we will be fine.

"Hopefully Stuart and Kenny Black can go on to have another good few years here."

Hammell knows the fans are loving their lofty status but he maintains a short-term view and looks solely at Saturday's game against Kilmarnock.

He said: "The minute we start expecting to win then we have a problem.

"It is nice to be where we are in the table but we're not getting carried away.

"Motherwell were second in the 1990s but Scottish football has changed since then.

"We're happy where we are at the moment but won't finish there.

"If we can finish best of the rest we would be delighted."

"It is nice to be where we are in the table but we're not getting carried away.

"Motherwell were second in the 1990s but Scottish football has changed since then.

"We're happy where we are at the moment but won't finish there.

"If we can finish best of the rest we would be delighted."

:O

Cue the outrage...

If Stuart McCall is reading this, he would be well advised to look at the list of managers, who have left for supposed better things. With the exception of the first two, Billy Davies and Alex McLeish, they have found that the grass is not always greener elsewhere.

I think it was the extra few grand going into bank accounts that would be the biggest motivation tbh rather than moving on to bigger and better.

"I was here with Harri Kampmann at one stage, too. Since then there have been quite a few. Guys like Billy and Eric Black, who went down to England, and later Terry Butcher, Jim Gannon, Mark McGhee.

"At one stage John Philliben and Miodrag Krivokapic were in interim charge. I didn't work for Maurice Malpas because I was down south at that stage.

"All of them were excellent in their own way. Not a bad manager among them.

Really Stevie?! Is that what you really think is it?! :whistling:

I love tabloid headline writers:

"Motherwell players fear losing Stuart McCall to English side, admits Steven Hammell "

I doubt many of the players are walking about in a state of fear about losing McCall. I also doubt that Hammell has been bottling up this fear, telling no one (even in his close circle of of friends) until a Rancid reporter makes him crack under the pressure of severe interrogation and he eventually 'admits' that he does feel scared about it.

• Like 1

Whenever we start doing well you can almost guarantee three stories will appear in the press [1] how poor our crowds are [2] how critical our fans are and [3] linking our manager with every managers job that becomes vacant .And this story like most others is crap, Hammell is TERRIFIED we lose McCall TERRIFIED I tell ye. :laugh:

McInnes going to Bristol City is certainly a good move for him. Was a wee bit surprised that McCall's name wasn't mentioned for it. Perhaps a few down South are still a wee bit 'unsure' following his stint at Bradford. If he continues this Season in a similar way to which it started I'm sure he will get a few interesting job offers in the next summer break.

I'm struggling to find the direct quote in which STEVEN HAMMELL admitted high-flying Motherwell are terrified boss Stuart McCall will quit Fir Park for England.

We're doing well and currently splitting the OF is this the start if the negative and unsettling stories from the red tops in Scotland ?

Whenever we start doing well you can almost guarantee three stories will appear in the press [1] how poor our crowds are [2] how critical our fans are and [3] linking our manager with every managers job that becomes vacant .And this story like most others is crap, Hammell is TERRIFIED we lose McCall TERRIFIED I tell ye. :laugh:

All of which are discussed here long before any tabloid journo claims an exclusive. :thumbup:

At least Hammell backs up the 'Gannon's a good manager really' theory many Well fans hold dear :rolleyes:

All of which are discussed here long before any tabloid journo claims an exclusive. :thumbup:

At least Hammell backs up the 'Gannon's a good manager really' theory many Well fans hold dear :rolleyes:

TBF so did Craigan in that Q&A from Twitter someone linked to a couple of days ago. He just couldn't take any criticism or was unapproachable at times.