Jamie Murphy - Scotland Squad

joewarkfanclub

This thread will do nothing for his confidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope Jamie doesn't read this!!!!!

If you think that was harsh I wouldnt read any Higdon/McCall threads!

Thread wasnt intended to be critical. Jamie is one of our better players and his scoring stats are good. But the original point put to me elsewhere was that he IS our best player and he IS ready gor Scotland now. I dont think he is either and Jamie would probably agree.

No player should be a certain starter for any team, they should all have to earn their place by putting the work in during the week in training & by performing during the game time they are given.

Randolph has been consistently outstanding for us but if he were to go on a run of bad form, even his place should be in jeopardy.

Jamie Murphy has earned a place in the starting line up tomorrow after his display on Saturday, here's hoping he continues to earn a place as that can only be a good thing for us.

As far as Scotland goes, probably not at the moment but would love to see him earn that place as well, as the only way to do it is by shining for his club side.

I'm going to go for no and no aswell.

Murphy can be a frustrating player for us, too lightweight, not consistent enough etc, but not if you look at the bigger picture. Thirteen goals last season was a very fine return for a player who was playing left or right midfield for the majority of the season. You also have to consider that included two winners, the second goal in a 4-2 victory, a goal in a 4-3 victory and a double in a 3-0 away win....

For the Scotland squad, I think he is a no simply because we have better options elsewhere. The fact he can't be defined solely as a forward or a wide player doesn't help either. For wide players we have Forrest, Mackie, Snodgrass and Commons among others who are rightfully ahead of him in the pecking order. Also, as Scotland rarely will play with more than one up front (even with Levein being sacked), you would never play him as a lone striker and would sooner play many others there before him.

Randolph, Hateley, Hutchison, Lasley, Law and Higdon will start every game they are available for. Fact.

All pretty consistent performers (maybe bar Hateley) so no reason why they shouldn't.

However, say 1 of them spends the next few games walking around in a daze, not running, not tackling, constantly passes to the opposition & also doesn't bother turning up for training half the time. Does he still get to start every game just because he's available?

He isn't playing like our best player the moment, though i'm not sure who is exactly. Murph was regular starter for the national under 21's though and not so long ago no one wanted us to sell him for less than two mil. He is very effective on his good days and is being played out of position to fit our team.

He does need to bulk up, and quickly, if he wants to move up a level. This would not cause him to lose pace, it should make him faster - see prem strikers and olympic sprinters. It may also give him more physical confidence than he has at present.

He is also a bit too nice and team orientated for an offensive player - he rarely loses possession, which is fine if you are las, but given his role he should take more risks. He only tries to beat his man about twice a game at the mo, generally preferring to slow down, cut in and look for a sideways pass.

Personally i would hate to lose him and feel he has a cracking spell for us left in him, though probably not from the wing.

All pretty consistent performers (maybe bar Hateley) so no reason why they shouldn't.

However, say 1 of them spends the next few games walking around in a daze, not running, not tackling, constantly passes to the opposition & also doesn't bother turning up for training half the time. Does he still get to start every game just because he's available?

Sorry Hateley isn't a consistent performer? I'd argue he's been one of thee most consistent performers we've had over the last few years, hence why he's only missed 1 game I think in over three years under three different managers and why he played every minute of every game last season.

Oh and no and no for me too on Murphy. He's got the talent to play at a higher level no doubt but I have questions marks over the physical and mental aspects of his game.

Sorry NottsMFC- I still don't know how to quote from my phone!

I take your point, and I'd love the ethos to be in place where we had competition for every place. Sadly this can't be the case for a squad as small as ours and, despite Murpphys good form, I don't think our XI would be weakened much, if at all, by playing Carswell in the middle and Law on the left with Ojamaa supporting Higdon. That's not a criticism of Murphy as such- if we had someone who was as good a centre-half as Murphy is a forward then he'd play beside Hutchison every week for me.

Sorry NottsMFC- I still don't know how to quote from my phone!

I take your point, and I'd love the ethos to be in place where we had competition for every place. Sadly this can't be the case for a squad as small as ours and, despite Murpphys good form, I don't think our XI would be weakened much, if at all, by playing Carswell in the middle and Law on the left with Ojamaa supporting Higdon. That's not a criticism of Murphy as such- if we had someone who was as good a centre-half as Murphy is a forward then he'd play beside Hutchison every week for me.

Agree the size of our squad limits the scope for rotation, & to be honest, I'm more of the old school thinking of keeping the 1st team as unchanged as is possible. For me there's nothing better than a team that picks it's self.

Point I was trying to make is that If a player performs well, they deserve to keep their place in the team.

Haven't seen a great deal of Carswell but he looked decent against Hearts, & if he comes into the team & performs well, he should keep his place for the following game, no matter who's expense that's at.

I agree with that, but I think we all know its not the case. Lasley is suspended, Carswell comes in for a game and plays a stormer, Lasley is back the next game. Carswell would possibly retain a place in the team, but it would be at the expense of someone like Murphy.

He's a first team player, yes, but he's not part of the spine of the first XI. For that reason, I think we've missed a trick not selling him at some point over the past couple of years while his stock has been higher outside of MFC than its been within.

I agree with that, but I think we all know its not the case. Lasley is suspended, Carswell comes in for a game and plays a stormer, Lasley is back the next game. Carswell would possibly retain a place in the team, but it would be at the expense of someone like Murphy.

He's a first team player, yes, but he's not part of the spine of the first XI. For that reason, I think we've missed a trick not selling him at some point over the past couple of years while his stock has been higher outside of MFC than its been within.

murphy should be in the team because he scores goals for us.

if anyone is dropping out it should be the guy with 6 goals in 138 appearances.

This kind of thread amuses me..

Motherwell fans always go on about how Hibs and Dundee United get better transfer fees for their players because the media talks their players up. We don't need the media to downplay our players' qualities. We do it well enough ourselves.

Not that I'm suggesting Murphy should get a cap but why we feel the need to point this out on an internet forum about one of our own is beyond me. Let's have more threads praising the qualities our players do have. As others have pointed out, Murphy generally scores more than ten goals a season while playing wide midfield. Can't think of too many non Old Firm midfielders with that return over a number of seasons. Could he play at a higher level? I don't know but he is a very, very good SPL player that eight or nine other sides in the league would have in their first team...

The thread was never about Jamie Murphy's qualities or abilities as a player. It was an unofficial poll on whether a cross section of Motherwell fans thought he was 1. our best player and 2. Ready for a Scotland call up. It was a question raised on another forum by someone who claimed to know lots of Well fans who thought the answer to both questions were yes. Surely not unreasonable to use this forum to establish if he was right?

I happen to think Jamie Murphy is a good player. Inconsistent but with undoubted ability. I also think he can go on to bigger and better things but he needs a move for that to happen. I sincerely hope he gets the chance and grabs it with both hands.

I think most folk agree with that. Good SPL player? Aye. Premiership player? Absolutely not. International player? Not a chance.

I thought to play for Scotland that you simply had to be a good SPL player. I'm thinking Andy Webster, David Goodwillie (when he made his debut), Ian Black (apparently capped on last season's performances) or going further back Barry Robson, Kris Boyd or Colin Cameron...

• 2 weeks later...