Now That Rangers Have Been Booted To F*ck

HanoMaSano

With 6 other SPL clubs committing to a "No" vote, with our own club likely to join them once the ballot is counted, there is pretty much no chance at all of 'The Rangers' competing in the SPL next season.

The clubs have done their part, listened to the fans wishes and acted accordingly.

It now comes down to us. Fans of the diddy clubs have to stand up and be counted. There will be a drop off in revenue to be sure. But we can go a long way to bridging that gap, and move Scottish Football in general and Motherwell FC in particular to be stronger without the blue bigots.

No-one knows what the drop in TV/commercial income would be, but the club has a pretty concrete figure of £275K that will be lost off of gate receipts, equating to roughly an extra 650 PATG punters needed at every home game to bridge that shortfall. That is something we can try and do something about.

I'm sure we will all know lapsed fans, part time supporters. People with a passing interest that could be encouraged along. People who have fell out of love with, or developed apathy for Scottish football over the years. Now is the time to get these guys (back) into the game. The tides are changing!

The clubs of the SPL have shown themselves not to be the pushovers we may have thought. Motherwell FC have given our own fans a voice to say "We will not turn a blind eye to cheating!".

We need to do everything we can to ensure that it is not Motherwell and the fellow wee clubs that suffer because of one clubs failure to play by the rules. Get friends, family, colleagues, to come along and try out football at Fir Park. If you've drifted off for whatever reason now is the time to come back. If you normally make 5-6 games a season, try and make 9-10. Don't normally venture into the 'Well shop? then get yourself the cracking new blue kit. Swithering over a 'Well Society membership? get yourself signed up!

Maybe we all can't do all of the above, but if we all chip in and do what we can we can turn this into a real success story for Motherwell and for Scottish Football.

PS. sorry for the rant/ramble!

• Like 1

Agreed.

I was all over the 'chucking it' chat a few months/weeks ago and genuinely meant it. However, I am very happy with the way our club has handled the situation (eventually) and I'm now very happy with the way the other SPL clubs have stood up to Rangers.

I had discussions over e-mail a couple of weeks ago with the club regarding cancelling my Well Society membership if the inevitable (as I saw it at the time) happened. I also held off renewing my season ticket when that would normally have been done as soon as renewals were being accepted.

I'm now proud to be a fully paid up member of the Well Society and I'll be renewing my season ticket online this evening.

If ever there was a season for the lapsed fans you speak of to get back involved at Fir Park, this is it - a brave new dawn, a fantastic atmosphere at games, Champions League football, James McFadden back in a 'Well shirt perhaps? whistling.gif

And for those who had been considering joining the Well Society - if ever there was a symbol of its potential and importance, it was the club allowing its members the decision on the vote when very few clubs were still to announce their 'no' stance.

Bring on Ayr Away.

What we will have is the usual 4,000 fans supporting the team throughout the season .Cant see the events of the past few months changing that ,lets face it the crowds didn't go up when we were in administration ,or the season after we won the cup etc etc etc.. Tough times ahead for us and others .

What we will have is the usual 4,000 fans supporting the team throughout the season .Cant see the events of the past few months changing that ,lets face it the crowds didn't go up when we were in administration ,or the season after we won the cup etc etc etc.. Tough times ahead for us and others .

The thread isn't claiming that the events of the past few months will result in crowds going up, it's encouraging people to try and get folk along in a bid to get crowds going up.

It has to be remembered that in these tough financial times there are a lot of people who simply can't pay twenty quid for ninety minutes of SPL football every two weeks, and they certainly can't afford the price of a season ticket.

Couple that with the fact that a lot of people now work weekends as well and the truth is that we'll more than likely see a negligible rise in attendance this season, if any at all.

Totally agree. There is a rally call on Pie and Bovril echoing a similar sentiment to the fans of all SPL clubs. Except Celtic, naturally. It would be really disappointing for the Motherwell board to have allowed the fans to make their decision in which way to vote, only for the same apathy to be shown at the turnstiles. It's always great to see Fir Park with a healthy crowd in it, and the financial uncertainty means we need more bodies through the door than ever before. Not just at the big games!

I don't think anyone is expecting us to suddenly see 8,000 / 9,000 average attendance at Fir Park but the point is to try and help if you can by taking a positive approach rather than accept nothing will ever change without even trying. An increase on the average attendance of 200 would pay a squad players wage so every little helps surely?

Season ticket holder ,Well society member , bought the new strip and as a ordinary working class guy i cant do much more and I'm sure that's the same for many. Lets get some of these bastards that turn up at cup finals and big euro nights but do very little else to support the club tae get there arses along to fir park on a more regular basis. That's where the extra cash will be generated most fans are already stretched to there limit.

Seriously though, do we honestly believe we'll see a noticeable difference in the number of people who show up regularly every week?

If everyone adopts your attitude then no...

If people try to portray the club in a positive light and encourage (force :ph34r: ) friends / family along then why can't we see a modest increase?

• Like 1

Seriously though, do we honestly believe we'll see a noticeable difference in the number of people who show up regularly every week?

Not next season, no. But if a few of the folk who don't go regularly or who have drifted away are encouraged by friends or family to go along a bit more often and the SPL starts to get a bit more enjoyable and competative without the absolute cancer that is Rangers (I no longer buy the Division One/Three followed by a return to the SPL line, I reckon they're gone completely) then there's no reason why that can't begin to grow little by little each season.

But to answer your question, no - I don't expect a noticeable difference in the number of fans every week next season.

If everyone adopts your attitude then no...

Don't mistake my posts as being negative, as they aren't. I'd certainly encourage anyone who has the means to do so to get along to Fir Park whenever they can.

I just don't think we'll see an increase in the average numbers we attract on a week in and week out basis. We haven't managed it up until now, and I don't see that changing.

As I said, with the current financial climate in the UK, and especially in the Lanarkshire area, there just aren't the people with a spare twenty quid to go to a game (more if they have children).

I think the core support we have is basically the support we have. It'll fluctuate when there's a "special attraction" such as a cup final, European night or whatever, but the numbers we've been getting for a while are pretty much it as far as I can see.

I'd love to be wrong though.

Season ticket holder ,Well society member , bought the new strip and as a ordinary working class guy i cant do much more and I'm sure that's the same for many. Lets get some of these bastards that turn up at cup finals and big euro nights but do very little else to support the club tae get there arses along to fir park on a more regular basis. That's where the extra cash will be generated most fans are already stretched to there limit.

Obviously people can't be expected to do anything over and above what they can afford. If willing fans have the money to do something extra then hopefully they do.

Encouraging one of your mates to come along to a game costs nothing (other than a bit of an embarrassment when we play sh!te and they don't come back).

Even in that scenario it could be an extra £20 in the biscuit tin.

Maybe not, but if we don't actively try we'll never know.

If there ever was a time to try and get new/returning fans it's now!

To be honest, I'll stick to trying to get along mates who could be potentially 'new Motherwell fans' who'll get in involved in the atmosphere than trying to encourage the folk who sit in silence at cup finals to make it a regular occurance.

We haven't managed it up until now, and I don't see that changing.

Maybe not, but surely with the help of:

• Kicking the season off with the excitement of a Champions League qualifier
  • A fantastic effort by the guys at the end of the East creating the best atmosphere at the 'Ark in years
  • A changing mood across Scottish football as it's no longer rigged to favour 2 clubs
  • The club being responsive to fans wishes and moving to being completely community run
  • The possibility of a club legend (allegedly) turning out for a few cameo appearances before moving back down South

C'mon guys, get pestering those friends/family!! It's in our hands.

Couple that with the fact that a lot of people now work weekends as well and the truth is that we'll more than likely see a negligible rise in attendance this season, if any at all.

I agree, but at least now the folk who can't get to games because they work weekends have more ways than ever to financially support the club if they have some spare cash to do so -- not least of which is to put it the way of the Well Society. (And I really hope they eventually find a way to allow more arbitrary/voluntary donations than they do at present, in much the same way as you can top up your pension with AVCs whenever you like!)

What about the suggestion that we try and get as many season ticket holders to pay in to the games of "Club 12" or whoever that may be. Even if we get a few hundred then it would help raise a bit of cash. I for one will leave my ticket at home and try and pay in to a few games.

What about the suggestion that we try and get as many season ticket holders to pay in to the games of "Club 12" or whoever that may be. Even if we get a few hundred then it would help raise a bit of cash. I for one will leave my ticket at home and try and pay in to a few games.

would be an ideal game to do allow ST holders to bring a friend for half price.