Cup Replay Moved

Suprawell

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All ticket?!?! That's a joke. Do they actually want people to go to this game?

"At the request of the police". I'd love to hear theire reasoning behind that.

Was the original game all ticket? No. And it only attracted 5,500. What are the chances of this game even approaching a sell out? Two. And we all know what they are.

I think the police in Paisley insisted that ALL St Mirren games are all ticket. This was ludicrous a couple of years ago when we drew Stenhousmuir in the league cup - MIDWEEK!

The logic I believe is that the crowd at the Love Street end were queing onto the main road & were a road hazard. The polis figured the ques would move quicker if people had a ticket rather than deal in cash.

For those moaning about a ticket - there will be plenty on sale on the night!

ETA: As for Falkirk - I cant understand that one as it's in the middle of nowhere!

Aye, we were. I think that if it's a reasonable request, teams should go along with it, but wouldn't say they were under any obligation. I don't think St. Mirren (or Aberdeen for that matter) can complain too much about it.

That was the thing with Aberdeen's demands when the issue arose the last time. They were beside themselves at the prospect at getting £80k off Sky - which is fair enough its a nice wee unexpected bonus. But they can't very well then criticise another team for trying to protect their own financial interests as we did when they are out for a fast buck themselves.

Aberdeen wanted to have their cake and eat it. And the same principal applies with St Mirren and Hearts this time. I read a snippet in the Metro this morning where the Saints chairman was saying if anyone should know about troubled financial times its Hearts and they should be more aware of the situation clubs are experiecing

But to me that's exactly what they are doing - looking after their own financial interests. The tone of Gilmour's comments is that Hearts are stopping money coming into Scottish football. Hearts aren't stopping anyone miss out on revenue bar the cash they would lose themselves if they had chosen to move their game on the Sunday.

With the current economic climate, do you realistically think either club would do anything to reduce their income? While the additional money is a bonus, they will be looking to maximise the income.

My point was that even if the game was a sell out with every ticket sold costing £15 the money from Sky is STILL more than what they'd get in ticket money. Therefore any ticket money should be considered a bonus for Motherwell and St Mirren who are both financially secure. The opportunity to make it more affordable to fans (the clubs lifeline) was there but they both chose not to take it.

Don't think you can please everybody in situations like this. So let's look on the positives

1. For those who can make it - £15/£10 - is still cheaper than most games.

2. For those who can't - like me - it's live on SKY.

3. Both clubs earn some much needed dosh.

4. Both clubs have the exciting prospect of a big match next round - and more dosh.

I agree it's a shame Sky couldn't have kept it at the Tuesday when many of you seemed to have made plans. But IMHO there's more pos than neg.

I think Hearts have every right to stick to the Saturday Match.

Look what happened when our tie was moved from Tuesday to the Thursday, a good number turned round and quite rightly were angry as they had arranged time off for Tuesday and couldn't make the game, some pointing the finger at the club taking the money over and not repecting the fans, then when Hearts turn round and say no to the change, folk turn round and say "ach thats a bit much, they should change it to the sunday" :lol: which would put there fans out.

If its such a problem for St Mirren to play both games in close proximity, they should've checked if Hearts would agree to the change BEFORE excepting the Sky TV deal. Simple really, so Fuck St Mirren, its there fault entirely!

The logic I believe is that the crowd at the Love Street end were queing onto the main road & were a road hazard. The polis figured the ques would move quicker if people had a ticket rather than deal in cash.

Not having a go at you mate (although the bit about the "crowd" was quite funny!) but that's bullshit.

It's not a supermarket that people are queuing up at, ie, everyone purchasing a variety of goods to differing values and paying by a variety of methods. It's people paying either £10 or £15, probably with either the right money or requiring £5 or £10 change! How much quicker is it really going to be if it's just tickets that they're ripping? Not much.

Yeah the police will tell us "Blah, blah, blah, in our experience etc etc". Well in my expereince the police are about as much use as a chocolate fire guard when it comes to making decisions based on common sense and logic.

If Hearts have sold corporate for the game and companies then decide to bodyswerve because its a Sunday it costs them a fortune. Tough one as the games are too close but St Mirren didn't know until Wednesday it was happening so they did not have a large enough window to arrange the change. I see arguments on both side.

As for Tuesday/Thursday - Thursday suits me better as I was having to miss something else on Tuesday. To be honest I have limited sympathy for folks who arranged to be available on the Tuesday because the replay Sky show is always on the Thursday and we are the only replay - it doesn't take a genius to work out there is a chance we'll be it.

Not having a go at you mate (although the bit about the "crowd" was quite funny!) but that's bullshit.

It's not a supermarket that people are queuing up at, ie, everyone purchasing a variety of goods to differing values and paying by a variety of methods. It's people paying either £10 or £15, probably with either the right money or requiring £5 or £10 change! How much quicker is it really going to be if it's just tickets that they're ripping? Not much.

Yeah the police will tell us "Blah, blah, blah, in our experience etc etc". Well in my expereince the police are about as much use as a chocolate fire guard when it comes to making decisions based on common sense and logic.

You were probably never at the home end at Love Street (On Love STREET) the distance between the turnstyles and the road was minimal - thus a potential hazard (even albeit for 15 minutes every 2nd Saturday) :woop:

Ironically enough, although I have an S.T., the last time I recall a cash gate was against Motherwell in the cup about 3 years back. They ran out of change so an £18 entry was cut to £15 at 2.55pm

The ques for entry at the away end, or, indeed at the new ground are not a problem though. It is just "polis policy" that ALL games at SMFC this season are all ticket.

Common sense should prevail next season though! (Wont hold my breath) :whistling:

If Hearts have sold corporate for the game and companies then decide to bodyswerve because its a Sunday it costs them a fortune. Tough one as the games are too close but St Mirren didn't know until Wednesday it was happening so they did not have a large enough window to arrange the change. I see arguments on both side.

As for Tuesday/Thursday - Thursday suits me better as I was having to miss something else on Tuesday. To be honest I have limited sympathy for folks who arranged to be available on the Tuesday because the replay Sky show is always on the Thursday and we are the only replay - it doesn't take a genius to work out there is a chance we'll be it.

You would only know that if you paid any attention to Sky, which I don't.

I take it the club want fans to go through to this one? They get a split of the gate dont they?

I turned up at the ticket office at 2.20 today to buy tickets for Thursday's game.

Guy in a hi-viz said "Here to pick up tickets"

I said "Yip here to get some tickets for the St. Mirren game"

Hi Viz says "Sorry they were only on sale up until 2.00 and wont be back on sale until Monday"

I says "Yer Jokin"

He says "Sorry just for folks picking up tickets for today"

I said "What a load of fuckin bollocks"

You would seriously think that they dont want people to buy tickets and go to this game.

The danger is now that - I don't go over for tickets because I cant be arsed - or cant get a flyer from work, or it's pishin it doon on Wed / Thurs and we decide "Stuff it we'll watch it on the telly"

There was no queue in the ticket office by the way - I could have walked through the door right into the office.

But Naw - we're not selling tickets - we're too busy handing free COMPS out!!

AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhh!!!! Motherwell!

I take it the club want fans to go through to this one? They get a split of the gate dont they?

I turned up at the ticket office at 2.20 today to buy tickets for Thursday's game.

Guy in a hi-viz said "Here to pick up tickets"

I said "Yip here to get some tickets for the St. Mirren game"

Hi Viz says "Sorry they were only on sale up until 2.00 and wont be back on sale until Monday"

I says "Yer Jokin"

He says "Sorry just for folks picking up tickets for today"

I said "What a load of fuckin bollocks"

You would seriously think that they dont want people to buy tickets and go to this game.

The danger is now that - I don't go over for tickets because I cant be arsed - or cant get a flyer from work, or it's pishin it doon on Wed / Thurs and we decide "Stuff it we'll watch it on the telly"

There was no queue in the ticket office by the way - I could have walked through the door right into the office.

But Naw - we're not selling tickets - we're too busy handing free COMPS out!!

AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhh!!!! Motherwell!

Yeah, broadly similar experience here myself. I got there about 5 minutes earlier than yourself, got to the front door to be told by a steward that it was only ticket pick-ups for the Hamilton game.

Queried that surely people in the queue should be honoured given it was only about 7 or 8 deep at that point but got the standard "police instruction" excuse.

Its a two prong issue - firstly I am getting increasingly weary of being at the mercy of police intervention at football. These guys get off SOOOO lightly in comparison to when I was a youth yet the aggrevation they cause these days for little reason. I remember +15,000 attendances at Fir Park against the Old Firm in the 1980's where you could buy tickets right up until kick-off.

Now you have them deciding when Ticket Offices can and cannot open, when days games can get played, what times games get played, whether its need to be all-ticket, how many police, vans and horses they are going to bring to sit idle in the town's streets - all at great cost to each club. We should just have told the SPL it was "police instructions" or "health and safety" reasons we've not got undersoil heating because nobody ever seems to be able to contest that reason whenever its used!

Secondly the club. Ideally if they knew there should have been a note on the website saying the cut-off point for selling tickets. But I have heard it said before they've tried to be flexible and get away with it as much as they could before the dreaded "police instruction". But they really should look at some information outside the ticket office. Surely cannot be overly expensive to have some LED scroller thing at least advising what the situation is BEFORE folk joining queues and have their time wasted?

Hugely disappointing to hear this, seems so easy to get things right yet we keep managing to get it so wrong and piss off so many of our own fans.

Get it sorted MFC.

Its a two prong issue - firstly I am getting increasingly weary of being at the mercy of police intervention at football. These guys get off SOOOO lightly in comparison to when I was a youth yet the aggrevation they cause these days for little reason. I remember +15,000 attendances at Fir Park against the Old Firm in the 1980's where you could buy tickets right up until kick-off.

Now you have them deciding when Ticket Offices can and cannot open, when days games can get played, what times games get played, whether its need to be all-ticket, how many police, vans and horses they are going to bring to sit idle in the town's streets - all at great cost to each club.

Couldn't agree more Andy. As we all know there's plenty of scope for improvement with the club's admin, although its not all bad. However the Police are exerting more and more control over MFC and football clubs in general. As you say this influence is spreading into almost every aspect of football administration. Its now gotten to the point where its totally disproportionate to any trouble caused. Now if they were to apply the same degree of control of pubs & clubs, they could make a vast difference to our quality of life. When such establishments could open, when they could hold functions, who could gain entry, how many patrons could queue up at the bar at any one time.

As I've said before the Police are quite happy to let MFC take the stick from our fans, and many of us are only too happy to dish that out sadly, for their actions & decisions. No sensible fan would suggest that the Police aren't allowed any say but its gotten to the point where they are causing problems for the ordinary fan and the club itself must be sick to the back teeth of it. Its bound to be affecting clubs' finances.

I'm sure there are many, many crimes the Police could more profitably spend their time and budgets on cracking down on - using mobiles in cars, drug abuse, violence, vandalism.

Couldn't agree more Andy. As we all know there's plenty of scope for improvement with the club's admin, although its not all bad. However the Police are exerting more and more control over MFC and football clubs in general. As you say this influence is spreading into almost every aspect of football administration. Its now gotten to the point where its totally disproportionate to any trouble caused. Now if they were to apply the same degree of control of pubs & clubs, they could make a vast difference to our quality of life. When such establishments could open, when they could hold functions, who could gain entry, how many patrons could queue up at the bar at any one time.

As I've said before the Police are quite happy to let MFC take the stick from our fans, and many of us are only too happy to dish that out sadly, for their actions & decisions. No sensible fan would suggest that the Police aren't allowed any say but its gotten to the point where they are causing problems for the ordinary fan and the club itself must be sick to the back teeth of it. Its bound to be affecting clubs' finances.

I'm sure there are many, many crimes the Police could more profitably spend their time and budgets on cracking down on - using mobiles in cars, drug abuse, violence, vandalism.

Good post!

Trust me - the Saints fans have the same problems. It was only after an uproar that the club agreed to sell us tickets AFTER Saturdays match. Not all Saints fans stay in Paisley just as not all Well fans stay in Mwell.

As we all know there's plenty of scope for improvement with the club's admin, although its not all bad. However the Police are exerting more and more control over MFC and football clubs in general. As you say this influence is spreading into almost every aspect of football administration. Its now gotten to the point where its totally disproportionate to any trouble caused. Now if they were to apply the same degree of control of pubs & clubs, they could make a vast difference to our quality of life. When such establishments could open, when they could hold functions, who could gain entry, how many patrons could queue up at the bar at any one time.

Superb post Dave, agree 100%.

Steady now. I nearly gave myself a hernia laughing at that!! Police prevent crime? I'll crack the funnies!

But aye, excellent post. Totally agree.