Scottish Cup Draw

Iain7_mfc

Obviously the draws Monday, at a stupid time when no one can see it but who are we all wanting and why?!

For me it's Elgin away! Only team that we could get whose ground i haven't been to yet and would love to tick it off the list, plus it would be a fine away day!

Here's hoping its not a home tie this year!

Whats wrong with Elgin? Early round of Scottish Cup is always about a good day out, change of scenery etc! We have never played Elgin in a competitive fixture either, in my lifetime anyway, don't know if we have even played them in a friendly over the years?!

Sevco please. Home preferably. Think we need another chance to redeem ourselves.

Funnily enough agree. The manager's lost a lot of goodwill over the last debacle I think. To redeem ourselves would be good for the club as a whole.

Then again it could be as bad as last time..

Whats wrong with Elgin? Early round of Scottish Cup is always about a good day out, change of scenery etc! We have never played Elgin in a competitive fixture either, don't know if we have even played them in a friendly over the years?!

Used to be a regular pre-season tour destination during Tommy McLean's time. Split the squad - one half went with him and the other with Big Tam Forsyth - both squads to different highland league clubs. Had a wee dram with Big Tam at the Borough Briggs Social Club after one such encounter. These were as close as we got to Euro adventures in those day's you younger guys don't know your living laugh1.gif

Given we look midtable team in the league, we're out the League Cup, what we really want from the Scottish Cup is to be in it after Christmas. Any team home or away that just about guarantees that. Any non SPL team, not Dunfermline or Partick and certainly not Rangers will do me.

It's been gone over plenty in the past about the timing of draws for Scottish Cup competitions but can only reiterate that by having it at stupid o'clock on a weekday they've managed to destroy an element of excitement for supporters already. Mind plenty of buses home after games when the draw was at a sensible time and fans were on their way home from games, where the bus would descend into silence then errupt when Motherwell's name and opponent was decided. Though it would last all but 5 minutes the draw for the old 3rd Round of the Cup was one of the moments of the season to look forward to.

If they really have to make it a working day could they not even do it at lunchtime when folk might actually have a chance of seeing it instead of half-two when most will have done and dusted lunch and are at the mercy of their work's mobile phone/internet polis?

It remains to be seen how successful the moving of the 4th Round to the first week in December proves too. Personally I'm not so sure that the hoped for lift in crowds for that round because the weather "may" be slightly better in early December is going to offset the overall drop in crowds that teams can get after they go out the Cup because the competitive part of the season is then effectively over.

May be I'm just particularly negative about it as I'll be in London over the Cup weekend and am pretty miffed at missing out on what is one of my favourite parts of the season.

So for me personally I'm looking for a winnable tie that will get us through, preferably away from home so the Cup voucher is still valid in the season book for hopefully the next round, but not to a ground that we've never played at before. Selfish shite that I am! :laugh:

Whats wrong with Elgin? Early round of Scottish Cup is always about a good day out, change of scenery etc! We have never played Elgin in a competitive fixture either, don't know if we have even played them in a friendly over the years?!

Bit of a trek for you guys but would suit me very nicely. We have played there before, pre-season tour of Highland League sides was a regular thing late 80's early 90's.

Elgin, Peterhead or Montrose (Away) for me.

Had no idea that they had moved the 4th round to December. Ridiculous decision IMO. With all the moving of k/o times etc this is a step too far. Always loved having the cup the first week in Jan. Didnt matter how bad your season was going it was something exciting to start the new year with and usually resulted in a bumper crowd. Same with the draw. Appreciate we now have cup games spread over a whole weekend which makes the 5.30pm on the Sat night difficilt but why have it Monday morning? It should be live after the last game is played (usually moved for tv anyway) or at least put it on live on Rrporting Scotland in the evening. We need to sell our game not hide it away.

As for the draw itself, would be nice to be away to lower league opposition to experience some of the romance of the cup missed out on Inverurie a few years ago because of the postponement so something like that would do me fine.