Motherwell 1994/95 V Motherwell 2012/13

ONeils40yarder

The Katowice home leg one is a cracker, we absolutely pummelled them that night!!

Indeed. My recollection is that it was the Cooper and Russell show. Great crowd and atmosphere that night with the old terracing and what was the "new" East Stand.

Was he not flagged as offside anyway? Hazy memories due Dortmunder Korn :cheers:

Don't think so - 'celebrated' that goal for a good 2 or 3 minutes, before I realised he'd missed and the net had rippled from the rebound - too much (far too much Dortmunder whatever). What a five days in the good company of Mr Ska.

1366881784[/url]' post='380350']

Don't think so - 'celebrated' that goal for a good 2 or 3 minutes, before I realised he'd missed and the net had rippled from the rebound - too much (far too much Dortmunder whatever). What a five days in the good company of Mr Ska.

LOL That was the game you almost missed.

Passport?Kitchen table?

dash2.gif

I'd say the 94/95 team was better.

I'd add that our current front 4 of Faddy, Higgy, Ojamaa and Humph is the best frontline I can remember watching. Each of them bring something different and have been abusing defences in recent weeks. It's just a shame we're unlikely to see them together for much longer.

I've always felt that the 1994/1995 season was the best season a Motherwell side have had in the time I've followed the team, and I know its extremely difficult to compare teams and eras but how does this current team stack up in comparison to the last Motherwell team to finish 2nd in the league (assuming we manage that this season as well).

Obviously there are some stand-out differences;

Formation - we tended to play 3 at the back in those days, with two wing backs and 3 in the middle, in comaprison to the more gung-ho formation we have at the moment.

The Old Firm - Celtic werent anywhere near the force they soon became in the Fergus McCann years, but we still managed to split the OF. This season we are 2nd best without Rangers in the league.

Money - we seemed to have more readily available cash in this era, going by the money we shelled out in Big Ecks second season :whistling: .

Experience - the 1994/95 team was hugely experienced, 2 Scotland caps in the starting 11 and TC just back from starring in USA 94 with Ireland. Most of the team had been round the block a few times. 10 of the regular starting 11 were Scots, whilst the only 'non-Scot' was Scotsman Tommy Coyne.

The State of Scottish Football - in general terms, we were a much better footballing nation than the one we are just now, although we missed out on USA94, we competed in the Euros in 1992 and 1996 as well as the WC's in 1990 and 1998. The League itself was also more competitive with much stronger Hearts, Dundee United and Aberdeen teams than we've seen this season

Season 1994/95 finished with us looking like this

P W D L F A GD PTS

2Motherwell361412105050054

Currently we are sitting with

P W D L F A GD PTS

34 16 9 9 59 44 +15 57

Tommy Coyne finished the season as the Leagues top scorer with 16, so far Michael Higdon has 25 goals with 4 games remaining.

For what its worth our 1994/95 team v our 2012/13 team would look something like this;

Woods Randolph

Shannon Hateley

McKinnon Hammell

Martin Hutchinson

McCart Ramsden

Philliben Law

Lambert Lasley

Davies Humphrey

Dolan McFadden

Arnott Ojamma

Coyne Higdon

I'm not knocking our current team or their achievements this season for a second, I've enjoyed this season hugely, but I reckon the team of 1994/95, the team that split the Old Firm, the team that ran Borrussia Dortmund close, the team that went on to produce a Champions League winner, the team that had a guy playing beyond the group stages of USA94, was the better all round package, despite having Stevie Woods in goal. The big pity for me is that we allowed McLeish to spend a rake of cash to dismantle it and fill it withe Andy Roddies, Eddie Mays and Shaun McSkimmings.

Not strickly speaking like for like but if asked to choose I reckon the best 11 from these two team would include the players in bold. Sorry Fraz but Woods was at best mediocre with added calamity. He was like Graeme Smith post Well career all the time!

Biggest dilemmas in the choices were Coyne/Higdon and maybe McCart and Hutchison. Reckon McCart maybe wasn't quite at his best at time quoted but would otherwise have given Hutchinson serious competition. Prefer Lasleys extra steel to Billy Davies and Humphrey also unlucky to miss out.

Woods Randolph

Shannon Hateley

McKinnon Hammell

Martin Hutchinson

McCart Ramsden

Philliben Law

Lambert Lasley

Davies Humphrey

Dolan McFadden

Arnott Ojamma

Coyne Higdon

Personally I think the 93-94 team that finished 3rd was better than both.

This.

We had Dykstra in goal rather than Woods. Phil O'Donnell was in the side also.

We played much better than season before and if I remember correctly actually won more matches and finished much closer to the eventual Champions.

The 90's team was far superior defensively. I'd pick the entire back line over anyone we have now with the exception of Randolph.

Randolph

Shannon

Martin

McCart

McKinnon

It's difficult to compare both sides in midfield because they played different formations. Lambert would be straight in. Superb player. I'd pick Phil O'Donnnell over anyone in the current side as well but if we are restricting it to the 94-95 side it would be close between Billy Davies and Nicky Law. So I'd put Nicky Law on the left and play Davies in the middle and have McFadden on the right. If we needed a bit more steel in the midfield I'd probably replace Davies with Lasley. Lasley and Dolan were very similar players but I think Lasley has been good in a Motherwell shirt longer than Dolan was so he deserves the nod.

McFadden

Lambert

Davies

Law

Tommy Coyne is the stand out striker we've had in my time and is a no brainer. He had a great partnership with Arnott and although Arnott wasn't ever a prolific striker (except against the OF!) he caused defenders all sorts of trouble and chipped in as well. So despite Higdon having a superb season I'd go for the nineties pairing there.

Coyne

Arnott