Stuart Mccall - A Year In The Job.

nethertonwellfan

McCall has done a great job thus far, that much can't be denied. He's got us sitting in 3rd place at the moment which is fantastic.

I'm sure that even he would admit that there's room for improvement though, and that our home form needs some attention.

Once he gets that sorted we'll be just fine. Lets hope this happens sooner rather than later though.

Results wise McCall has had an excellent season, the Scottish Cup run being the highlight and the replay home game against Utd being Well's best performance of the year for me. He has been able to get crucial results at crucial times and that can't all be down to luck

but

I have a feeling that there is a bit of McLeish's first season about McCall's year. Why do I say that? First of all he inherited a small but very decent squad of players, a squad of players that are above average in the SPL. He has a midfield player in Steve Jennings who I think we will look back in years to come and think, what a player he was (Paul Lambert springs to mind). He has been able to pick a very settled team and has for the most part played the same formation throughout (remember McLeish's first half season).

For me however there are some concerns. The home performances of late have been poor. We dodged a bullet with the Hibs game and I don't think I have really enjoyed a home game this season. I think of McGhee's first season as a comparison.

I don't get a sense that there is a long term plan. Forbes has been sidelined. Jamie Murphy is going backwards, McHugh has had little chance and Carswell has been pushed back by a midfield player that is only signed up to the NY. Higdon continues to knock balls down to nobody with little sign of that problem being addressed and up front Well are currently toothless.

I have been anticipating the slide for a little while and it has not yet materialised but I think that 2012 may be a must more challenging year for SM. I think 5th place could be Well's finishing position this season.

I appreciate these views will not be popular but I have tried to give some reasons as to my thoughts.

It is a results driven business however and results wise you can't argue with Well's years so 8/10 for 2011 (would have been higher if they had turned up against the OF this season).

• Like 1

Those are all good points star sail. The level of performances, particularly at home have been dreadful with very little entertainment value. We look very directionless going forward and carry little in the way of goal threat so that's an obvious concern. What's more, I don't think McCall's got much tactical know how about him and he struggles to change things if it's not going right. On the up side, I do believe that the players respect him and play for him as manager.

But like I said, this is a result's driven business and on that front, Stuart McCall has delivered more often than not in his year in charge. We are sitting third and deserve to be there because we have managed to pick up the points, especially on the road and despite our poor home displays, we tend to at the very least get a point from these games. Will we be able to continue to be able to do this? Only time will tell.