2012/13 Ins & Outs Thread

SCDave

Because talk like this excites the support, whips them into a frenzy and gets some of them believing that there is actually a chance that we could sign this fans favourite, Scotland internationalist who is way out of our wage bracket. Thus, they are more tempted to go out and buy tickets for what is a big match for the club and one that could bring in some much needed cash through gate money.

There's absolutely not even the most remotest of chances that James McFadden could or would sign for Motherwell now or any time in the foreseeable future, but some Motherwell fans have somehow managed to convince themselves that it could happen, despite all the evidence to say otherwise and so the club are just playing on that. In my opinion of course.

Couple of points I'd like to pick up.

Firstly McFadden won't put many if any on to the gate for this game if he did sign. The only folk that care about him would be the core Motherwell support who'll all be there regardless on Thursday. I can't think of a Motherwell fan I know that wouldn't go to a Motherwell Levante Europa League game but would turn up just to see McFadden maybe make a cameo appearance off the bench at some point.

Secondly how fucking retarted do you think some people are? They may be simple enough to believe this 'Faddy coming home' nonsense but why would they rush out and buy a ticket? They have up until the day of the game to buy one and if they're that desperate just to see McFadden then they can wait and see if he signs. McCall did say in the next day or so, why not wait till Monday? The idea that there's people out there who don't care about going to see Motherwell in a massive European game but will suddenly jump at the chance to go and see Faddy possibly play a small part is ridiculous.

It was, in my opinion of course a throwaway line. A 10 minute odd interview in which at some point McCall was asked a harmless question by a journalist if McFadden was a possibility. McCall didn't even bring it up as some on here seem to think and even said it was unlikely but he'd ask. He even said it in a ''the cheeky scamp is still kicking about I'll try and twist his arm and get him to pull the boots on again lol'' type way. It has been taken out of context and with social media being what it is today it spread quickly. I don't think there's much chance he's going to sign but I think people are reading too much into it what was said. It was a nothing line.

• Like 3

Next up, MJC murders Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy, because dreams are foolish, and shall never come true.

You all should be ashamed for thinking that perhaps, just perhaps, a talismanic ex player, who has been clubless for months, and has nowt to lose with another wee period at our houfing, embarrassing backwater club, may just sign a short term deal, in order to get himself a move to somewhere more upmarket.

I mean, playing here was obviously a bad move to begin with, and why, as a player who has any small fart of potential would you bother...?

• Like 2

Taking everything in context, yes it would be great to see him - or any other player of his stature sign for us- but in reality, it will only be because no one else is willing to take a chance on him that he signs and if this is the case then we should not expect to see the same player that we remember.

Having said that I hope he makes me. Eat my words and I"d like to thing SMcC has seen enough to believe the gamble is worth it :)

Like has been said, we should have kept this hush hush.

I think it's a bit of a ticket seller tbh. A lot of folk get carried away, especially when the press have it down as "McFadden set to be offered a deal" when actually McCall said he'll just sit down and talk to him. That conversation could last about 4 seconds, but the fact it's happening will shift a few more tickets. It shows "ambition".

• Like 1

I think it's a bit of a ticket seller tbh. A lot of folk get carried away, especially when the press have it down as "McFadden set to be offered a deal" when actually McCall said he'll just sit down and talk to him. That conversation could last about 4 seconds, but the fact it's happening will shift a few more tickets. It shows "ambition".

I agree that it's still very unlikely that McFadden will end up playing anywhere near Fir Park, but I really don't buy this argument.

Anyone who's going to buy a ticket because of James McFadden will do so after he signs. Telling the media you're going to have a wee chat with him some point over the weekend is not a ticket seller.

For the 'fans' who can only be arsed turning up for cup finals, European games or, presumably, to see James McFadden, showing a perceived tiny bit of ambition in speaking to a player is hardly going to be a big deal clincher.

Anyway, it's opportunism, not ambition.

• Like 1

I would be very suprised if Motherwell tried to put a spin on this. All the time I have supported them they have never been ones to talk about transfers unless they are very much a done deal. This makes me think he might be very closing to signing a deal with us.

I agree that it's still very unlikely that McFadden will end up playing anywhere near Fir Park, but I really don't buy this argument.

Anyone who's going to buy a ticket because of James McFadden will do so after he signs. Telling the media you're going to have a wee chat with him some point over the weekend is not a ticket seller.

For the 'fans' who can only be arsed turning up for cup finals, European games or, presumably, to see James McFadden, showing a tiny bit of ambition in speaking to a player is hardly going to be a big deal clincher.

Totally agree. The first game "IF" he signs will be packed, before that, it there won't be any difference at all

If it is an attempt to sell tickets then it's aimed at more than just those who would suddenly buy a ticket because we'd signed McFadden. We get very little newspaper coverage but this story wil be carried by most, if not all, papers today and will mention Thursday's game. During the week we'll be playing second fiddle to Celtic and then Hearts. Raising the profile of the game could attract some folk who fancy going to a European game and weren't even aware it was on. There will also be Motherwell supporters who were swithering about going due to costs or whatever reason and may now just be nudged into going by a bit of positive news.

I'll still be very surprised if he signs though.

Also Motherwell a few weeks back said any deal was dead so for them now to release this statement makes me think Faddy himself has came to Motherwell looking to sort out something.

If he is ever to play at the top level again he needs game time and at Motherwell if fit he would be the first name on the team sheet every week.

• Like 1

Couple of points I'd like to pick up.

Firstly McFadden won't put many if any on to the gate for this game if he did sign. The only folk that care about him would be the core Motherwell support who'll all be there regardless on Thursday. I can't think of a Motherwell fan I know that wouldn't go to a Motherwell Levante Europa League game but would turn up just to see McFadden maybe make a cameo appearance off the bench at some point.

Secondly how fucking retarted do you think some people are? They may be simple enough to believe this 'Faddy coming home' nonsense but why would they rush out and buy a ticket? They have up until the day of the game to buy one and if they're that desperate just to see McFadden then they can wait and see if he signs. McCall did say in the next day or so, why not wait till Monday? The idea that there's people out there who don't care about going to see Motherwell in a massive European game but will suddenly jump at the chance to go and see Faddy possibly play a small part is ridiculous.

Well I beg to differ on that one. Just look at some of the comments about McFadden playing against Everton in Hammell's testimonial for just one small example. More than half the chat before that game was about 'seeing Faddy playing for 'Well again' than the game or indeed Stevie Hammell himself.

Exactly! :thumup: It's a bit of marketing that the club are attempting in the hope that it increases the interest and thus the attendance for Thursday.

There is absolutely no way McFadden would sign for us in fact I reckon it's an impossibility, given that we are, as a club, skint.

I wonder how that 'conversation' would go;

Phone: Ring ring, ring ring

Faddy: Hello

McCall: Aw rite James it's Stuart McCall up at Motherwell, you fancy coming back to play for us again?

Faddy: What you mean in sombdy's testimonial or somethin?

McCall: Eh no, he he, I mean, actually sign for us.

Faddy: Takin the piss surely?

McCall: Eh no, no you see we need to shift more tickets for this Europa League match next Thursday so the Chief Exectutive got together with the PR team and read steelmenonline.co.uk and thought it would be a good idea to sign you. So they told me to sound you out. Crazy I know.

Faddy: Hahahahahah, awrite what wages would you offer?

McCall: Erm, well you know what you earned at Everton? Well about a fifth of that.

Faddy: Er nah yer awrite mate, I think I'll pass

McCall: You sure? Would you take ginger bottles?

Faddy: Phone me when it's Keith Lasley's testimonial, cheerio.

• Like 2

Well I beg to differ on that one. Just look at some of the comments about McFadden playing against Everton in Hammell's testimonial for just one small example. More than half the chat before that game was about 'seeing Faddy playing for 'Well again' than the game or indeed Stevie Hammell himself.

Yes and remind me how many Motherwell fans turned up for this? Put a lot of extra bums on seats did it? Erm, no.

Phone: Ring ring, ring ring

Faddy: Hello

McCall: Aw rite James it's Stuart McCall up at Motherwell, you fancy coming back to play for us again?

Faddy: What you mean in sombdy's testimonial or somethin?

McCall: Eh no, he he, I mean, actually sign for us.

Faddy: Takin the piss surely?

McCall: Eh no, no you see we need to shift more tickets for this Europa League match next Thursday so the Chief Exectutive got together with the PR team and read steelmenonline.co.uk and thought it would be a good idea to sign you. So they told me to sound you out. Crazy I know.

Faddy: Hahahahahah, awrite what wages would you offer?

McCall: Erm, well you know what you earned at Everton? Well about a fifth of that. Erm, well you know that £90 a week you're getting on the dole, we'll give you five times that and allow you back into the shop window with the goal of moving you in Janurary

Faddy: Sounds decent considering I haven't had a good offer yet, you'll need to talk to my agent about the finer points

FTFY

• Like 2

I'll tell you what, MJC, how about if McFadden signs for us you leave this forum for good?

I mean, if you're so sure that he won't put pen to paper then you'll have no issue with such a condition, eh?

And then you can take all his marbles.

Yes and remind me how many Motherwell fans turned up for this? Put a lot of extra bums on seats did it? Erm, no.

OK it was pre-season, on a Saturday and against more exciting opposition but Hammell was fortunate to have about 2000 more attending his game than Craigan did. He got a good crowd for a testimonial but we'll never know if McFadden affected it.