Football Historians In The Future Will Say...

SteelmaninOZ

I think you hit the nail on the head there O, it's only once you've tasted that victory that you appreciate what a rare and beautiful thing it is for a club like ours and the fans. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had a dad who would yabber on about the glory days of the 50's and the 52 cup winning team, and how magical it felt. I was always envious of him because of what he had experienced all those years back, even through the 70's and 80's when we often had really entertaining teams that almost got there., But just fell short. So I can fully understand why people would feel so strongly about winning a cup. And those of us lucky enough to have gone through every emotion possible in 91, can always say to our kids/nephews/nieces/grand kids etc, I was there... After missing out so badly 2 years ago, I'm sure folk who didn't experience the Original People's final, would happily give up some league success for a reversal of that day... Nothing irrational about that. Just wanting to right a wrong... IMO rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I think you hit the nail on the head there O, it's only once you've tasted that victory that you appreciate what a rare and beautiful thing it is for a club like ours and the fans. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had a dad who would yabber on about the glory days of the 50's and the 52 cup winning team, and how magical it felt. I was always envious of him because of what he had experienced all those years back, even through the 70's and 80's when we often had really entertaining teams that almost got there., But just fell short. So I can fully understand why people would feel so strongly about winning a cup. And those of us lucky enough to have gone through every emotion possible in 91, can always say to our kids/nephews/nieces/grand kids etc, I was there... After missing out so badly 2 years ago, I'm sure folk who didn't experience the Original People's final, would happily give up some league success for a reversal of that day... Nothing irrational about that. Just wanting to right a wrong... IMO rolleyes.gif

:drinks: very well said mate

No surpise really, we always have a good few years every twenty. - eary, 30's, 50's, 70's, 90's and now.... er well, now. So you'll get your cup win next year or 2031 where we can wheel Mr AKA to the stadium!!!!!!

Now that would be something seeing the big man in his bath chair festooned wi Claret and Amber streamers and balloons :laugh::cheers:

To be honest I think "golden era" is a bit OTT, I don't see how you can really describe a period where we haven't won a thing as a "golden era" but perhaps it's a "silver era" and it's certainly been a better than average period.

When I started coming to games regularly it was that very difficult period when we'd just been promoted and we were trying to establish ourselves in the Premier League and it was a bit of a brutal slog season on season until McLean eventually managed to fashion a side that could do better than being perennial relegation strugglers.

What the historians will probably say was that the city clubs of Scotland over this period have been absolutely abject.

• Like 1

Touching on the subject of attendance, surely the guys who made most of the trips over the last few seasons will be less inclined to swap the memories than the folk who watched them in JDs?

This is the main reason I'd swap the European adventures for a cup win. As much as I've loved seeing the foreign teams come to Fir Park (or the Excelsior dry.gif), the trips abroad have always been too much of a stretch, so I've been watching on shit internet streams, and it's just not had an immense effect on me the same way as people who've gotten to see us play in various countries. Don't get me wrong, I've been delighted with the performances, and especially league placements, and I can see the other side of the argument, but for me, I'd trade it for a cup win in any of the recent disappointing finals.

Having said that, I've never seen us win a cup either (too young), so that clearly swings my opinion one way to begin with.

Touching on the subject of attendance, surely the guys who made most of the trips over the last few seasons will be less inclined to swap the memories than the folk who watched them in JDs?

:lol:

Fair point!

Having said that, the reaction in JDs when Hately scored in Odense was unbelievable! Something I've never experienced as a Motherwell fan, watching a game in a mobbed pub and going mental when we scored.

Fair point!

Having said that, the reaction in JDs when Hately scored in Odense was unbelievable! Something I've never experienced as a Motherwell fan, watching a game in a mobbed pub and going mental when we scored.

I wasn't at JDs for that but that has to be up there for the most I've celebrated a goal when not at the stadium. Can only think of Faddy in France and Jutkiewicz v Hibs to match it

Fair point!

I wasn't at JDs for that but that has to be up there for the most I've celebrated a goal when not at the stadium. Can only think of Faddy in France and Jutkiewicz v Hibs to match it

Faddy in France was the only comparison I could think of too.

i wasnt in JDs that night, so cant comment - but i did go mental in TREFOR Park!!! (so much so i was told to calm down!)

i was also in France when Faddy scored - and it wasn't just the goal, it was the march to the stadium, the party under the Eiffel Tower, the fact the ground was taken over by the Scots.......everything together made that very special

but i'd still say I celebrated Marc Fitzpatrick scoring at Easter Road more than the above two.......so much so, i had tears in my eyes!!

but i'd still say I celebrated Marc Fitzpatrick scoring at Easter Road more than the above two.......so much so, i had tears in my eyes!!

I was sober at that game and when fitzy scored I was out on the aisles hugging random people. Something I've never done before without a drink in me.