Motherwell Vs Levante Discussion Thread

David

Must be fuckin losing it.

If anybody saw anything superior in our opposition tonight then I'm beat.

We had too many off the boil. We're still very naive to the European game. And in the last third I've seldom seen a poorer performance than tonight.

Summed up in them going all out to score for an extended period of play while their guys rolling around injured. Randy eventuality gets hold of the ball and shows the world how nice we are. They c***s had 2 minutes possession in which to put the ball out of play

FFS I really can't believe we're having this debate. Levante beat Barcelona last year and drew with them at the Nou Camp. Do you think Danny Lennon's boys would've got a similar set of results?

Get a fucking grip.

Livingston finished 3rd in the SPL and played in Europe. Is that their level because they did it once?

Feel free to bookmark this, I will personally meet you at Fir Park and hand you 100 quid if Levante come anywhere close to their league finish of last season.

FFS I really can't believe we're having this debate. Levante beat Barcelona last year and drew with them at the Nou Camp. Do you think Danny Lennon's boys would've got a similar set of results?

Get a fucking grip.

That's all well and good. But Levante were really not that impressive tonight. Had we put in the shift we had against Pana I think we'd have beaten them. Better side than us? Surely. But the way they played tonight they were there for the taking and we blew it.

Get a fucking grip.

I dunno but they played better when they came to fir park.

By some distance

We had too many off the boil. We're still very naive to the European game. And in the last third I've seldom seen a poorer performance than tonight.

Summed up in them going all out to score for an extended period of play while their guys rolling around injured. Randy eventuality gets hold of the ball and shows the world how nice we are. They c***s had 2 minutes possession in which to put the ball out of play

Agreed.

And we did turn over our nice ripe belly at that point.

No wonder they clawed fuck out of us.

Looking like you are going to go for a ball and not is not offside, the goalscorer was a mile onside, we expected a flag and didn't get it, disappointed watching the game tonight, too many little mistakes cost us, they also played 5 at the back and were effective at keeping us out the game.

We were 4/1 at home tonight to win, bookies giving those odds obviously know something half the cunts on here don't. Levante are a better side than us.

Couldn't agree more. Couldn't understand that for the life of me.

Looking like you are going to go for a ball and not is not offside, the goalscorer was a mile onside, we expected a flag and didn't get it,

If that is how the games is going to be played, then i think I quit. there is not interfering and there is playing dead because you were caught oot.

Livingston finished 3rd in the SPL and played in Europe. Is that their level because they did it once?

Feel free to bookmark this, I will personally meet you at Fir Park and hand you 100 quid if Levante come anywhere close to their league finish of last season.

Agreed. And even their captain states that the aim is to avoid relegation.

Not "Finish within 13!! places of last season, but to actively AVOID relegation"

Can't quite believe I'm reading that St Mirren are better than Valencia Levante UD

I can't really judge Valencia Levante as I've seen them once, they didnt exactly look fantastic, but then Motherwell were set up to kill the game tonight, not by player selection but by tactics employed, perhaps if Motherwell had played a wide open game with fullbacks attacking then Valencia Levante would've looked better and scored more? but that'll be speculation on my part

I'd speculate that 4 or 5 of their players would waltz into our first team maybe even go as far as 7 or 8

if St Mirren looked better once, I'll bet Motherwell were hell of a lot worse that night

edit: for the quite glaring error

Can't quite believe I'm reading that St Mirren are better than Valencia

I can't really judge Valencia as I've seen them once, they didnt exactly look fantastic, but then Motherwell were set up to kill the game tonight, not by player selection but by tactics employed, perhaps if Motherwell had played a wide open game with fullbacks attacking then Valencia would've looked better and scored more? but that'll be speculation on my part

I'd speculate that 4 or 5 of their players would waltz into our first team maybe even go as far as 7 or 8

if St Mirren looked better once, I'll bet Motherwell were hell of a lot worse that night

Yes, Valencia would have fucking scudded us til we were bleeding, but we were playing Levante.

Thought they were a very well drilled and organised unit, maybe without the same level of individual class that some of the previous opponents we have played. But what they did exceptionally well was make sure we could not play when we had the ball, the only time our creative players had any space was when Humprhey turned on the afterburners. I thought their defending was superb and that meant we were always under pressure and that is why we played less well.

Nah it was a good even game if I mind right

I think I remember it, an enjoyable game maybe, where neither team were particularly superior but quite evenly matched and both trying to attack and score

unlike tonight where we tried not to lose a goal first and foremost, making it a shite game to watch and maybe made both teams look worse than an average SPL side

in fact most ST Mirren games I remember are woeful because ST Mirren setup to not to lose and we struggle to score, making us look worse against them than other SPL clubs

Two points...

1. It's slightly easier to finish third in the SPL than in it is to finish sixth in La Liga.

2. Levante finished sixth in La Liga last season, which is the level they're currently playing at. Livi finished third in the SPL a good few years ago. Of course their current team is not at that level.

Terrible argument.

I couldn't care less where Levante finish this season.

Point still stands, they're an unfashionable team from the top league in Spain, we're an unfashionable team from the top league in Scotland. All things considered, they should hump us.

It's a steaming pile of shite, but that's the law of the game, a shite one

That sums up my feelings on it. I'd love to go back to "offside or onside, nae grey areas" with all the problems that brings. At least then, you knew where you stood and it was less down to interpretation...

Two points...

1. It's slightly easier to finish third in the SPL than in it is to finish sixth in La Liga.

2. Levante finished sixth in La Liga last season, which is the level they're currently playing at. Livi finished third in the SPL a good few years ago. Of course their current team is not at that level.

Terrible argument.

I couldn't care less where Levante finish this season.

Point still stands, they're an unfashionable team from the top league in Spain, we're an unfashionable team from the top league in Scotland. All things considered, they should hump us.

You are bang on, it is a terrible argument. It's that terrible because you're about the only person that saw Levante as anything other than decidedly average, who doesn't think there at least 4 SPL sides that would scud them. Including us if we weren't having a complete holocaust.

And regarding your second point, I haven't checked but i'll assume Livingston had a decent league finish the following season with the same team then?

You are bang on, it is a terrible argument. It's that terrible because you're about the only person that saw Levante as anything other than decidedly average, who doesn't think there at least 4 SPL sides that would scud them. Including us if we weren't having a complete holocaust.

And regarding your second point, I haven't checked but i'll assume Livingston had a decent league finish the following season with the same team then?

Time for bed I think. The team who finished sixth in the Spanish League, would finish fifth or below in the SPL. Fine logic, with absolutely no substance apart from a 90 mins first leg, where they beat us 2-0.

Fuck me. Goodnight.

• Like 3

I actually think most SPL sides would struggle against them because unlike any SPL side (including Celtic) they actually know how to keep possession of a football.

We didn't play as well as we could've tonight but I suspect even at our best, the most we'd get is a draw. For a 'poor' side, they defended well and took their chances when presented to them. To pretend they were there for the taking is optimistic bordering on ludicrous...

• Like 3

It's a steaming pile of shite, but that's the law of the game, a shite one

Is that rule adhered to in the SPL? I've not seen any games this season but in the past players have been penalised for making an attempt go for the ball whether they got there or not whereas in other leagues (EPL) they get away with it if they don't actually touch it.

Doesn't excuse the schoolboy error of not playing to the whistle though!