Motherwell Vs Dundee United Discussion Thread

David

That sums it up for me. The weather had little to do with the outcome. With a formation including a solitary striker we were always going to struggle. Despite all our second half pressure, United were the more dangerous team. The lack of strikers is beginning to cause us serious problems. Daley for Murphy or Murphy for Daley is irrelevant.

I'm also beginning to question the wisdom of Stephen Hughes. He's only signed until the end of the year and has yet to play a single minute of first team football.

It sometimes comes across as pedantic these comments given we are sitting clear in 3rd, but I agree with this post and did so with the sentiment from the beginning of the season.

A strikeforce of essentially Higdon and McHugh was never going to gain us many goals. Higdon IMHO had done as well as hoped for, but if I had a £ for every time he flicked on the ball to NOBODY or Humphrey crossed the ball to NOBODY. Maybe we have a good balance and that is what has got us to 3rd, but if we had a goalpoacher in the mould of Dougie Arnott or even Skippy we would have scored more than 6 goals in 8 home games - 3 of which came in the 1st game, so that makes it 3 in the last 7 home games :O Half as many home goals as Killie, Aberdeen and even Dunfermline.

We are doing exceptionally well with McCall and this is not a dig, but if I can see we are crying out for a goalscorer, that has to be our Focus in January not another midfielder.

It was up at Arbroath and we were winning 1 nil from a Townsley goal but were about to play into the wind which was affecting the game even more than on Saturday. It's the only time I've seen a ref call the game off due to the wind but I think it's something that needs seriously considered - Saturday's game ended up farcical and a lottery due to the conditions.

At Arbroath, I think a few of the local youngsters tried to rile up sections of our support including some of the older faces who turn out for away cup games. The police were completely taken by surprise by a large away support put out the ground early. Consequently they were there in huge numbers with dogs and horses for the midweek game with a small crowd.

It was a tough game to play regardless of the weather Saturday, yes conditions were awfull, so an attractive game for the pureist was never going to be the case. No stand out players Saturday, I did like the look of the start line up, but without the creativity needed in midfield it was always going to be a struggle, not sure if Hughes could of been the key, clearley his fitness levels are not up to speed as yet.

Hopefully Friday weather will be better, rain you can play against but gale force winds ruins any chance of good football.

Murphy on the bench, was a good idea and it will only benefit him as a player and Motherwell as a team, even if he would of started it would not of made one little bit of difference.

Higdon done well, along with Jennings, they suit the scruffy game were good old fashioned Non league kick and rush seemed to take over. It was clearly a battle out there of which no team came out on top.

0 - 0 was fair result.