Goalscoring At Home

Kmcalpin

Its now becoming increasingly obvious that we have problems scoring goals at home. In the 12 league games so far we've scored 5 at home and 9 away from home. At home we've fired blanks on 3 occasions out of 6 but only twice away.

Some of us expressed concern at the start of the season that we were very short in the striking department and that appears to be costing us. The 4-5-1 formation is more suited to counterattacking and we have problems in breaking down doughty defences at home. Michael Higdon is ploughing a lone furrow. The problem is not so much mounting attacks but getting bodies into the opposition box and into the danger area. Time and again we throw men forward and they're queuing up to sling balls into the box for only one man - Michael Higdon. Aerial bombardment at set pieces is not an option either. All too often we can put teams under pressure but don't make opposition keepers work hard enough.

Yes, we're temporarily sitting 2nd but won't finish there and yes, a 6th place finish will be tremendous for us, but surely we can do something to rectify this rather obvious weakness?

There were a couple if ocassions yesterday we overplayed it, opting for another pass rather than hitting shots. Would like to see more long range shooting...... Unless your Steve Jennings! (that was some effort in the 2nd half)

Agree totally, we never worked the keeper enough and need to start having a go from outside the box. I also thought Kilie were guilty of the same yesterday.

Agree totally, we never worked the keeper enough and need to start having a go from outside the box. I also thought Kilie were guilty of the same yesterday.

Killie did have some shots but it would misleading to say they were shots 'at goal' given the distance between it's intended target and where the ball landed, quite like Jenno's attempt actually :rolleyes:

Murphy is being wasted that far wide and that far deep.

Seemed to me that the difference from say, the Inverness game, is that Law and Murphy have basically swapped positions. Law is now playing the role behind Higdon and Murphy is back out on the left.

Neither player is suited to that position.

It should also be mentioned that when teams play 5 across midfield away from home which makes it difficult for the home team. You either match up or risk losing the midfield battle by playing two up.

Maybe it's a coincidence but the three teams we beat at home this season played 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 whereas we haven't scored against Rangers or Kilmarnock when they played 5 across the middle.

I imagine McCall would have been banking on Saunders and Hutch getting a few goals from set pieces this season.

Murphy does a power of work dropping deep either to try and create or to cover midfielders that are out of position. To get more goals, Murphy needs to be told to stay up front and run in behind. Such a move would leave us more open defensively but a player of Murphy's ability should be hitting 15 a season by now.

Thing is you can look at Dunfermline. They went through a spell of scoring two goals and getting no points. At least when we score we tend to get the full benefit of it because our defence is generally secure. Our problem is at the other end but even in the five games we have ended up on 0, 2 were against the Old Firm, 2 we got a point from and there was that day against St Johnstone.

I don't know what the answer is though it is a concern. I don't think the 4-5-1 in itself is the problem. However when we are away Nicky Law seems to get closer to Higdon, And by that happening we tend to be able to spray it about in a more offensive area of the pitch and the performance comes from there.

It occurred to me on the way out the game on Saturday that I felt I hadn't seen us score many goals at Fir Park this season. Didn't realise it was 1 in 4!! With Celtic at Fir Park next it could very well be 1 in 5!! That's absolute pish....but then we're sitting SECOND in the league!!

Swings and roundabouts.