Update From The Mfc Board

Toxteth O'Grady

:blink: Eh?

Do us a favour and leave out the 'stand by me' speech. Nobody is denying the club hasn't performed, but, as has been said before, blind positivety doesn't paper over the cracks. Hence, the Glee Club reference.

Been a long time since I've felt the need to criticise the club as I'm fully understanding of we are where we are, but, more than one has stated reservation as to how the funds raised are appropriated. This being the main point of steelboys' posts, perhaps if you could rationalise your posts instead of deflecting by telling us how to be a better fan and how everything in the garden is rosy the better the debate no?

:blink: my turn eh.??

I think I made 5 points in relation to his post so how more rational do you want ffs.

and its a discussion forum so its up to me what I decide to leave out if that's alright with you

Well Well, I think your Avatar is very apt.

I do not criticise the club, unless in my opinion, that is my own personal opinion, which I believe I am entitled to hold and if I elect do do so, express on a public forum such as this which seems designed for that purpose.

However, I honestly believe the thinking behind the Well Society whilst absolutely laudable, is seriously flawed and for one simple reason - Motherwell FC, very much to my regret, simply does not have a big enough fan base to support such an operating model.

To put things into perspective, we have just had arguably one of the most successful season in the club's long history, and I would suggest certainly the most successful in the modern football era, by finishing 2nd in the league and yet still we make a loss. It does beg the question, what would've happened if we had finished 2nd bottom?

However, I honestly believe the thinking behind the Well Society whilst absolutely laudable, is seriously flawed and for one simple reason - Motherwell FC, very much to my regret, simply does not have a big enough fan base to support such an operating model.

To put things into perspective, we have just had arguably one of the most successful season in the club's long history, and I would suggest certainly the most successful in the modern football era, by finishing 2nd in the league and yet still we make a loss. It does beg the question, what would've happened if we had finished 2nd bottom?

I imagine we would have sold Ojamaa, Hutchy and Law when the offers came in last season rather than reject them.

Well Well, I think your Avatar is very apt.

I do not criticise the club, unless in my opinion, that is my own personal opinion, which I believe I am entitled to hold and if I elect do do so, express on a public forum such as this which seems designed for that purpose.

:mellow: I didn't think I criticised anything you said Grew..did I..?? If I did I apologise I was merely trying to lift the perpetual doom and gloom some on here continually spout..I full applaud anyone who has an opinion and they are entitled to it just some on here who don't want me to express mine because it doesn't suit theirs...if that makes sense.

Well Well, I'm sorry if it came across as me having a go but I was trying in my own clumsy way, to say that everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if the people expressing the opinions are seen as perpetual doom and gloom merchants that can never seem to find any good in anything the club does. It just annoys the hell out of me when people have a go at others who are merely having their say.

But I do think the club have embarked on a road down which danger lies with the Well Society. As I said I genuinely don't believe its viable due to the small size of our fan base but I applaud them for giving it a go. Cheers.

• Like 1

I could understand all the doom & gloom if we were sevco or Hearts but we are not & i'm sure we will just go on as normal with possibly a few poor seasons on the horizon but nothing too bad to worry about. All the more reason to enjoy the good times while we can.

The biggest worry for me is that we can't afford even 1 poor season never mind a few. We've made a loss 3 years on the trot now,even with finishing 2nd,getting rangers in the cup on tv with 45,000 fans,Aberdeen x2 (1 on tv) in the scottish cup,and 2 bumper euro gates and £200k for Murphy!

Add to that we have only 1 saleable asset in the squad and he will walk away next year for free and a smaller budget to replace 11 players meaning the likelyhood of bringing in another Ojamaa is not good. If we lose the euro tie and only get say 8,000 at Fir Park, get put out both cups early against the likes of Caley,finish 4th or below and someone signs Hutch on a pre contract in Jan,with our crazy budgeting we will lose £500k-£700k minimum,how can we take that hit without admin or worse?

The biggest worry for me is that we can't afford even 1 poor season never mind a few. We've made a loss 3 years on the trot now,even with finishing 2nd,getting rangers in the cup on tv with 45,000 fans,Aberdeen x2 (1 on tv) in the scottish cup,and 2 bumper euro gates and £200k for Murphy!

Add to that we have only 1 saleable asset in the squad and he will walk away next year for free and a smaller budget to replace 11 players meaning the likelyhood of bringing in another Ojamaa is not good. If we lose the euro tie and only get say 8,000 at Fir Park, get put out both cups early against the likes of Caley,finish 4th or below and someone signs Hutch on a pre contract in Jan,with our crazy budgeting we will lose £500k-£700k minimum,how can we take that hit without admin or worse?

and thats the whole point Shaka, we can only afford the size of squad and wages we can sustain through our income and for a club our size and fanbase thats not a hell of a lot of money. SO we are cutting our cloth accordingly to survive. We have had a great last few years but we cannot afford to pay for the good quality players we have seen the last few years and no doubt we will be a bottom six club as basically that's the level that we can sustain. It's realistic and no bad thing. My main concern is that with so many first team players leaving that even if we replace every single player the heart of the team has gone and the squad mentality and team spirit will have to be rebuilt very quickly.

Did we not make a £500k profit as at 31st May 2011 - I make it two years of losses (although the May 2013 accounts will not be out for another 8-9 months). Add to this the fact that we are already in profit for the current fiscal year and budgets have been cut then I'm not that worried about administration, even if we finish in the bottom 6.

As for 1 saleable asset this is a very negative outlook. Carswell and ZFA are on longer deals and, assuming they have decent injury free years, are possible sales next year. Add to that other players that will be brought in on the cheap in the next few weeks.

Then again, perhaps my glass is just half full ...

My main concern is that with so many first team players leaving that even if we replace every single player the heart of the team has gone and the squad mentality and team spirit will have to be rebuilt very quickly

This.

My main concern is that with so many first team players leaving that even if we replace every single player the heart of the team has gone and the squad mentality and team spirit will have to be rebuilt very quickly

This.

That's the least of my concerns, McCall has my trust on that score as I reckon that's one area he excels in. Prefer Jim Gannon in there to find the players first though.

:evilgrin:

This.

You'll not get in the glee club with Well Well with an outlook like that ;)

Did we not make a £500k profit as at 31st May 2011 - I make it two years of losses (although the May 2013 accounts will not be out for another 8-9 months). Add to this the fact that we are already in profit for the current fiscal year and budgets have been cut then I'm not that worried about administration, even if we finish in the bottom 6.

As for 1 saleable asset this is a very negative outlook. Carswell and ZFA are on longer deals and, assuming they have decent injury free years, are possible sales next year. Add to that other players that will be brought in on the cheap in the next few weeks.

Then again, perhaps my glass is just half full ...

I think Carswell,ZFA & maybe even Moore could be saleable but first they need regular first team football which is unlikely tbh . We don't get more than buttons for established first team guys nevermind bit part players

This.

Ach, a season fighting in the bottom half of the table will maybe give a reality check to some of the moaners on here who have been complaining the last few years.

Why can't we just spend millions of cash we don't have on players we can't afford run up masses of debt get liquidated, call ourselves "The" Motherwell FC and start again in SFL3 or has that business model already been taken and that loophole closed? whistling.gif