Rival Watch

roly

So with our lead having been whittled down a bit I'm sure we're all checking how our nearest rivals are getting along in the buisiness end of the season.

Very few of our games are going to be played at the same times as St. Johnstone and Dundee Utd. and no doubt we'll get the chance to see them on the telly during the run in.

So far thing aren't going too bad for us today but plenty time left.

'Mon the sheep and the Caley.

Fantastic results for us today, hopefully that will take a bit of the wind out of united's sails. A win tomorrow would be massive and I feel like we've almost always stepped up to the plate when we've needed to keep our hold on 3rd. Dunfermline, Hibs and Hearts at home spring to mind.

That wee bit of breathing space tomorrow evening would be excellent.

Was working at McDiarmid today and in the main, St Johnstone were terrible. Offered very little. Sandaza denied what looked like a stonewall penalty, but missed another couple of chances. Davidson being out is a big blow for them so good news for us.

Today might not have went how we wanted but Yesterdays results means we're still in a strong enough position.

Next SPL card sees us take on Celtic at home on the Sunday. Best we can hope for is a draw I think. Meanwhile Dundee Utd travel to Perth (draw please) so something has to give there. This is the early kick off on the Saturday on ESPN so gives us something to pass Saturday afternoon.

Suppose we can't quite rule out the Jambos too yet (1 point behind Utd.). Rangers visit them. A win for Rangers makes 3rd a big uphill battle for them.

Today might not have went how we wanted but Yesterdays results means we're still in a strong enough position.

Next SPL card sees us take on Celtic at home on the Sunday. Best we can hope for is a draw I think. Meanwhile Dundee Utd travel to Perth (draw please) so something has to give there. This is the early kick off on the Saturday on ESPN so gives us something to pass Saturday afternoon.

Suppose we can't quite rule out the Jambos too yet (1 point behind Utd.). Rangers visit them. A win for Rangers makes 3rd a big uphill battle for them.

The good news is that no matter what happens next weekend, nobody can catch us yet. We've still got a 5 point buffer and all 3 of our rivals can't win. Means we go into the St Johnstone game at least 2 points ahead of our closest rivals. It's all down to us and I reckon another 3 points, perhaps 4 might just be enough to see us through, albeit closer than we might like.

The hope is that if one team draws ahead of the chasing pack, one of the others pulls them back over the remaining weeks. And there's also the odd favour from the scum.

• 2 weeks later...

2 out of our 3 rivals picked up Zip today, so not bad at all.

A draw would have been preferred for St J v DDee Utd, but United deserved the 3 points and thinking about it, that was arguably their easiest fixture in the run in. If we can pick up 3 points or more in the next 2 fixtures - worse case scenario we will be 3 points ahead and DDee United will have us away and both of the Old Firm still to play....

GAME ON..

Taking anything from our game with Celtic tomorrow will be a bonus, but the truth is if we take somewhere in the region of seven points from our games against Hearts, United & the saints then we'll be fine for third place and the Champions League.

With two of the three games being at home it is really all in our own hands.

2 out of our 3 rivals picked up Zip today, so not bad at all.

Very much so. Didn't expect Hearts to lose today and although they can still overhaul us its looking increasingly unlikely.

St Johnstone too will be disappointed especially losing Sandaza early - its possible he may miss our game but that remains to be seen.

With their win against St.Johnstone today, Dundee United will secretly fancy themselves as favourites for third spot. I fully expect us to lose to Celtic tomorrow (I hope I’m wrong), coupled with United’s vastly superior GD they look to be in pole position. The only saving grace is that we still have to play them at Fir Park, which is now looking like a massive, massive game.

• Like 1