Tannoys

Albie

Posted a topic a while ago about the state of the public address system. While it has improved a bit in the East Stand I noticed the Hibs fans complaining on their forum about the inaudibility of the tannoy in the South stand. If last night was a more serious incident surely getting a message across is essential.

I also heard the generators at the root of last nights problem failed a safety test a while ago.

Putting a team on the park should be top of our priorities list.

It's been well publicised that the stadium is on it's last legs on a number of fronts and without selling the ground on which we stand we've no chance of generating the funds for new facilities - and that unfortunately means a move away as a consequence.

I'd love for us to stay - but I'm realistic enough to know that without a benefactor - we're moving.

Until that day the board will spend where they need to spend to maintain safety certificates etc and every pound of that detracts from our core reason for being here of the football side of the business.

Aye the place is falling to bits - but hey what do ya do?

Putting a team on the park should be top of our priorities list.

It's been well publicised that the stadium is on it's last legs on a number of fronts and without selling the ground on which we stand we've no chance of generating the funds for new facilities - and that unfortunately means a move away as a consequence.

I'd love for us to stay - but I'm realistic enough to know that without a benefactor - we're moving.

Until that day the board will spend where they need to spend to maintain safety certificates etc and every pound of that detracts from our core reason for being here of the football side of the business.

Aye the place is falling to bits - but hey what do ya do?

while i totally agree that generating enough income to keep a decent and winning team together on the park should be the priority, public saftey cannot be ignored. The PA system at Fir Park is a joke, you struggle to hear and make out any announcement. If Friday nights incident had been a serious one then there may have been problems. The board may be considering moving to a new ground, which i think is a great idea, but they need to be spending money meantime to make the ground safe for fans, so why not start with the PA system.

while i totally agree that generating enough income to keep a decent and winning team together on the park should be the priority, public saftey cannot be ignored. The PA system at Fir Park is a joke, you struggle to hear and make out any announcement. If Friday nights incident had been a serious one then there may have been problems. The board may be considering moving to a new ground, which i think is a great idea, but they need to be spending money meantime to make the ground safe for fans, so why not start with the PA system.

Because the cost would probably run into six figures and what we have must pass requirements.

I used to think that until in one of the numerous discussions we had on this - I think it was Niall that pointed out - a change to the system would need new cabling etc - and it would be a significant cost.

The club have spent money on repairing what they have but the improvement has been minimal.

I agree it's a poor system - I just don't see the club spending money on it unless they have to

messages were all quite clear in the Phil O'Donnell stand, but knowing the others are nothing better than a stiffled mumble at best

I would have thought that due to the nature of the incident and the obvious concerns leading to the decision to abandon match and evacuate the stadium

that the fully operational and functioning emergency PA system should have been getting used , if it wasn't? whats the point of having it.

with the Fire service fully turned out in Emergency mode, police controllers and officers on the ground a little bit edgey , stewards closing down some of the facilities and not allowing fans back to their seats , it wouldn't have taken much misinformation to create a bit of panic and escalate the situation.

If ever there was a situation where a clear concise announcements were required from the best PA system in the ground then that was it

Are Pink Floyd coming to Fir Park? Some rig you are planning on putting in!

If Pink Floyd were coming to Fir Park I'd burn ma season book and start supporting Airdrie.

Like I say - I reckoned in the past that it wouldn't be that expensive - but one of the guys who used to post on here who seemed to be in that game reckoned it would be pretty expensive to replace particularly the cabling.

I'm no expert, so I don't know to be honest

I think I'm right in saying tho that the system we are talking about here was upgraded in the past year. Aye I know I can't believe it either.

If Pink Floyd were coming to Fir Park I'd burn ma season book and start supporting Airdrie.

Like I say - I reckoned in the past that it wouldn't be that expensive - but one of the guys who used to post on here who seemed to be in that game reckoned it would be pretty expensive to replace particularly the cabling.

I'm no expert, so I don't know to be honest

I think I'm right in saying tho that the system we are talking about here was upgraded in the past year. Aye I know I can't believe it either.

I'm in that line myself and to be honest if somebody was to throw a bill on the table for 100K I'd be sure to tell them to take back what they have put in, pack it back into their truck and not try and pull a fast one like that again.

I only mention PF due to their habit of using 'innovative' sound on tours which of course means more expensive. If they were throwing on a gig in my back yard I'd close the windows and shut the curtains.

From what i remember, The Police tannoy is seperate from the main speakers.

Yeah I'm sure thats right. I dont know how many times in the past Ive been in the queue to get in the east stand and theres a tannoy attached to the cooper wall. Dunno how many times ive shat myself when its went off blazing.

messages were all quite clear in the Phil O'Donnell stand, but knowing the others are nothing better than a stiffled mumble at best

I would have thought that due to the nature of the incident and the obvious concerns leading to the decision to abandon match and evacuate the stadium

that the fully operational and functioning emergency PA system should have been getting used , if it wasn't? whats the point of having it.

with the Fire service fully turned out in Emergency mode, police controllers and officers on the ground a little bit edgey , stewards closing down some of the facilities and not allowing fans back to their seats , it wouldn't have taken much misinformation to create a bit of panic and escalate the situation.

If ever there was a situation where a clear concise announcements were required from the best PA system in the ground then that was it

Did any of that actually happen last Friday?

Did any of that actually happen last Friday?

yip quite a number of fans were held below decks n the Phil O'Donnell stand in the first half and the toilets were shutdown, even got a bit heated as clearly stewards never knew why they were restricting fans movements.

old news now but thanks for asking.