One Step Beyond

fatcalf

Issue 96 is out on Saturday before the Utd game, sellers will be at their usual spots from 2pm til kick off and a wee bitty afterwards.

I'm looking for some feedback before we get there though. You may have noticed GLF hasn't appeared yet this season, and to be honest the sales have slumped with us as well to a point where we are barely covering the printers bill. I know we're in the middle of a recession and that has to have an effect on all walks of life. Fanzines are also suffering through social media offering immediate outlets for fans views but to me still have their place. I see many walk on by these days without so much as a glance who used to stop and buy. Everyone has the right to choose obviously but I'm curious as to what turns folk off buying the zine.

What I want to know is if you're one of those who has stopped buying a fanzine, is it because the standard is dropping? Or financial reasons? Any other reasons? Feel free to slag us here but obviously I'd prefer confidential constructive discussions to evaluate where we go from here. If the interest has waned to such an extent it actually costs money to bring an issue out then we will know where we stand at least so all opinions welcome.

Mj

Still an every issue buyer but is it not just symptomatic of current times where more and more people seem to be turning away from written media?

Sales of papers are down on what they were. I don't know so much about recently but MFC programme sales were dropping to an extent there was talk of doing away with them, so it's not a huge leap to see that extended to fanzines too.

Reasons for it? I think you sum them up accurately already when you mention social media. I certainly don't think its a quality or price issue. Just sometimes that the technologies of the day have an affect.

You could liken it to a certain extend to the demise of the Exiles Club. You'll remember that our newsletters were largely news and factual based. How many would realistically want to read a match report of a game that happened two months previously when by the end of the day they could click on a website and read and see images about 5 minutes after full-time?

Same goes to an extent with fanzines where you can read, and actually engage in, debates on the issues of the day on a forum the same day they happen without waiting a few weeks to read them in print.

Solutions? Perhaps pushing advance subscriptions? A paypal donations option?

As a former contributor to both OSB and GLF I hope both continue to appear and thrive but perhaps it's a little damning that even as someone who buys both, I hadn't even noticed that GLF hadn't appeared this season.

Another option could be a Downloadable copy - Same price no printing costs.

This is ultimately the way forward I think. A simple PDF version of the fanzine, emailed to those who make a purchase via paypal.

It would also open up the potential audience a lot more.

I think you have some options:

Give up and stop publishing.

Ask the people at Motherwell to give you a gig writing for the matchday program.

See if the official website will host the content on their website.

Or.... continue and run at a loss / break even.

Either way you're not going to make any money from it but guess that's not why you're doing it.

If you're doing it for fun and the enjoyment then I suggest uploading to a site who will host it for free and charge nothing

I think you have some options:

Give up and stop publishing.

Ask the people at Motherwell to give you a gig writing for the matchday program.

See if the official website will host the content on their website.

Or.... continue and run at a loss / break even.

Either way you're not going to make any money from it but guess that's not why you're doing it.

If you're doing it for fun and the enjoyment then I suggest uploading to a site who will host it for free and charge nothing

Pretty much all of that rings true, apart from the Club bits obviously :rolleyes:

Never has and never will make money but we've always managed to meet the printers bill at least. Just seems to be a noticeable decline in sales of both zines over recent seasons. As Brainier says issue 100 is on the horizon so I'm at least aiming for that milestone before making any decision.

Until then feel free to make your feelings known to the sellers on Saturday. And anywhere else you deem appropriate. :thumbup:

Another option could be a Downloadable copy - Same price no printing costs.

It's the future mate. Would facilitate colour, if you wanted it .............. and what about Kindle ? This would enable subscriptions. Not sure if there are any others, but imagine the prestige of being the 1st Kindle Fanzine.

What would you do with your Mr Big Pie envelope template tho ?

It's the future mate. Would facilitate colour, if you wanted it .............. and what about Kindle ? This would enable subscriptions. Not sure if there are any others, but imagine the prestige of being the 1st Kindle Fanzine.

What would you do with your Mr Big Pie envelope template tho ?

Download the new Kindlezine and post it up to you of course. :rolleyes:

If your not after making money out of it, then its probably wise to at least consider making it an online thing rather than binning it altogether. No printers costs, minimal web hosting.

I suppose the only issue with it being online is the content. In this day and age there is always someone who will go out their way to be offended by something. Putting it online opens the gateways for the Blue and Green idiots to find it, drum up some outrage and pass it on to Keevins and co.

Personally, at £1 I don't have a problem with buying it. Most of its a good read. Im quite surprised the sales are down, although I suppose with dwindling gates, the potential market is dropping as well.

You could always jump into the 21st century, give it a spacebook page and twitter feed. Fans can link to it, their mates will see it, word will spread and you can more effectively market the next issue.

i'll always buy it - just because im in the habit of doing so!

i dont always read it from cover to cover and to be honest, i would probably prefer an online version

i'm absolutely clueless when it comes to web hosting / websites costs etc and im not even sure what the best format would be for you

but i'd happily pay £4/5 per year subscription fee if it were to replace the actual hard copy. you could even have it in a forum format where others could discuss (or more likely argue knowing what this place is like!) what the "columnists" have written

how much money does this place generate from advertising? does it cover the costs?

could you do it on facebook or twitter? im guessing you probably could - but that way more "morons!" are probably going to see it, and like suggested above - it could lead to people being offended, that was why I thought if it had its on wensite - where you charged people a subscription then they agree to not being offended in the T&Cs!!

See that's the thing, finest bog read ever widnae be the same online wid it really? :rolleyes:

These days, it's just as easy to read electronic mags on the bog as paper ones. I'll bet there are a fair percentage of posts on here these days that are sent from the stalls.

• Like 1