Criticism Of Players

Frazzie

Sorry to break it to people but there is no "Best Motherwell Fan" award getting dished out at the end of the season. I find folk who slate players every week regardless of their performance very frustrating, but the only thing that annoys me more is the fans who will sit and tolerate any level of turgid, heartless pish and still applaud the players like they've achieved something. Even more galling is that these same morons feel they are entitled to shout down other supporters who have the cheek to point out when there is a blatant lack of ability and application.

What do these people feel they are going to earn from behaving like this? And do they only do it to get that warm and fuzzy feeling in their stomach from sitting on a high horse? Someone please explain- I'm genuinely curious.

• Like 11

I might be wrong here but do you sit in the east stand second block along from the cooper in a group of guys at the back?

In response to your point I think its quite often best to keep quiet when things are shite rather than berate someone wildly for one slightly overplayed pass on an icy pitch. Negativity spreads like wildfire at fir park and ok its warranted at times maybe but does it do any good? Does it make people feel better? Does it make the players play better?

Ive never seen a player improve his performance by shouting at him telling him that he was shite.

By all means boo players or the team at the end of the game to let them know its not good enough. They then have a few days in training to lick their wounds and think about it, but during the game why not try and keep it positive?

Yep, that's me.

I don't think I berate anyone wildly, and any criticism I do vocalise isn't a pre-planned attempt to improve things. It's a build-up of frustration, a let off of some steam. Football is a mans game and that applies as much to accepting criticism when it's due as much as it does to getting a hard challenge put in on you on the park.

Can't disagree with the original post, there are some Motherwell fans out there who just cannot accept any form of criticism whatsoever against the manager or the team, whether it's merited or not. At the same time mind you there are some right negative supporters who always fear the worst no matter worst, a bit like myself.

However, I genuinely don't believe that we are in any way unique as a support for that kind of thing.

Yep, that's me.

I don't think I berate anyone wildly, and any criticism I do vocalise isn't a pre-planned attempt to improve things. It's a build-up of frustration, a let off of some steam. Football is a mans game and that applies as much to accepting criticism when it's due as much as it does to getting a hard challenge put in on you on the park.

Aye im the guy that's usually at the end of the row on my own..not been able to make a few games recently and had to sit halfway down that block tonight cos some guy wouldn't move.

Anyway I hear what youre saying and I kind of agree, I just don't know what good it does. Maybe im feeling pretty apathetic just now. Was it in relation to the boy with the hair a few rows in front, shouting at people for shouting at hateley?

Well, I suppose he prompted it because he had a wee go at me tonight, but there's a good few like him on this forum and in the stands. Between them and the moaners, I genuinely feel that people with considered and balanced views are in the minority.

To be honest, I'm just venting my overall frustrations on here in the same way as I was at the game. Hopefully I'll be in a better mood in the morning.

Not a fan of singling people out, too often at Fir Park over the years there have been fans who have decided whose fault it's going to be when things go wrong even before a ball is kicked.

But Frazzle does have a point. Any criticism is generally born of frustration and wanting the team to do well.

I won't try and speak for Frazzle but for me, there is nothing more frustrating that someone consistently underperforming over the season but you know he's one of the ñrst names on the team sheet despite two others being able to play in that position...

Well, I suppose he prompted it because he had a wee go at me tonight, but there's a good few like him on this forum and in the stands. Between them and the moaners, I genuinely feel that people with considered and balanced views are in the minority.

To be honest, I'm just venting my overall frustrations on here in the same way as I was at the game. Hopefully I'll be in a better mood in the morning.

its the nature of football I suppose. A balanced view might say the referee got something spot on, but because it's not totally obvious and its against motherwell people don't stand up and praise the ref. Youre right, people want to vent and they should be able to, its just futile most of the time in my opinion.

having said that the boy with the hair (hope he doesn't post in here and take offence!) might have had a point. folk in that block were shouting at hateley, when he's getting the ball for a throw right in front of the wall and fully in earshot, that he can fuck off and his dads a c**t and all sorts. What's the point, really? I get moaning at decisions and frustration at lack of effort but personal abuse when the player must have heard it is pretty shirt, regardless of how poor his performance was

its the nature of football I suppose. A balanced view might say the referee got something spot on, but because it's not totally obvious and its against motherwell people don't stand up and praise the ref. Youre right, people want to vent and they should be able to, its just futile most of the time in my opinion.

having said that the boy with the hair (hope he doesn't post in here and take offence!) might have had a point. folk in that block were shouting at hateley, when he's getting the ball for a throw right in front of the wall and fully in earshot, that he can fuck off and his dads a c**t and all sorts. What's the point, really? I get moaning at decisions and frustration at lack of effort but personal abuse when the player must have heard it is pretty shirt, regardless of how poor his performance was

What it will do is chase him out the door first decent offer comes his way. Fans are quick to question players loyalty but where is our loyalty to a player who has been one of our most consistent performers for 3 seasons the minute he hits a slump in form.

• Like 1

Sorry to break it to people but there is no "Best Motherwell Fan" award getting dished out at the end of the season. I find folk who slate players every week regardless of their performance very frustrating, but the only thing that annoys me more is the fans who will sit and tolerate any level of turgid, heartless pish and still applaud the players like they've achieved something. Even more galling is that these same morons feel they are entitled to shout down other supporters who have the cheek to point out when there is a blatant lack of ability and application.

What do these people feel they are going to earn from behaving like this? And do they only do it to get that warm and fuzzy feeling in their stomach from sitting on a high horse? Someone please explain- I'm genuinely curious.

Fans are entitled to criticize players/managers if they don't feel like they are performing, especially consistently over a long period. However, you don't like to see people go over the top as has happened on occasion, for instance during Billy Davies time as manager when things got really poisonous for a while.

However I'm quite interested in your post above because you seem to be saying you think you should be entitled to be able to have free reign to criticize players but at the same time are moaning about other supporters criticizing you at matches. Isn't there a bit of hypocrisy there?

I'm basically for freedom of speech but that applies to everyone and different supporters see their role differently. Some think they pay their money and they can say what they want, others think supporters should always support, I'm kinda in the middle of those two positions but you can't really complain about being shouted at if you are dishing it out yourself.

What it will do is chase him out the door first decent offer comes his way. Fans are quick to question players loyalty but where is our loyalty to a player who has been one of our most consistent performers for 3 seasons the minute he hits a slump in form.

Totally agree :nod:

I had a go at someone last night for shouting at Higdon for failing to win a ball. He shouted "Jump Higdon you're bloody useless", now the reason I had a go was the ball was at chest height. Everytime Higdon doesn't win a ball he shouts something along those lines about Higdon jumping. It does my head right in.

I think my argument is slightly different. If the ball comes to Higdon at chest height, he should chest it in my opinion, but it is possible, however unlikely, that someone else might want him to head it.

But with Hateley, his crosses seldom beat the first man, his outswinging corners from the right are more likely to cause an opportunity for the opposition than us, and defensively he almost never blocks the cross from their left winger. And yet he is (supposedly) our highest earner, hits every set piece and seems to be the first name on the team sheet every week. It's cringeworthy.

• Like 1

The vast majority of Motherwell supporters only see Motherwell at Fir Park and what they/we are continually being served up warrants criticism I'm afraid. My dad has a season ticket and only goes to home games. He can't believe the team that is sitting 3rd in the league is the same team he watches every second week. Same goes for last season. He missed the Ross County game due to illness therefore he has seen Motherwell win at Fir Park ONCE since April. Typically I missed both the home wins this season due to illness and other commitments, therefore haven't seen Motherwell win at Fir Park since April and not once all season!! Fortunately I was at Dens Park, McDiarmid Park and Tannadice.

It's brutal brutal predictable turgid keech at Fir Park this season.

I think my argument is slightly different. If the ball comes to Higdon at chest height, he should chest it in my opinion, but it is possible, however unlikely, that someone else might want him to head it.

But with Hateley, his crosses seldom beat the first man, his outswinging corners from the right are more likely to cause an opportunity for the opposition than us, and defensively he almost never blocks the cross from their left winger. And yet he is (supposedly) our highest earner, hits every set piece and seems to be the first name on the team sheet every week. It's cringeworthy.

Sorry what I meant by that is aye criticism is merited at times but it has to be constructive. Some of it is stupid and sometimes it seems as if certain people wait for a player to make a mistake so they can criticise. Plus if the ball was chest height you wouldn't need to jump to head it :lol: . Some of the criticism is waffle in my opinion but I agree with you on Hateley.

• Like 1

frustrating yes, poor basic mistakes yes but they are at their place of work(granted their wages are better than most), so screaming abuse doesn,t work, as they continue with the same problems. how would you feel if you had abuse comments thrown at you all the time. i am all for constructive criticism, well deserved after last nights poor performance, but would you stay at your work place if all that abuse happened?. be careful what you wish for with a lot of our team out of contract. i and many others dont have the answers but on our budget you get what you pay for.

I never thought of it serving a purpose like that. Maybe I'll ramp it up a notch then...

Look forward to Fraser Kerr at right back for the rest of the season then. Maybe someone even poorer next season unless Saunders can get back to full fitness.

There is no getting away from the fact that Hately's form has been guff for most of the season. However, he may be playing with an injury for the benefit of the team or suffering from some other problem that he doesnt want to go public with.

I just think that he deserves to be cut some slack given his service to the club over the 3 previous seasons. It is those high standards that are the cause of most peoples frustrations with him now.

I think the manager could take some pressure off however by ensuring others take more responsibility for set peices.

I realise its tough watching turgid crap game after game but the opposition have to take some credit for that. I agree though that the manager has to try and find a way for our players to break down teams at home. Until he does we need to be patient and get behind the team. The last thing we need is the players shi****g themselves and scared to take a first touch.

• Like 1

Interesting thred.

For me the main problem is a lack of depth, when players aren't playing well there is limited or no chice of changing them. I can fully understand that this is because of budget cuts, however the constant berating of players under performing will do no good.

I for 1 am guilty of giving a player stick hatley for 1 as I know he can be a lot better but it's along the lines of ffs hatley get a grip and pick you're game up. Criticism in my book is fine but it has to be measures and not just abusive " ie you're a useless cnt and so was you're dad " that's not criticism that's just abuse.

We all get frustrated that includes the players but lets try and keep it measured at the very least.

Ps for me personally Higdon came in for so much stick that I actually make a point of encouraging him at every opportunity just to let him know what the majority of fans think. But I do wonder why I bought 3 season tickets this year as home for has been gash.

Any of the guys I sit with will confirm I've never rated Hateley during his time here.

And if I turned in as many sub-standard performances at my work I would be on the dole by now, nevermind a big nasty man saying wicked things to me. And I can assure you I'm not on £3k a week!

• Like 1