Stuart Mccall - A Year In The Job.

nethertonwellfan

It's been almost a year in the job since Stuart McCall took over hotseat at Fir Park and what a year it's been eh?

Highlights - Almost all of this season, a fantastic cup run and if we looked back at the Dundee thread there was alot of people predicting defeat but we came through it with flying colours. The victory against Celtic.

Lows - Not many really but I'll fling in the performances against the Old Firm minus the victory against Celtic.

Marks out of 10 - I will give him an 8 and if we beat Rangers on 2 January it will be changed to a 10.

Discuss...........

I think he's completely surpassed my hopes never mind expectations.

Given the listless team he took over from Gordon Young first and foremost he did well to prevent things from slipping further. Whilst there were some pretty harrowing away displays and heavy defeats in there securing a top half finish was at the least very satisfactory. That we had a great Scottish Cup run that the final aside (the memories of which have been obliterated to excited pre-match drinks with mates and that card display) took things up a good few notches.

The summer was handled pretty well too given the fears that two or three others were likely to join John Sutton on the way out and the signings of Nicky Law and Michael Higdon have proven to be very astute.

And ofcourse there's this season which when you think that some iffy home form is about the most we can really grumble about then that illustrates just how well things have gone.

I think "second chance" gaffers, if you can call them that are an awkward proposition. They can either do a Malpas, go somewhere now and continue on exactly the same path that saw them struggle in their first job, or like say a Paul Lambert type where they clearly demonstrate an ability to harness the experience of that first job and use it positively to ensure there isn't a repeat in their next job. McCall has certainly been the latter or those two types.

All I can say is keep up the good work!!

• Like 5

Amazed with how well things have gone under McCall. After being shafted by Broon and then taking a beating over the festive period, it was easy to be miserable about the way things were going. Then we had to endure that drab 0-0 at NDP and I was really struggling to motivate myself for the football. But the way McCall has handled things has been immense. Taking us into the top 6 and the first Scottish Cup final in my lifetime was something to be really proud of. Then to hold the core of that squad together over summer and start this campaign as we have has been fantastic. The club seems to be in a really good place right now and the managers attitude is a big part of that. His emails show he has the fans in mind and he seems to have high but realistic ambitions for Motherwell. That defeats to the old firm and shaky home form (which includes just one defeat to non-OF opposition) are our only real complaints is testament to the work McCall has done. More of the same please, starting tomorrow!

• Like 1

Yeah definately 9 out of 10.

If we'd won the cup 11 out of 10! Guy is doing a tremendous job and hoping he can keep it up to end of season, get us 3rd and a european tour again. If he does that will add another half point to that 9.

Got to assume if he does that then we might be looking for a new manager but it the price of success at our level.

Doing a cracking job. As previously mentioned we might be cashing in on McCall in the summer if a couple of Championship teams are looking for a manager at the same time. Certainly would wish him luck if he chose to down the road.. The chance of managing in Europe might tempt him to stay though. If we finish 3rd though it would be hard to get the same result or better next season.

So does he take that move down South IF it comes up or dows he stay for the final year of his contract? Not an easy choice.

8.5/10. Can't fault much other than a few perfomance against the OF and the cup final was a disappointment. Something that has impressed me though is his signings.

Law

Higdon

Jones

Gunning

Daley

Hughes

Clancy

In my opinion, with the exception of hughes (since hes just signed - but we know what he's capable of), they've all made some sort of positive impact on the team . Not a penny wasted in that department. Hopefully he can begin to bring through some of the younger lads too, carswell, lawless, etc as its important for us to be doing this.

This is one of those threads that we'll need to bookmark for next year when half the punters on here will be wantin his wee ginger mulleted heid on a stick,

You're probably right, but all managers live and die by their results and if we're six points adrift at the bottom of the table and haven't won a game in three months come this time next year then folk will naturally call for him to be sacked, and rightly so in my opinion. But that's a hypothetical situation at the moment.

I'll freely admit that I wanted him out after the 1-0 debacle against St.Mirren in February, because that on top of the 6-0 drubbing at Ibrox and the dire nature of our performances in all but the League Cup Semi and the Dundee Cup tie up until that point. And what's more I know I wasn't the only one either. But since then of course Stuart McCall has more than proved me and all of his doubters wrong as he has done an absolutley fantastic job to date. He's taken us to a Scottish Cup Final, finished in the top six, which even the most optimistic Motherwell fan wouldn't have believed possible when he took over and at this moment in time we are comfortably and deservedly sitting third in the SPL table.

In his year in charge, Stuart McCall's watch has brought us significantly more highs than lows and we just keep defying the odds and for that then our manager deserves all the credit and applause in the world from us. As long as he keeps us on the right track, grinding out results against the sides around us in the SPL then Stuart McCall will get a big thumbs up.

You're probably right, but all managers live and die by their results and if we're six points adrift at the bottom of the table and haven't won a game in three months come this time next year

if you were right with your predictions that's exactly the situation we would be in whistling.gif

Overall you can't argue with the league position or points tally. On the other hand I think we've carried a wee bit of luck at times, the standard of the opposition is not great and the level of home performances has been mediocre to say the least. I also think he's shown himself to be tactically inflexible at times.

At the end of the day though you'd probably rather win ugly than be at the wrong end of the table and McCall has done well to ensure our status under Brown with pretty limited resources.

I'd give him 7.5 out of 10. Although its immensely difficult to improve on the league position I would like to see a slightly higher standard of performance at Fir Park which I think is something that is achievable.

Although its immensely difficult to improve on the league position I would like to see a slightly higher standard of performance at Fir Park which I think is something that is achievable.

This!

If our home form was better we could be challenging.

Because of our away form, home fans think we're world beaters and expect too much.

If we can't beat Dunfermline at home on Wednesday there is something wrong at fir Park Stadium.

9/10.

Well and truly exceeded my expectations. This season in particular is where it all seems to have clicked. Granted we've carried some luck but we've got to be in the right place to get that bit of luck in front of goal and that's what we've been doing.

As has been pointed out, his signings have been shrewd considering how tight out budget is. Almost no room for error there and he's done very well.

I also think the way he conducts himself is fantastic. Very honest and respectful, there is no front with McCall. Exactly the type of man you'd want in charge when branding the club as 'Scotlands family club'.

Only downside was the cup final of course but thats just one of those things. I do however wonder how much the preparation played in things. We lost 20 odd goals in the 5 top 6 games and I wonder whether the chopping and changing unsettled us a bit. There is the chance we'd have picked up injuries to key players if he didnt though so it was a tough call for him. It's maybe a pointless discussion though, unless we have some parallel universe where McCall didn't make those changes we'll never know.

Don't want to end on a negative. McCall is in the process of guiding us to our best season for years. We're currently sitting on more points having played less games than McGhee's first season. Outstanding.

Done a great job in that he has taken a squad of average players and is getting the best out of them individually and as a team. Much in the same mould as Craig Brown in that the team is getting results but not very good to watch. Often accused of using the same tactics but with such a small squad his options are limited .Overall cant complain though keep up the good work Stuart.

So, would folk accept fantastic performances and sitting bottom of the league with hard luck after hard luck stories, or sitting clear in third place as McCall takes us forward? We were rudderless when he took over, when they two fooked off North I wonder how many would've said we'd be third a year on. Can't win every week,sometimes you get things like poor home results, the odd away defeat (only two and we're half-way through the season). Speak to Aberdeen fans if you think we're shite. Well done Stu and the lads.

• Like 3

Can't win every week,sometimes you get things like poor home results, the odd away defeat (only two and we're half-way through the season). Speak to Aberdeen fans if you think we're shite. Well done Stu and the lads.

no one disagrees with that.

however there's no point kidding on that we are playing well when we aren't.

no one disagrees with that.

however there's no point kidding on that we are playing well when we aren't.

Not many, if any, saying we are playing well. It's a results-driven business. We're getting the results therefore we are doing the business.