The State Of The Pitch.

SuperSteelman

The pitch is a bloody disgrace. I would venture the following points:

1. Every pitch in the country is not 'in a state' at this time of year - ICT, Kilmarnock and Dundee Utd pitches are in really good nick just now.

2. The deterioration in the FP pitch did not happen overnight as the pitch and its maintenance (or lack of it) have been awful for a number of years now.

3. Moving is not the only solution to having a good pitch - get it dug up, sort out all the drainage problems, fix the undersoil heating, relay a quality surface. The get decent groundstaff in to maintain the bloody thing.

Yes it will cost money to remedy it but so what because it needs to be sorted. Our manager and team strengths are in playing a passing game and with a pitch like this its costing us dear as it takes the skill factor out of the game and teams we would normally pass off the park are able to come and get results they hardly deserve.

Totally agree. All the excuses people (not only the club) come up with don't cut the mustard.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im guessing the parks got really bad of late because we have been training on it under that bubble becaue the usual training park is frozen

I think the problem is the bubble itself blowing hot air over the park which is making the park very soft hence the reason it cuts up so easy.

Given the conditions over the last week, the ground staff done very well to get the game on at all but it just makes their job harder each week.

I think the problem is the bubble itself blowing hot air over the park which is making the park very soft hence the reason it cuts up so easy.

Given the conditions over the last week, the ground staff done very well to get the game on at all but it just makes their job harder each week.

thanks mate

no under soil heating could combat the snow we're getting, ours or any clubs anywhere else

we cant get anytime to work on the pitch with the balloon up and down all the time

before the balloon went up we had the pitch looking as good as it can be but then a mixture of the climate and the need to put up the balloon put paid to that :wallbash:

as for teh pitch deteriorating under the stewardship of the current groundsman i personally don't have any idea where that statement has come from, since the days of the Legendry Andy Russell and Jimmy Glenny the current groundsman has been the longest serving

Have faith people he does a power of work on the pitch but the conditions just aren't helping

Aye but what kind of work? JCB racing? Its still a disgrace. Three of the most northerly pitches in the SPL are in the coldest and arguably wettest part of the country yet they are not in the state our pitch is in.

When Stephen Hughes says there are better amateur pitches than ours, he's not wrong - I've seen some of them.

We are already awaiting to see what the size of the fine will be for the postponement of the Hearts match. The pitch has cost us money and may well do so again. Its also beginning to cost us valuable points in the SPL, which ultimately will mean costing us more money.

Jeez it was obvious in pre-season friendlies the pitch was crap - it looked as though there had been an oil slick in the penalty box at the South Stand end and there were bare patches all over the place. I commented on here about it at the time.

There are no excuses for the current condition of the Fir Park pitch so don't come on here pleading for patience. :P:P Its high time senior management at the club got this sorted out once and for all. :wallbash:

As I said further up the Accies pitch is in bad nick as well, thats a brand new pitch with brand new USH. Suggests its not as easy as some folk on here make out. End of the day we want the best pitch so that we can play better football and after the promises made last season feel a bit let down but anyone who suggests starting from scratch will end all our problems I feel could be deluded.

you can't have a dome up pumping hot air around the pitch with training sessions taking place under it and then expecting the pitch to be perfect?

It seems ridiculous to me that the players are training on it at all when it's in such a mess, let alone under a heated dome. I can imagine exactly where Andy Russell would have told Mark McGhee to stick that idea, regardless of how far away the nearest usable alternative training facilities were!

i'm not pleading for patience just to have a little faith :lol: , i'm just giving reasons as to why the pitch is in bad condition just now

it will be nice to hear your comments next season :)

The pitch is in bad condition just now for one reason and one reason only... money. If we had made the investment and done the work that was promised by Boyle last winter then we wouldn't find ourselves in the exact same farcical position we were in a year ago. Thats why people are short on patience and sceptical about promises made with regards to the pitch, and you can hardly blame them.

thanks mate

no under soil heating could combat the snow we're getting, ours or any clubs anywhere else

we cant get anytime to work on the pitch with the balloon up and down all the time

before the balloon went up we had the pitch looking as good as it can be but then a mixture of the climate and the need to put up the balloon put paid to that :huh:

as for teh pitch deteriorating under the stewardship of the current groundsman i personally don't have any idea where that statement has come from, since the days of the Legendry Andy Russell and Jimmy Glenny the current groundsman has been the longest serving

Have faith people he does a power of work on the pitch but the conditions just aren't helping

Whilst we've gathered you are either on the groundstaff or related to those who are... your reply has more holes in it than swiss cheese!

The undersoil heating installed in areas which have had heavier snow fall this week the length and breadth of Britain have coped admirably, why not ours? Please be reminded that it's not a trick question.

The pitch was looking 'as good as it can be'. Although panto season is now officially over - Oh! No it wasn't. Lush green grass, rolled flat perhaps with a slight camber to suit drainage? It's not a mirage I'm seeing - plenty of other clubs are achieving this.

A blind man running for his life will see the pitch has deteriorated under the current groundsman!!! I personally do have an idea where that statement has come from - from those in the know and qualified in the subject field. So the head groundsman has been the longest serving, why were the club attempting to recruit the groundstaff from Dalziel Park to replace the current staff? Well, they consistently managed certified grade 'A' surfaces on a reduced budget to that at the 'Ark...

Have faith? In what? The groundsman taking a pride in his work? Piss.

remember Dalziel park will have a lot more sunlight than you get at Fir Park, so that's conducive to a decent playing surface too.

However, I'd agree with most peoples posts on here, our pitch is an absolute state and should've been fixed long before now.

Use Chris Porters wages to pay for it!

Whilst we've gathered you are either on the groundstaff or related to those who are

both statements are correct but first and foremost i am a supporter

The pitch was looking 'as good as it can be'. Although panto season is now officially over - Oh! No it wasn't. Lush green grass, rolled flat perhaps with a slight camber to suit drainage? It's not a mirage I'm seeing - plenty of other clubs are achieving this.

the groundsman agrees that its a disaster just now but what can he do before the end of the season

A blind man running for his life will see the pitch has deteriorated under the current groundsman!!! I personally do have an idea where that statement has come from - from those in the know and qualified in the subject field. So the head groundsman has been the longest serving, why were the club attempting to recruit the groundstaff from Dalziel Park to replace the current staff? Well, they consistently managed certified grade 'A' surfaces on a reduced budget to that at the 'Ark...

does Dalziel have 4 stands around it? blocking the sun light?

Have faith? In what? The groundsman taking a pride in his work? Piss.

were you, or anyone here, a member at Hamilton golf course pre-2005?

was it in excellent condition? the best its ever been?

does Dalziel have 4 stands around it? blocking the sun light?

You as well as I do know what is and isn't constructed at Dalziel Park. Your argument leaks like a sieve. Has most stadia not have 4 stands around them?

Honest, you lot are doing a grand job. As it resembles a ploughed field, why don't you sow spuds? At least we'll have something to pick up at the end of the season, but, hey, at least a Golf course was good more than 4 years ago :)

Apart from banning training on the pitch, flitting to The Emirates or a buying a muckle steamroller (to go with oor muckle bubble), has anyone with any knowledge on the subject got any idea what a short term solution could be?

We've got Accies on Sat then Sellick the following Sun - then we're away twice before either Sellick again in the cup (should we manage to get past the buddies) on the 7th or 8th March or Dundee Utd on the 14th March.

Not a lot of room for manoeuvre

You as well as I do know what is and isn't constructed at Dalziel Park. Your argument leaks like a sieve. Has most stadia not have 4 stands around them?

Honest, you lot are doing a grand job. As it resembles a ploughed field, why don't you sow spuds? At least we'll have something to pick up at the end of the season, but, hey, at least a Golf course was good more than 4 years ago :)

i wasnt talking about any golf course, i was talking about HAMILTON, our groundsman was the course manager there and it was the best it has ever been look at the state of the riccarton course now since he joined the Claret and Amber (its been well documented), the man certainly knows what he's got to do to get us a great pitch for our European challenges!

look theres no point in arguing between us we all want whats best for OUR team we've just got to support the team(s) on and off the park

I was a season ticket holder before i landed the job so i know what all of yous are saying and wanting and i want my team to play on the best pitch possible but theres heehaw we can do till the end of the season, we don't want to re-turf bits and end up like a patchwork quilt

all i'm asking is don't judge our man till he's got a "pitch of his own" That he's built from the founds up

Can you's see where i'm coming from?

Mon The Well!

i wasnt talking about any golf course, i was talking about HAMILTON, our groundsman was the course manager there and it was the best it has ever been look at the state of the riccarton course now since he joined the Claret and Amber (its been well documented)

Which would be a fine recommendation, if Fir Park was a golf course. I can't imagine two much more different grass playing surfaces to look after than a golf course and a fitba' pitch, though. What's his record with those?

So it sounds like he has been doing the jobs for years...

all i'm asking is don't judge our man till he's got a "pitch of his own" That he's built from the founds up

Mon The Well!

Next it sounds like he has just become groundsman.

So how many poor pitches does it take then before he has a "pitch of his own"?