V Accies

Moe_Green

Semih took German nationality so he could get his move to England because he couldn't get a work permit otherwise. He has said he isn't sure who to play for as he was born in Germany but he has also played for the Turkish teams and wants to represent his family. It was in one of his interviews last week.

I don't exactly agree with that either, but he hasn't turned his back on anyone yet. Just used the rules to get round red tape blocking his move.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I couldn't care less about him, McGeady, Jim O'Brien or anybody else - it's their personal decision. To put things in another light though, I am a proud Scot and if moved to another country, for whatever reason, I would bring up any son I had there as Scottish and would be absolutely delighted if he was sufficiently talented to be picked to play for Scotland. I imagine many of the Scotland support would have similar feelings. Would those who are ready to boo McCarthy force their hypothetical son to play for his native land rather than Scotland?

My take on the McCarthy situation:

He is bringing the whole Old Firm/Celtic-Rangers-minded/tit-for-tat bigotted nonsense into a place where it has no business being: a Well-Accies match. We want to go along and support our team playing football against our local rivals for 90 minutes. It's a place where for 90 mins we should be able to escape from the Old Firm stupidity that pervades Scottish football. However, James McCarthy carries the Old Firm stupidity everywhere he goes, due to his highly-publicised decision to choose Ireland over Scotland. I don't know whether the high level of publicity surrounding it is his fault, but it is pretty much his number one defining characteristic in the eyes of most fans. I think that's the real reason why he is hated. Not because we are anti-Irish or any other kind of bigots, but because we hate the Old Firm, and to a certain extent he's bringing their unwelcome influence into our own local derby.

Would those who are ready to boo McCarthy force their hypothetical son to play for his native land rather than Scotland?

No, but then was James McCarthy brought up by Irish parents to feel Irish, or is he (more likely) just another product of the west of Scotland indentity crisis suffered by groups of fans of the Old Firm?

To be honest I couldn't care less about him, McGeady, Jim O'Brien or anybody else - it's their personal decision. To put things in another light though, I am a proud Scot and if moved to another country, for whatever reason, I would bring up any son I had there as Scottish and would be absolutely delighted if he was sufficiently talented to be picked to play for Scotland. I imagine many of the Scotland support would have similar feelings. Would those who are ready to boo McCarthy force their hypothetical son to play for his native land rather than Scotland?

Well my auld man was born in Germany (on British soil) and I was born in England but by god I support Scotland because I was brought up by the auld man to do so. My son was born in Scotland to Me, and to the missus who has an Irish Mother.... doesn't make him Irish! My son playing for Ireland is just like McCarthy doing so because he has a claim to the country.

This is why McCarthy is different from say Alexander or even Don Hutchison (if you watched Your on Sky Sports yesterday ye'll know what I mean). Alexander et co were brought up supporting Scotland.

McCarthy is also different from O'Brien and McLean because the latter didn't decide at 16 that they were not going to play for Scotland. Infact McLean played for Scotland Youths but was told there was no future for him and he needed football. Wrong reasons to play International football aye but still!

Don't even get me on the McGeady part! Who was also capped by Scotland!

Well my auld man was born in Germany (on British soil) and I was born in England but by god I support Scotland because I was brought up by the auld man to do so. My son was born in Scotland to Me, and to the missus who has an Irish Mother.... doesn't make him Irish! My son playing for Ireland is just like McCarthy doing so because he has a claim to the country.

This is why McCarthy is different from say Alexander or even Don Hutchison (if you watched Your on Sky Sports yesterday ye'll know what I mean). Alexander et co were brought up supporting Scotland.

McCarthy is also different from O'Brien and McLean because the latter didn't decide at 16 that they were not going to play for Scotland. Infact McLean played for Scotland Youths but was told there was no future for him and he needed football. Wrong reasons to play International football aye but still!

Don't even get me on the McGeady part! Who was also capped by Scotland!

didn't see it, what was said?

didn't see it, what was said?

Just said that it was a honour that he could pull on the Scotland Shirt because it was the thing that his father told him about when he was younger. It was not the money he made (£500 appearance) but being able to do something he promised his father.

Oh and his greatest moment was scoring at Wembley.

Just said that it was a honour that he could pull on the Scotland Shirt because it was the thing that his father told him about when he was younger. It was not the money he made (£500 appearance) but being able to do something he promised his father.

Oh and his greatest moment was scoring at Wembley.

Never actually knew whether or not Don Hutchison was brought up to support Scotland so that's good to hear!

Graham Alexander is Scotland through and through though.

Don't see why not... I still remember all the hype around Ally's Tartan Army for the '78 World Cup, and I was only 7 then...

Oh God, Oh God, Oh God, (rocks back and forth in chair) did you have to bring that up again. I was 21, I was one of the crowd at Hampden to wave them off. I still flush bright red whenever I think about it. The whole nation bought into that fiasco, dont you believe anyone who says otherwise. Thank God for Archie Gemmill's goal, it's thinking about that which gets me back on an even keel. Good old archie, aahh that's better.

My take on the McCarthy situation:

He is bringing the whole Old Firm/Celtic-Rangers-minded/tit-for-tat bigotted nonsense into a place where it has no business being: a Well-Accies match. We want to go along and support our team playing football against our local rivals for 90 minutes. It's a place where for 90 mins we should be able to escape from the Old Firm stupidity that pervades Scottish football. However, James McCarthy carries the Old Firm stupidity everywhere he goes, due to his highly-publicised decision to choose Ireland over Scotland. I don't know whether the high level of publicity surrounding it is his fault, but it is pretty much his number one defining characteristic in the eyes of most fans. I think that's the real reason why he is hated. Not because we are anti-Irish or any other kind of bigots, but because we hate the Old Firm, and to a certain extent he's bringing their unwelcome influence into our own local derby.

Thats one of the maddest posts I've ever read, he chose to play for the ROI not to highly publicise it.

He certainly does'nt bring anything to do with the old firm with him, and whilst I disagree with his decision to play for the ROI. It definatley allows the bigots in our support a chance to indulge in sectairian abuse with a veil of an excuse.

Thats one of the maddest posts I've ever read, he chose to play for the ROI not to highly publicise it.

He certainly does'nt bring anything to do with the old firm with him, and whilst I disagree with his decision to play for the ROI. It definatley allows the bigots in our support a chance to indulge in sectairian abuse with a veil of an excuse.

Totally agree.

I'm sure that any true Scotland supporter didn't even think about singing 'that song'. He's done nothing wrong. He might be a cock and a good, young footballer. However, the only thing we should have had against him today was that he is an Accies player.

It's the worst thing about the Scottish mentality. Quick to unfairly criticise and last to give deserved praise.

With every Motherwell v Accies game that passes, I find myself hating McCarthy less and less.

Orginally I hated him because I was under the impression that he was denying Scotland his talent, or at least his potential talent. But the more I see him the more I come to conclusion that he's by far the most over-rated player in the SPL, and find myself not particularly caring if he doesn't want to play for Scotland becauase, at the end of the day, he's just not that good.

It's a fair point fatcalf - they seem to be singling us out although from highlights on the telly Utd were pretty vocal and Rangers were way worse than 'well were.

The pointlessness of the whole thing astounds me though - big sections of the East Stand grown men included, standing up to abuse an overrated, ill advised wean is a bit hard for me to get my head round.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I can see Motherwell being the first club taken to task for 'racial' abuse by the football authorities. (Can I just say, before someone starts I'm not advocating that here - I'm just making the prediction)

How bizarre and ironic would that be?

Like in legal cases - although we all assure each other that it's not racial. It becomes difficult for the club to stand up at a hearing and convince the authorities that it isn't. Again not saying that it is - just pointing out that it might prove difficult to defend at a hearing.

True, predicted as much when this whole sectarian thing became nonsensical. Old Firm will get off scot free but they will find a way to make a diddy club a scapegoat to 'prove' their serious about taking action.

FWIW I don't give two fucks about traiterous baistards, widnae waste ma breath on abusing them, bit it's fitba' and fitba' fans abuse folk, would rather it wis McCarthy than Fizzy to be honest.

With every Motherwell v Accies game that passes, I find myself hating McCarthy less and less.

Orginally I hated him because I was under the impression that he was denying Scotland his talent, or at least his potential talent. But the more I see him the more I come to conclusion that he's by far the most over-rated player in the SPL, and find myself not particularly caring if he doesn't want to play for Scotland becauase, at the end of the day, he's just not that good.

That about sums it up for me also. He is way off being a superstar, average and no great loss to Scotland

I thought the abuse he got yesterday was pretty much non existent. There has been much worse abuse dished out to players for bad tackles etc over the years and relentless boo'ing of Neil "poor wee angel" Lennon etc that hasn't attracted any attention.

How white Scotsmen boo'ing a white Scotsman possibly be construed as racist is beyond me!!! But I'd rather we just didn't bother as the powers will have no qualms dragging Motherwells name through the mud as oppossed to taking on the Old Firm, regardless of it being a non-story or not.

Not that it's the same thing but didn't the Celtic fans boo George O'Boyle the Northern Irish St Johnstone players every touch back in the day? Why was that again? We all know why. And what was said? Nothing.

How can it be deemed racial abuse when Dundee Utd (nay Hibernians) fans give him stick over it, they've stronger Irish roots than the kid himself :P

Football world is fuckin' mad right enough.

Here are the lads own words from that NOW article............. says it all really :P

"What annoys me is that people don’t bother to understand. They say I’ve done the same thing as Aiden McGeady, but the difference is he always wanted to play for Ireland. I wanted to play for Scotland but they didn’t think I was good enough. Ireland did.