Oh Wullie Wullie !

biggayal0

Willie Pettigrew: The one thing I always guaranteed was goals. I scored a lot at Motherwell, United and Hearts. The fact I was blessed with pace also helped me stand out.

Was there not a game where he did a timed sprint to try and beat some record (over 70m?) before a game, possibly a friendly?

Top man The 'Grew. Best and most natural goal scorer I've ever seen at FP. Knew where the goal was by pure instinct and always believed shooting on sight before 'keepers could set themselves. His partnership with Bobby Graham was fantastic and if they were having their careers over again, we probably wouldn't be able to hold them.

I remember seeing his first game at FP when he came on as a second half sub. Caught offside so many times the fans demanded he be taken back off again!!! He was so green and playing on the shoulder of the last defender is never easy but you could see that when he worked that out he was going to be very good.

I'll never forget his winner against Cup holders Celtic in first round at FP in 1976 after we had been 0-2 down at halftime. BBC Commentator Alastair Alexander - "Pettigrew! Pettigrew! Oh a sensational goal!" Pure magic.

Not old enough to have any memories of Pettigrew's playing career, but I'll always remember him from owning the Lifestyle shop on High Blantyre Main Street around the mid-90's!

I mind going round once with one of da's old programmes from the 70's and getting him to sign his photo in it - tap man!

I agree, best Motherwell player in my lifetime. Although, having Peter Maranello and Bobby Graham in the same team must have helped.

There is no doubt in my mind that Wullie's natural talent for finding the net mixed with Bobby Graham's pin point passing skills made them two of the best players I've had the joy of watching at Fir Park.

As for Peter Marinello, what a winger, the guy had it all.

Caught offside so many times the fans demanded he be taken back off again!!! He was so green and playing on the shoulder of the last defender is never easy but you could see that when he worked that out he was going to be very good.

Just a shame Stuart Eilliot never worked it out.....

Never had the pleasure of seeing the man play, but my Granpa never shut up about him and Bobby Graham.

Lee

The Grew was in the Fir Park Club after the game on Saturday. nothing is a problem to him. When one of the regulars asked for an autograph, Wullie P actually thanked them for asking him. A legend.

Willie was actually in the Fir park club before the game (naw it's no a rangers pub) and it was quite bizzare meeting him in there on Saturday. I met Bobby Graham walking up to the ground on Saturday as I had my 2 girls with me so went early to show them around, anyway had a chat with Bobby as I know him quite well he went over to stadium and I went in the club. Willie, his boy and mates were sitting at the next table talking about all things Motherwell, I didn't want to intrude so when I got a chance said hello and mentioned to Willie that i had been talking to Bobby and he was away over to the ground for a meal, he replied aye Bobby over there and I'm in here, to say i was confused about that remark is right but didn't ask the legend anymore, I did however find it quite funny he was in the club and not over with the former players as, he after all did score the winning goal v St Mirren all they years ago.

Well I met Bobby again toight and mentioned to him Willie was in the FPC before the game and I was wondering why he was not over in the stadium mealing it up. Bobby said Willie being Willie has not joined the former players club and just does his own thing. I think maybe Willie enjoys the company of the fans. A true motherwell legend, and if he is in the club tomorrow I will buy him a beer.